• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordracr

Registered
I just got my new AMD 1900XP up and running with MUSHKIN CL2 512 DDR 2700 on a SOYO kt333 Dragon MOBO. I am running Win XP PRO BUILD 2600. I get RANDOM restarts and I can't seem to figure out why. I checked to make sure there was no lose metal in the case, and I have downloaded every new driver you can imagine. I even flashed my bios to the newest one. This restarting is COMPLETELY RANDOM.. I need your HELP GUYS...

Here is what I have done.. I am using 2 PowerStrips now to spit up the plugs to different wall jacks. I am using a 300 WATT ATX ANTEC power supply. I had ALOT IN MY SYSTEM! so I removed my Tvtuner card, and a CD-ROM I hardly ever used. Here is what I got left...

AMD 1900XP
512 CL2 DDR 2700MHZ MUSHKIN
Soyo Kt333 DRAGON
2 MAXTOR 40 GIGS
TDK BURNER
SOUNDBLASTER LIVE
Linksys NIC
GEFORCE 4 Ti 4200 O'clocked to 4400 SPECS
Nvidia TNT2 (for dual moniters)
2 90 MM fans, and a ton of little Fans

My question is... Am I overloading my PSU?? When I look at my stats my 5V is only like at 4.96... is this normal?? I need HELP PLEASE!! this is new... my OLD cumine P3 ran fine on this system with the GF4.

AMD's are extermely sensitive to voltage problems, especially on the 5vline. Power could be the problem, although 4.96v is fine (I have one that is typically at 4.82v but never EVER goes below 1.78v- 100%stable)

My suggestion: take out EVERY drive that is not mandatory: burner, cd, 2nd hdd and try the system in as minimal a config as possible: if it is fine that way then you probably need a better psu.
IF you still have trouble, I'd say the power is fine, and its either a hardware conflict or software/ driver problem.

Hey, I don't like WinXP, but even I know it ain't that bad;)

Thats where I'd start: eliminate the power first before digging for software/hardware issues: they are probably more likely, but it won't take long to check the psu. I would run the minimal rig for at least 24 hours though.

OK I jsut did a new test... MY DAMN 12V line is at 9.5V!!! DAMN !! Could this be it???

Well, it ain't a good sign!

Could be worse though: not enough power isn't going to damage anything, and a decent psu can be had cheap.

Replace it and you will be fine, I'm thinking!

do u use power spliters (y spliters) i had one to my swap file and got some cos i used power spliter (all my advice comes from my own mistakes!!)
bsod about page files out of range
if this is it then try it with out
did u use a multi meter to test 12 volt line ??

Back