• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on a P166MMX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
P166MMX, 32MB Ram, 1GB HDD.

Can it fold? If so I have a Home network here, so if it can connect to the internet via that then it should b able to send/recieve in time.

What is the deadline for a WU anyway? I have plenty of 486's lying dormont:(

:beer:
M_N ;)

That 166 should be able to meet most of the deadlines, are there any overclocking capabilities? If not, can you run softfsb on it? If you're able to sqeeze anything extra out of it, it will do just fine. My p166 is at stock and does finish most of them in time. Even though it's more a waste of electric than it's worth, I use mine at work as a dumb terminal on the network, so it's processor basically sits idle constantly.

forget p166mmx... there will be some WUs you can't fold in time even if it was on 24h/d... tested that on p200mmx and native5bba

If it is an MMX CPU, you might be able to run this board at 400 with a K6-2. The 2x multiplier is read as 6x by any K6 over 400. I did this once with a P.O.S. Biostar board that was only supposed to run 200 max. Just in case you didn't know.

Ok,
What voltage does the K6 run on compared to the P166? I have a k6-400 + Mobo (Mobo dead) so it may well be worth giving it a try.

I don't see how a k6-400 can work in a Pentium 166 board tho....

M_N

If you want to try it: get the latest BIOS available for the board, they often had the capability of recognizing the earliest K6-2's. You'll probably have to set the voltage as low as it will go, this may be 2.8 volts. That is definitely on the high side for a K6-2, but it'll work with a decent fan. 2.4 is usually default, you'll have to check your board. And as I mentioned before, set the multiplier for 2 which will be seen as 6 by the CPU, 6x6=400. Also experiment with the FSB jumper(s), there may be an unofficial setting for 75 or even 83 MHz.

I won't be albe to get a BIOS for it:(
Its a very unkown name, it was made by a German Firm called Vobis Highscreen, they went out of business a long time ago (shortly after the PC was purchased thus ending the warranty) and there is no website and so on...

Thanks for the help tho, I have a k6-400 + Mobo I'm testing with no avail, maybe it someone has a capable board I can get that 400 going!

Thanks,
M_N

Oh well, K6-2's are pretty poor for folding anyway. I have a K6-2+ 475@600, and a frame that will take my Athlon less than 10 minutes to complete will take it 45 minutes!
By the Passmark Performance Test, even with a 200 MHz advantage, it trails a 400 P2 by about 25% in floating point performance.

I don't know about the regular K6-2, but I do know that my K6-2+ and my brother's K6-3+ fold around the same speed as a Celeron of their clock speed. They're not world-beaters, but will average about 10 points per week.

muddocktor

I think for folding the standard K6-2 is probably no different than the plus series. Though it's (the plus) improved with a die shrink, and on die L2 cache, the basic architecture, and poor floating point performance, is the same. 10 points a week is still better than zero!

Back