• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update - Win2K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I HATE and distrust M$, but at the sane time want a fully patched and secure system. Just wondering if there were some things on Windows Update that I SHOULDN'T download? ...any spyware disguised, patches that don't do sh1t etc.

Also I would like to say that though I have found forums with more users and admin, this has always been the best forum i have ever come across! You guys seem to know everything. I've basically learn't everything I know from you guys! THX

Best I can tell you is that I made the mistake of doing a complete Critical Update download, and some part of the package screwed the whole 2K install up. I ended up having to do a reinstall. I have since left the whole thing alone, so I'm not sure what part of the DL was at fault.

I've never had a problem w/ Windows Update. The only things I avoid downloading are the Critical Update Notification and WMP 7.1 (6 does everything I need it to do, w/o anything else)

The only things I don't download is MSN Messenger and Critical Update Notifyer.

One is too buggy, and introduces security problems.
The other talks to M$ behind my back and tells me about every little hotfix that patches something i never use anyway.

That's why I don't care for the "Critical Update Notifyer" or the new one, "Windows Auto-Updater" that it keeps wanting me to install..

stool said:
Best I can tell you is that I made the mistake of doing a complete Critical Update download, and some part of the package screwed the whole 2K install up. I ended up having to do a reinstall. I have since left the whole thing alone, so I'm not sure what part of the DL was at fault.

I have a similar story. Running Win2k Pro, I did the critical updates, then I downloaded and installed SP-2. I tried to boot up again, and it came "Inacessable Boot Device". I tried "Fix MBR", and "Fix NTLDR", but it didn't help. I had to do a repair install. Someone suggested it was because I installed SP-2 after doing the critical updates, that I should have done it before.
Just in case you have a similar problem.

My only worry is by not updating I'm leaving a big security hole in my system. Otherwise everything works pukka! ...Apart from having a ****ting modem under 2K/XP, but I'll live with that till I get a nice new 'en just for 2K.

Another question. The only update I was thinking of was IE6. Is it any better from 5.01 5.02 or 5.5? I'm a bit of a web nut, but will I gain much ...Apart from the privacy tool, which I disable anyways ...Is is faster than previous versions, which again I doubt would be much ...A millisecond a most :D

avoid critical update and MSN messenger.

I have a WinXP laptop with IE6- don't like it.
I run 5.5 w/sp2 on my other stuff. It just seems to run better, and have fewer issues with some websites.

I don't mind IE6... it was a big deal to get rid of the stupid "media bar" when I first got it.. it kept wanting to run all the externals itself.. disabled that pretty quickly, and now it runs flawlessly on mine.. :)

did not notice any difference between 5.5 and 6, but 6 got a better look icon tho:D but again, we want the best looking window, then all xp babe:p dame.....when will my xp arrive....

Back