• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which came first chicken or the egg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You won't be able to cool them all in parallel---the pump won't be putting out that much water! It'd be....a trickle.
When you watercool, there isn't a huge difference in the temps from the in and the out, so it should do fine.
In the diagram that I made, I took the heat into account.
The CPU is the biggest heat producer, so I didn't connect it to anything else.
The GPU is the next largest heat producer, but it isn't as much as the CPU, which is why I said to connect the GPU's out to the northbridge's in. Also, I wanted the GPU to have the colder water.
You don't have to have everything supercold--as long as everything isn't overheating, you're fine. It's just not worth it to spend extra time and money on parallel cooling just to get a few degrees cooler.
Now, if he wants to, that's a completely different story, and I'll gladly help him. But, I was just trying to keep things simple. :cool:

I'l try to explain how a MB works for you (this is in geniral, this may not be correct for all MB's). theres three really important chips on the MB: CPU, Northbridge, southbridge. The Northbridge controls the memory and AGP. The Southbridge controls the PCI, IDE, sound, and input/outputs (usb, ps2...). Remember this is in geniral, some boards may differ.

technically, the northbridge is only on amds, intel decided to name it the mch (memory controller hub), pretty much the same thing though. It handles the faster buses of the computer, while the southbridge handles the slower buses.

hi

thanks guys

yes all this info is like WOW!

but this is definatly the place for guidence from people who know!

i'm still waiting for my kit to arrive so this time we have here is all food for thought before i get the big boots on and tolls come out

heres a thought i have seen the res/header tank at the bottom of cases?

how is one surposed to fill it with water? to get air out

surely the header should be at the highest point?

and is an open circuit better to get rid of airation? say a pipe off inline to the top of the case so never collecting air on the walls of water system?

let us know guys before i cut the pipes!

cheers..........

You are correct in that usually you want your reservoir or air trap to be at the highest point in

the system.

Some of us place it where it is conveniant and simply flip around/rotate the other components

like the water block and rad, so that the trapped air is dislodged and moves through back to the

res.

This usually works to remove air as long as you keep your pump below water level.

For the most part a res makes it easier to fill the system, and when placed at the top definitely

makes it easier to bleed I would say.

Now - you can do exactly what you said and put in a T-line, that runs a peice of tubing to the

highest point of the case, and that will also remove trapped air. You can do this both with or

without a reservoir - it's up to you.

Make sure you had some sort of cap for the T-line that you can seal, but not permamnently, you

want to be able to remove it and you will probably want it to be water tight (just incase).

I hope that doesn't confuse ya more ;)

example_1.gif

Please excude the crudeness, I'm a writer, not a drawer :)

The arrows indicate flow direction. This is not what your system HAS
to look like I'm just giving you an idea.

It goes from the pump (or pump/res) to the water block
then to the northbridge (if so required), and onto the radiator,
then to the T-line which will trap air.

I don't use T-lines so an expert at those should come along and reccomend placement points
but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you could do.

As for filling the system. some folks do it pre-install, others do it post-install.

and as for filling the res, most reservoirs have a lid that unscrews and screws back on again. Tho getting the O-ring seal to stay in place can be a pain in the rear sometimes.

P.S make sure and handle anything to do with Water Wetter using a pair of gloves and in a well ventilated area. Especially if your changing your water 1 - 6 months from now

hi

hi

thank you for that!

i see you mentioned water wetter! is this the best stuff to put in the system? i have heard of glycol (antifreeze) is this right? sort of mixture?

on a closed system do you have to crank a clip of periodically to let airation out which forms over time, do you have any pics of your wter setup?

cheers............

I have bad pics of my setup.. they won't help you at all , sorry :p

Once you fill your system, get out the initial air, and replace it with additional water (if needed) you will be good for a long time. I have never had to crack open my res and add more water. in a closed loop system going for months.

Water Wetter is best to use if you are not using any form of sub-zero cooling. (which you aren't let's just leave it at that).

It is an anti-bacterial / anti-corrosive agent that will keep your water clean.

glycol (anti-freeze) is used in systems where the water is chilled, so that the water will not freeze and it will also keep the water "clean" as far as I know. the reason people only use it for sub zero as explained to me is, because glyocal affects your temps and reduces your waters ability to cool using conventional water cooling.

Did I get that right guys ?

tap water will be fine but bacteria and stuff might build up so use water wetter /antifreeze with it.
also make sure u dont have aluminum and copper blocks/radiators mixing because that will cause some serious fookup... i dont remember exactly what its called tho

Distilled water from the grocery store is so cheap just pick up a gallon.. I think you mix 4oz of water wetter with that to get the right mixture..

you could PM Hoot or someone they would probably know.

as for mixing aluminum and copper when you use water wtter it won't matter but don't mix those two metals (or any metals) without an ati-corrosive agent

Last edited:
hi

hi

the setup i'm using has a water block made of both metals aluminuim and a copper base plate in one block, have a look here!

WATER KIT

and check that clamp out it uses all 6 lugs on the cpu mount and takes almost any block KOOL!

so with this setup i must use additives (A MUST!)

thx.........

hi

would this north bridge be ok left un water cooled,

also would you say the hottest parts are only the cpu and the gpu ???

every thing else will survive testing?

thx..............

Lt. Max said:
tap water will be fine but bacteria and stuff might build up so use water wetter /antifreeze with it.
also make sure u dont have aluminum and copper blocks/radiators mixing because that will cause some serious fookup... i dont remember exactly what its called tho

i know in german: "elektrochemische spannungsreihe" ... but in english?

hm ... you mean that the more precious (do you call so?) metal just gobbles up the less precious one if they are together?

would they do so if there's only distilled water in between?
i mean distilled water seems to be a very bad conductor ... so i think this effect won't take place ... do you know better?

Back