• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Cent's Worth Wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suah

Hi, can anyone enlighten me on the difference between a 64 and 32 mb vid card of the same make?Will it make a great difference?and if so by what standards?If i have to chose between leadtek and asus which one performs better for the GF2 GTS make?

Theres a similar debate to this going on elsewhere in this forum although that is can you tell the difference between 16 bit and 32 bit.
In this situation I don't just think its just a matter of what graphic card or how much ram, as the quality of the monitor must count to a certain degree along with what the card is being used for. Personally I believe that my old Matrox G400 created a better quality general Windows image than my Gforce however the Gforce is better in games, however this is just my opinion and should be taken as such. I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference between 32 and 64 mb of RAM on a graphics card myself, but then again until my 32 mb doesn't do the job I cant see myself getting a 64 mb card.

----------

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

Suah,

the only difference between 32 and 64 MB of video memory is the amount of texture bitmaps an application can load into it.
Up to now the standard is 32MB and most of the games out there use only this 32MB. When 64MB will come more popular this will change.

With "only" 32MB an application can already use more texture data than would fit on it by using the AGP feature -> textures are located in system memory and accesed by the gfx chip via the agp port.
The only problem is, that the agp memory access is slower then the onboard video memory.

Hope that helped

MikeZ

Most apps don't even take advantage of all the onboard memory on the 32 MB cards. Don't sweat getting a 64 unless you plan on have this card for a year+, when newer games MIGHT take advantage. I currently user 32 and it appears to work just fine on all the intensive multiplayer games like quake 3 and UT.

It's my experience that most of the NVidia 64MB cards have faster DDR memory on them just because they are newer. Faster memory gives a few extra FPS. My 2 cents.

Back