Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    10 Year Badge

Question Performance difference between Kyro II and Geforce II Ultra?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm running a Kyro II 64MB card right now and I've got the chance to upgrade it to a Geforce II Ultra soon, for about 50$ (the est thing is that I can sell my Kyro II also for 50$, thus I won't pay a penny for the Geforce ).
    Now I'd like to know what the peformance difference will be like on my Celeron 1000 Tualatin @1500 MHz machine.

Thx in advance

Ingo
    Last edited by Celemine1Gig; 06-19-02 at 08:36 AM.
    Nothing to be seen here. Just move along people. ;-)

You should notice quite a difference... plus you drivers will be so much better when it comes to game support. I know, I just got rid of my kyro. I tried a friends GF2 GTS in my box and I could tell a speed difference between the kyro and the GTS.

10 Year Badge

Talking

Thanks for your reply! In the menatime, I already took a look at the VGA-Chart at www.rivastation.com and saw that there's a huge performance difference between the two cards, with the Geforce II Ultra clearly in the lead.

I think I'll be happy, if the deal is done.

Hey, from a fellow kyro 2 owner, thanks for the link to that chart!

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Ive seen the card beat a Gf2 ultra in FPS, but it gives poor 3dmarks because of its tile based rendering and no hardware T&L support...

Just thought I'd point out what Ive seen...

Main Rig..........................Game Server............................................ Media Server..............Untangle.....................N vidia Shield
    Core i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz ........Phenom II X4 965 w/CM Hyper 612.............Core i3 2100.......... Athlon X2 2350-BE....... Android 4.4.2
    GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ..............GA-890GPA-UD3H.....................................MSI p67A-gd-65...........MSI 785GTM-45..........16gb mSDHC
    16gb Partriot S5..........................G.Skill 2x2gb 1333.....................................4gb DDR3 1333...........4gb OCZ DDR2 1066
    EVGA GTX 770 SC w/ACX .................XFX 8800gt+Asus 8400gs
    60gb OCZ Summit..............................4x250gb WD RE Raid0
    HGST 2x2tb Raid 0
    ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED

The difference that you get may not be that great. The reason for this is that the Kyro II scales extremely well with CPU speed so depending on the game you may or may not get an increase. I would hold off in getting the GF2 Ultra and save it for at least a Geforce3/Radeon 8500. For now you should get some better cooling, perform a voltage mod, and overclock your Kyro II.

10 Year Badge
    yes, because 3dmark was pretty much designed for Nvidia cards, the KyroII scores badly....however in REAL GAMES....i dont think you will see too much of a difference, not one worth 50$ anyway...

"Strong with the fold this boy is, fold you must"-NASSoccer
    its a shame you cant ban people for being ignorant fanboys....
    My Heatware
    [Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4][PHII 940BE][Thermalright Ultra90][2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC][Palit HD4850][Enhance 5150GH][Windows 7,Ubuntu 12.04]

I noticed no real-world performance differance in 90% of games on a Kyro 2 vs. a GF2. In fact, I prefered the Kyro 2 because I liked it's 32 bit display better and it ran UT quicker.

I'd save your 50 bux for a better card.. something with a vertex shader.
    C2D (WK 27"A")on ASUS P5B-E
    3483Mhz/387Mhz FSB 1.454Vcore(Load Actual) 1.575(set)
    Crucial PC-8500 2GB @ 967Mhz 5-5-4-12 2.1Vmem
    ATI x1900XTX @ 739/1700 1.48Vgpu/2.12Vmem
    150GB WD Raptor SATA HD
    OCZ PowerStream 520w PS
    Audigy X-Fi "Fatal1ty" UGH I can't stand endorsements...
    Watercooled CPU/GPU; Mix of Danger Den and homebrew components
    and the best monitor ever made:)
    http://www.bf2player.com/sig/3295585-912.png

Yeah, you can get an R8500 for 100 bucks from newegg right now...seems like a steal...

Well if his location is accurate then I don't think he can order from newegg.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Try this chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol2/15/vga.html

kyro - 175/175 SDR
    gf2 ultra - 250/460 DDR

Yes I think you would notice a difference.

