• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interested in watercooling, but confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
I am interested in water cooling, but I dont really understand how it works. could someone tell me all the components you need and what they do? and the order?

Waterblock: This is equal to your HSF in watercooling, it is what sits on top of your CPU.

Radiator: This is what cools the water after it comes off your waterblock. You need a fan(s) to pull air through it to cool the water in the (usually) copper tubes.

Resevoir: Your water tank, not needed but usually prefered.

Pump: What moves the water through your system.

These are pretty much the basics, I'm sure someone else who actually has a watercooled setup can give you more details if needed. The best info is in previous posts on these forums, so use the search feature.

Edit: I type fast Yodums :beer:

Last edited:
Pump - Pushes the water through the watercooling system itself. A pump can come as inline or be submerged. Inline doesn't use a reservoir, and refilled through the tubes.......

Radiator - You can think of this as a heatsink. Has channels for the water to flow in while the fans ontop of it cool it.

Waterblock - Equivilant to a heatsink but it is meant for the water to go in. Has channels inside for the water to flow in, and has fittings sticking out the top for the tubing to run through it.

That's just the main components to watercooling. My explination was quick so you might want to go to the frontpage and read in the watercooling system more guides.

You can order at a variety of places like Dangerden.com or Geminicool.com

You'll have to wait for users to reply that know more watercooling stuff than me :D

Edit: LOL Judge, we posted at the sametime although you beat me you posted the samething :D

youll need tubing, 3/8 is the best for normal applications but if you intend on adding a pelt or 2 then you should go with 1/2 and hose clamps. JudgeDredd pretty much got the basic stuff youll need

*edit* going to the front page and through the watercooling section is a good idea here is the article i followed

what pumps are good ones like brand names eheim or something? also, for waterblock look like maze3 is the best right? Also, what is a good radiator? For resevoir can I jus make a plexiglass box and seal it?

I would suggest going to the main page, then to "tips and articles" then click on "watercooling". There should be some detailed explanations of how all this stuff works..

The water goes around through the "system". You pump water to the waterblock (which cools the CPU). The heated water from the waterblock goes to the radiator, which then cools the water. You then go back to the CPU again.

Maze3, Gemini Spir@l, I hear those are good. Just a general heatercore should work. If you need something really small, check out the Black Ice rads.

I am not sure about the rez.

what online stores sell all this stuff and has pics? and is a heatercore a type of radiator?

what online stores sell all this stuff and has pics? and is a heatercore a type of radiator? Also, how do you avoid leaks... and how do you have to drain the water when the pc's off?

dxiw said:
what online stores sell all this stuff and has pics? and is a heatercore a type of radiator? Also, how do you avoid leaks... and how do you have to drain the water when the pc's off?

Danger Den (www.dangerden.com) sells all the parts needed for a simple setup. If you get a waterblock from them get a Maze2 or a Maze3 with copper top. Eheim pumps are considered the best, yet they are very expensive, if cost is an issue I would recomend a Maxi-Jet 1200 or Via Aqua 1300, both cost about $20.

Heatercores are actualy opposide of a radiator when used in cars, but when used in a wattercooling system they are the cheapest and most effective way to cool the water.

The easiest way to avoid leaks is to take your time. Make sure all of your tubing is pushed onto the barb as far as it will go. Then run 2 or 3 zip ties around each barb to hold the tubing on. Some people prefere to use hose clamps to do this, both work equaly well but zip ties are cheaper.

There should be no need to drain the water when the PC is off.

algea can be but chems take care of it. you need a anti algea agent, water wetter comes with it i think. the stuff they use for pools works too.

use water wetter to stop corrsion and algae it also helps the thermal transfer of water, dangerden is a good online store. a heater core is a rad. you aviod leaks by uising hose clamps on all you connections and testing it for a couple of days before putting it into you computer case.

Back