• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We should name our computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I name mine for my network.

FeralMain
FeralGame
FeralMedia
FeralServ
FeralFold1
FeralFold2
FeralFold3
FeralFold4

well one of my computers is called NEWBLUEIN02 because I built it new, it has a blue cathode and blue window in it, and it was born in 2002.

Sure, I will play. Most of these come from MZB's Darkover series, just like Ridenow does.

Mine is Alton
Mom's is Natasha (think Rocky & Bullwinkle)
Dad's is Boris (of course)
Domain controller is Elhalyn
Router is Hastur
98 box is Ardais
Laptop is Alderan

Then I built 3 boxes at once, they were black, so they ended up:
TMO0
TMO1
TMO2

Think 2001 by Clarke (Tycho Monolith Object)

We also name our cars.
Mine is Kitten
Mom's is Cherry
Dad's car is Ike
Van is Junior
Girl friend's is Max(ine)

hmm ok mines kinda dumb but has a theme of somesort at least.
FRIEKEN AMD1 -main rig
FRIEKEN AMD2 -backup
AMD FRIEKS-is my workgroup for my network.

hmm im kinda stuck on the FRIEK theme if you havent noticed.
all my computers are owned by "doug j. johanson" tho and he gets mail at [email protected]" i have a privacy issue can ya tell?

--Main box is named Angband:
(The fortress of Morgoth, the guy for whom Sauron was just a random minion, way before Lord of the Rings)
--Laptop is named Tallgeese:
(A fast and acrobatic mobile suit from Gundam Wing, seemed fitting for a fast and mobile computer)
--General server named Libra:
(Space station from Gundam Wing, seemed fitting for a server running alot of services)
--Email/extra file server named Vger:
(In on of the Star Trek movies, this was the name of the original Voyager probe which went really far away and did stuff. The machine was originally being built for deployment somewhere far away)
--A spare box named Mercurius:
(This is a blue and white G3 that is just used for experimentation, not the fastest machine but a real tank. Seemed fitting to name it after a mobile suit that was small on defense and big on offense)
--Another one named Vayeate:
(This is a spare box that had a relatively powerful cpu and a good amount of ram, but not much disk space and a weak video card. Its namesake is mostly offensive, with little defense. A partner to the Mercurius)
--PDA named Virgo:
(Well, this has 64mb of ram, a network interface, and sometimes a non-trivial amount of storage and is a host on my lan from time to time, and runs a perfectly normal OS (Linux))

Vayeate is being used to build a new server image for another machine somewhere else, that one is named Tantive4 (the Corellian Corvette carrying Princess Leia at the beginning of Episode 4).

All of them resolve with .xwredwing.net as their domain in their fqdns also.

Main Rig: BABY
It's been called that ever since I first built it and my sister was joking that I "spoiled it as if it were my first baby or something"

Secondary Machine: FIZ
I made a javascript character that follows the cursor all over the desktop and dances when he's bored. FIZ now occupies this machine. FIZ seemed like an appropriate name, and it stuck once I figured out what it could be an abbreviation of (Friendly Interface Zone).
I might change this machine's name once I get the bomberman theme finished. But then again, bomberman doesn't have a name.

My comp is Macomp and my other rig is Crazy, on the network anyways, but i like to think of mine as joe and the other as bob

names

Guru- XP @ 2250
Piccolo- XP @ 1767
Mael- XP @ 1716
Dende- Celeron @ 500 laptop

Network Names
comp1: Borg (gateway,web server,file server)
comp2: Defiant (my older brothers gaming comp)
comp3: Cheetor (my comp)
comp4: Patches (my moms comp)
comp5: Voyager (my little brothers comp)

I've gotta be the most original:

network names:

Athlon
eMachine
SeRVo
Aaron
Nick -my cuzins comp name (he's on my lan so much I hafta count him in :)

right i just use girls names that i know at school, so my main rig (in the sig) is named Lisa, and my POS celeron is Christine.
Lisa named her comp Jason, that's my name:) she's not even a nerd and i convinced her to do it!

and Christine doesn't know i stole her name...

When i connected to my last LAN party, everyone's like "who's Lisa." (p.s. everyone that was at the LAN knows Lisa at my school, and a guy named Jon likes her), and i proudly raised my hand and said, "Yeah, it's mine." Jon looked ****ed, and everyone else just did this --->:rolleyes:

Home rigs:
beyond
isis
daedalus
ranma

On a related--and yet irrelevant--note, when I was in college all of the computers in one of the labs had girls names. I had a friend who would stumble in bleary-eyed in the morning and say "Oh man am I tired, I was on Jenny all night!"

This would be the Collossus.
My dad's would be the Sathanas.
My sister's would be the Aquitaine.
My 250 is the Fenris.
My 188 is the Perseus.
My laptop is the Elysium.

Now excuse me while I go make this post true. :)

I called the first hardcore rig I built for myself "Thud", for the sound I made when I added up how much it would cost.

The name stuck. Thud 1.0 (a Slot One Intel setup) went through several upgrades before I made it my SOHO rig and started a fresh Athlon rig for Thud 2.0. That ended last year in a messy divorce between myself and VIA chipsets.

I'm now working on Thud 3.0, which will be a P4 setup. Because of the mod theme for this project it also has a second name, the Fiorano.

You might wonder-as I have about you-what are the odds of my confessing pet names for my computer if I were posting under my real name, or if I knew any of you in real life?

Heh heh. Fuggedaboutit.

BHD

Back