-PC
    Main - i5 3570K 4.8ghz | eVGA Z77 FTW | 2x GTX 670 2GB | 16GB DDR3 2133 | Toshiba Q-series 256GB | XFX 850w Black
    HTPC - Pentium G630 | Intel DH77EB | GT 620 | 4GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | Silverstone ST50F-P
    Big Screen Gaming - i5 2500K 4.4ghz | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | GTX 650 Ti BOOST | 8GB DDR3 2133 | Momentus XT 500GB | Corsair CX500
    Travel - UX32VD-DH71 | i7 3517U | 10GB DDR3 1600 | GT 620M --Ultrabook life
    13U Rack - Full of goodies...

HeatWare

Again, it depends on the games you play.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1580

btw, Cullam3n, what games are do you play?

Opps, Er ist aus Deutchland (please excuse the poor german...)

I didn't realize that. He should still be able to find some decent deals out there for more sophisticated graphics cards at pretty remarkable prices though...I'm with those that say wait and save some pennies up! errr...i mean "marks" up

I agree... why don't you just save up some pennies and get yourself a Geforce 3 or 4 or a 8500?

10 Year Badge
    Originally posted by Cullam3n
    Try this chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol2/15/vga.html

kyro - 175/175 SDR
    gf2 ultra - 250/460 DDR

Yes I think you would notice a difference.

-PC
    the efficiency of the tile based rendering system makes comparing clock speeds inaccurate....thats like saying that an Athlon 1.4 is slower than a P4 1.6 when we all know it isnt...

"Strong with the fold this boy is, fold you must"-NASSoccer
    its a shame you cant ban people for being ignorant fanboys....
    My Heatware
    [Gigabyte MA790X-UDP4][PHII 940BE][Thermalright Ultra90][2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC][Palit HD4850][Enhance 5150GH][Windows 7,Ubuntu 12.04]

10 Year Badge

Talking

Well, I agree with all of you. Every of these posts is right in some way, but I'll mainly play Max Payne, GTA3, RTCW and so on and these games are really faster on the GF2 Ultra!

But the most important fact, that makes me perform this upgrade, is that it won't cost me a penny because I'll buy the GF2 Ultra for 50 bucks, and then I'll sell my Kyro II on eBay for the same 50 bucks! So all in all I'll have a faster card without paying one dollar!

BTW, @garasaki:
    "Opps, Er ist aus Deutchland (please excuse the poor german...)"

No need to apologize! The sentence was written in completely correct German. Sounds just like it would be your mother tongue

Gee thanks! Ich spreche deutsch, aber nict sehr gut...

Its funny how everyone (or at least I did) totally missed to zero cost to you part. But I still think you might be better off to get a more advanced card, even though you'll have to drop 50 to 100 bucks on it...I think it'll be worth it in the long run...

10 Year Badge

Talking

Yes, I agree, that if you consider long term usage, than another/better card would be the way to go, but my current box will soon be only my secondary system and I'll build a new primary PC with, I think a GF4 TI 4200 and a Tualatin Celeron 1000@1666MHz+?? (or maybe a P4 1.6GHz@? NW, I dunno).

So in my opinion, the Geforce 2 Ultra will be more than enough for the secondary box with the Celeron Tualatin at 1,5GHz!

Thanks though for all your replies!

And again @garasaki:
    I'm impressed, your German is really good(if one considers that it's not very likely that you use it everyday).
    This sentence again was written in correct German.
    "Ich spreche deutsch, aber nict sehr gut..."
    No fault, besides the tiny mistake, that "nicht" is written with "ch", but I think that was only a typo!

BTW, is my English more or less correct??? I ask, because I chose English as one of my primary subjects at school, and it's very important for my graduation. So I always try to improve my English, to get better marks(and of course to be able to comment everything here in the forums).

Well, I just went back thru your posts and looked for any signs of bad english...couldn't find anything! Perfect grammar and all! I mean, if I looked REAL close, I could tell that you're "not from around here" just because of a few of the phrases you use, but I could only tell by looking real close. And I'm sure technical conversation has to be challenging for someone who hasn't spoken english their whole lives!

I took german in high school, 4 years ago...and haven't really spoken any since...I can only recall a few short phrases...and I never really knew all that much to begin with!

10 Year Badge
    Thanks! That really strengthens my self confidence !

I have to admit that it's much harder to learn German(of course only if you're not a native speaker ) than to learn English or for example French, because the German grammar is so difficult. So if I wasn't a native speaker, had learned German at school and hadn't spoken a German word for 4 years, I doubt that I would be able to say one correct sentence.
    Last edited by Celemine1Gig; 06-20-02 at 09:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast