• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF3 prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodean

I've reading lately about how low GF3 prices are in US... I just check the price here in Finland, and it's ~$650! Holy f*ck!

What are the prices in other countries in Europe?

I live in Holland (The Netherlands) and these are the prices:
Lowest ~$477
Average ~$562 (left out 1)
Highest (this is the 1---^ )Hold yourself tight ~$!!54 cough,cough

Prices are in US Dollar

Hmmm.... do I see a market for buying the VisionTek GF3 at $399.99US, selling on Ebay to European customers..... hmmmm......

Steve (Apr 24, 2001 03:18 p.m.):
Hmmm.... do I see a market for buying the VisionTek GF3 at $399.99US, selling on Ebay to European customers..... hmmmm......

Nope...since $399 is already overpriced, no one would be interested in buying.

Just check back on the price... It's a bit under $500 now. Quite odd, OEM is 100marks more than retail.
BTW, I'm using a very simple conversion method for those prices, 6marks=$1. That would be closer to €, but what the heck, the difference isn't that big.

GF3 even lower....

Go to SpartanTech ... they're selling the ASUS V8200 (GeForce3 64M) for $389US + $12US FedEx = $401US!!! And I've heard rumors of the ASUS GeForce3 boards coming with 3.8ns RAM!!!! Most other 3.8ns RAM GeForce3s (see Prophet III and Gladiac 920) are in the $550US price range....

Yes... 3.8ns is nVidia spec but I've seen GF3 boards out there that have the 4ns RAM..... the price difference is ussually $150US (3.8ns RAM @ $550US, 4ns RAM @ $400US) .... am I correct in this assumption?

Stupid mfg's... They're ripping people of for 0.2ns! It drops the speed of the memory by 10MHz also! That is much, atleast on a MX. I'll sit tight with my MX until 3.8ns is cheap, or <3.8ns cards get here.

gf3 mmmmmm yeah nice dream in the uk your gonna hafta sell your kidney to get one of those puppies,,best advice, wait 6 months til the price drops and they've worked all the bugs outta it

^uriel (Apr 28, 2001 02:08 a.m.):
gf3 mmmmmm yeah nice dream in the uk your gonna hafta sell your kidney to get one of those puppies,,best advice, wait 6 months til the price drops and they've worked all the bugs outta it

Yes, wait 6 months... 6 months is the production cycle. By then NV30 is out or is coming out soon. Have to get it while it's the best in the market!

asmodean(r) (Apr 30, 2001 12:43 a.m.):
Yes, wait 6 months... 6 months is the production cycle. By then NV30 is out or is coming out soon. Have to get it while it's the best in the market!

Why? I hate to say it, but it kind of seems like you're choking down a lot of Nvidia's hype here. ;-)

Hmm... might be... I'm just very convinced that the GeForce-family of cards is the best at the moment. Sure, Radeon is good also, but from what I've read, their drivers don't cut it. And the price is a bit higher than Nvidias...
3dfx is out of the question, as they're not in business & their cards lack T&L and are overpriced compared to the performanence they deliver.
Kyro II seems to kick some GF2 butt, even without a T&L unit. Tile based rendering seems to be the future, if it gets some improvement (for alpha, etc). Then there's Matrox... Not for gaming.

This is the same thing as with CPUs: One sides with AMD, the other with Intel.

Gimme a industrial-grade GPU anyday, with support for gaming also. I'll DONATE my MX then.

I don't like the short cycles, but what can I do?
I'd like to see commercial programmers use the full potential of the products, but that won't happen easily, as they get the newest equipment w/newest effects and start using them... Sad but true.

Look at Windows & Linux for instance. Windows is bloated. Linux isn't. Windows NEEDS a lot of power, whereas Linux doesn't. Reason? Linux is made by people who actually care about it. Windows isn't.

I wasn't saying anything about whether the GF3 was good or not. I honestly couldn't care less about whether it is the best currently available. I was wondering why you thought it was necessary to buy it IMMEDIATELY instead of waiting 6 months and picking it up at a much lower cost.

Frankly, I think this is one of the worst times to buy a graphics card. Nvidia has come out with their pilot graphics card (aka GF3) which will set the stage for what is to come in the future. None of the features are used yet, and none of it's extra speed is really required. Because no competitive product is on the market, the price is insanely high.

In 6 months the following things will happen: 1) A newer Nvidia card will hit the market, 2) ATi's newest offering, the Radeon II will hit the market. 3) Cards from BitBoys (unlikely), S3 and Matrox will hit the market (my money is on S3). 4) Thanks to the previous 3, graphics card prices will drop dramatically.

The thing to keep in mind is Nvidia is not really driving the graphics market. They're just sort of orienting the direction it will go in. Nvidia needs ATi, and others to release cards supporting the same new features as the Geforce3, if they want to have any serious hope of having them supported in games. Nvidia may have released a product now, but things don't start to get exciting until the other guys' products hit the market.

In short, Nvidia's 6 month cycle, gives them the advantage of dictating where the graphics market will go in the future, but competitively, I don't think it really gives them much real advantage over those with 12 month cycles. Hold off for the future, it looks much more bright and eventful than the currently bleak graphics landscape.

I agree almost totally with you Nagorak, you just misunderstood my post somewhat. What I meant by 'getting it while it's the best', is getting it when there aren't better alternatives yet, but the price has gone down enough.

Back