• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got my Thermaltake CRYSTAL ORB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dizzy0113

Registered
Im going to put in on my VIA333 Chipset (Epox 8k3a) and see if it helps out my FSB (right now 145 is bootable, but once in windows the computer doens't want to do any actual work).

Has anyone else tried cooling the chipset, has it helped?

if it doesn't do anything i just throw it on my GF4 and see if i can get a couple more frames on Soldier of fortune 2

I've been trying to oc my CPU but the max FSB i can get is 141 (This being 100% stable) Perhaps is i add a bigger cooler on the chipset i can oc more :confused:

dizzy0113 said:
Im going to put in on my VIA333 Chipset (Epox 8k3a) and see if it helps out my FSB (right now 145 is bootable, but once in windows the computer doens't want to do any actual work).

Has anyone else tried cooling the chipset, has it helped?

if it doesn't do anything i just throw it on my GF4 and see if i can get a couple more frames on Soldier of fortune 2

I don't think the Orb will help you much. The 8K3A is able to run at 200+MHz FSB with stock cooling. I really don't think it's your motherboard that's holding you back. What kind of RAM's do you have?

You could make a heat spreader and attach it to the RAM but in regards to the chipset. You could just lap down the current heatsink and then add a small fan(attach it with silicone). You could also remove the fan from the Heatsink and use it to cool your hard drives or the back of your video card.

FYI the glue they use on the heatync now DOESNOT transfer HEAT- i pulled mine off cause it was always cold- then touched the chip *OUCH* HOT! Definatly put somethin else on there!
SPyder

The Spyder said:
FYI the glue they use on the heatync now DOESNOT transfer HEAT- i pulled mine off cause it was always cold- then touched the chip *OUCH* HOT! Definatly put somethin else on there!
SPyder

Well, aparently GB did something correct. My Northbridge heatsink is nice and hot. Now that I think about it, lemme pop a fan on it. brb. :)

Re: Re: I just got my Thermaltake CRYSTAL ORB

Walter:-) said:

I don't think the Orb will help you much. The 8K3A is able to run at 200+MHz FSB with stock cooling. I really don't think it's your motherboard that's holding you back. What kind of RAM's do you have?

My System:

EPOX 8K3A
2000XP (I will unlock it this weekend) w/Alpha 8045 with that loud 68.5 CFM Delta Fan
2x256MB Crucial PC2100 w/ Thermaltake Heatsink on one side and Spreader on the other side
VistionTek 4600
Creative Soundblaster 5.1
Case: 2 x 120MM Side fans blowing on CPU/AGP/PCIs + 80MM Exhust and 2 in PS

JokerHCG said:
You could make a heat spreader and attach it to the RAM but in regards to the chipset. You could just lap down the current heatsink and then add a small fan(attach it with silicone). You could also remove the fan from the Heatsink and use it to cool your hard drives or the back of your video card.

I just looked and my Epox board doesn't have pins to hold the heat sink on the VIA333, it’s just stuck on there, so now I have to place another order at newegg and wait another week to get some Arctic Epoxy for the CORB. Oh well, I’m still unlocking it this weekend though!!!

Last message was supposed to correspond to:

SPyder

oooops

Ive just moded my chipset heatsink with the fan from my ram cooler. It runs at 6000 RPM... ive tryed oc but dosent do squat :mad: so i dont think the chipset has got much to do with oc :(

lap the bottom of your orb, get all that chrome stuff off, since the things all copper you might as well have the chipset touch the copper itself

Arctic Silver Adhesive

Has anyone used Arctic Silver Adhesive?

What do you guys think about the double sided tape that came with the Corb, is it worth it to use the Arctic Silver Adhesive over the tape?

i wouldn't use that stuff, they gave me the same stuff to use with my hardcanoe II to like stick the sensors under my CPU, and whaterver i wanna put the other one on.. :)

Voodoo_fx said:
i wouldn't use that stuff, they gave me the same stuff to use with my hardcanoe II to like stick the sensors under my CPU, and whaterver i wanna put the other one on.. :)

Wouldn't use the stuff that came with the corb or the Artic Silver Glue?

dizzy0113 said:

Wouldn't use the stuff that came with the corb or the Artic Silver Glue?

He probably means the stuff comes with the corb. I've never heard of Arctic Silver Glue either. :eh?:

With the 8k3a+ and 8k3a you really need an unlocked cpu to get higher fsbs, more so than with other boards. Also if you are still using the old bios there is a bug, the fsb from somwhere in the 140s-160s will not boot or will cause problems. This could be holding you back.

WHAT!??!?!?! no holes on the epox 8k3a for mounting a chipset heatsink or waterblock?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

if you get that stuff on the traces your screwed, get artic alumina

the epox board has the holes? i just looked at the pic at newegg, and it has holes for mounting heatsinks on it...

Back