• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fan Mania

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

Ok Im having problems deciding what to do for case cooling. I have 4 80 mm case fans (2 sunon, 2 generic). The problem is that my PSU air pushes a lot more han the other crap, yet its intake is in the front rather than underneath.

I see a 3 degree difference with the side of the case off, this must be rememdied! Does anyone know a solution to this? Preferrably a solution where i dont have to buy anything.Maybe a ghettoish air chute thing in front of the PSU and CPU, or some kind of PSU mod... If not free at least a cheap hardware store type mod...

An easy way to better the cooling is to simply clean up the inside of the case. Get all your cables out of the way, get the dust out, etc... Make sure the air has a clear path from intake to exhaust. An ideal clean case would look something like this: http://vp.gideontech.com/vp/aaz?full=1 .

Next, check the fan grills. Most cases come with built in fan grills that are BAD. I know yours does because even ghetto 80mm fans should push more air than the PSU exhaust, your fans must be badly restricted! You can get a metal cutting hacksaw blade (you don't even need the hacksaw) to chop the crap grills off, it takes five minutes if you're not all scrawny and only costs like 85 cents. If you're unlucky enough to have the mesh-type grills (lots of little square holes) you may need a power tool to chop em out, like a dremel. Your dad might have something like that laying around.

--Illah

Illah said:
An easy way to better the cooling is to simply clean up the inside of the case. Get all your cables out of the way, get the dust out, etc... Make sure the air has a clear path from intake to exhaust. An ideal clean case would look something like this: http://vp.gideontech.com/vp/aaz?full=1 .

Next, check the fan grills. Most cases come with built in fan grills that are BAD. I know yours does because even ghetto 80mm fans should push more air than the PSU exhaust, your fans must be badly restricted! You can get a metal cutting hacksaw blade (you don't even need the hacksaw) to chop the crap grills off, it takes five minutes if you're not all scrawny and only costs like 85 cents. If you're unlucky enough to have the mesh-type grills (lots of little square holes) you may need a power tool to chop em out, like a dremel. Your dad might have something like that laying around.

--Illah

It is well cleaned out, i have about 200 feet of zip tie holding everything together :D. The grills are cut (though im not happy with airflow through the plastic case front yet). Furthermore, Sunons are just kind of quiet and not great performing, and for some reason my PSU is just powerful....i dont know why!
So perhaps you know a way of making my PSU cool something besides my cd rom...? ;)

How effective would it be to reverse the flow of my whole case, so that the 2 in the rear are intakes, and the PSU and 1 or both of the other fans is an exhaust?

Demont said:
How effective would it be to reverse the flow of my whole case, so that the 2 in the rear are intakes, and the PSU and 1 or both of the other fans is an exhaust?

Hooray, I answered my own question i guess. My CPU is at 41 C from 44 C. Temps being the same with case side on or off is cool!
Here is what my case is now:

[edit] Blue Arrows are Intakes, Red are Exhausts. Sky Blue stuff is my theoretical airflow. sorry for my poor mspaint skills [/edit]

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure why your method worked.. Because, cold air is always on the bottom, hot air rises, so your circulating hot air instead of exhausting it..

Hmm.

well if you looked at the second um "illustration" (i use that term loosely) i have the 3 lower fans shooting in cold air, and the PSU fan and the other upper fan (the one taking up 2 5in bays) shooting out. So I have some sort of mushroom cloud pattern going i guess... I'd have to get a cigarette to test...

Back