• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple people folding for 1 username

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
So here's an interesting question. I know some people have put together alliances, which is awesome.

I currently have all my mahcines at home folding, and many of them at work as well. There are still some people at work I'm recruiting, and also recruiting my friends/family, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to add these people to my username. I would love to have them folding under my name, as it would obviously keep helping me in the ranks. I'm currently ranked 57.

But I feel wierd doing this...its like people would be folding for me. Obviously they would know the deal (I'm not Google you know), and would have totlaly agreed with it and found it to be a good idea.

But I also don't want to do anything seen as unfair to the rest of the team. If I get a folder for team 32, they could use my username or create their own. Either way it would help team 32, but one would help my rank.

While that would be cool and all, I don't want to do that if it is the wrong thing to do.

Like I said, no sneak tactics to get people to fold for me, but if people wish to use my name to fold, is that cool to do?

Thanks for the input, as always!
Mike

Breadfan said:
So here's an interesting question. I know some people have put together alliances, which is awesome.

I currently have all my mahcines at home folding, and many of them at work as well. There are still some people at work I'm recruiting, and also recruiting my friends/family, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to add these people to my username. I would love to have them folding under my name, as it would obviously keep helping me in the ranks. I'm currently ranked 57.

But I feel wierd doing this...its like people would be folding for me. Obviously they would know the deal (I'm not Google you know), and would have totlaly agreed with it and found it to be a good idea.

But I also don't want to do anything seen as unfair to the rest of the team. If I get a folder for team 32, they could use my username or create their own. Either way it would help team 32, but one would help my rank.

While that would be cool and all, I don't want to do that if it is the wrong thing to do.

Like I said, no sneak tactics to get people to fold for me, but if people wish to use my name to fold, is that cool to do?

Thanks for the input, as always!
Mike
Like you said, as long as it is for TEAM 32, it's all good! I say put them under YOUR username, heck you are doing the work to get them to fold etc, etc. If it wasn't for you they wouldn't be folding in the first place.

I would say that people folding under your username is OK as long as they know about it and agree to it.

Perhaps a better idea would be to start a new username like Breadfan & Friends or something. Or the company name perhaps: eg, 'Davids computer repairs' :D

David

I do the same thing. Its ok because none of them would have been folding if I hadn't talked them into it. So Im just reaping some of the benefits of my recruiting effort. They are all my close friends also, and the keep up with the stats and are happy just like me when the stats go up.
Plus I make sure people on the boards know that my friends are part of my little "subteam" also. :beer:

:eek:

Heheh, don't worry 'bout that! Like I'm gonna put in my write-up for F@H, the friendly competition is half the fun...if not more!

Lets both make those curves steeper! WOHOO!

Mike :)

As long as they fold for team 32, I don't think anyone would mind. I salute anyone who can climb the ranks but just be careful who you give a shot in the ribs to when you pass them.

Don't want to pick on a single folder when you're pumping out a ton WU's. :D

/drawing line is sand

Catch me, and I'll let my machines fold for you for a month.

Cheers,

Wedo

Wedo said:
As long as they fold for team 32, I don't think anyone would mind. I salute anyone who can climb the ranks but just be careful who you give a shot in the ribs to when you pass them.

Don't want to pick on a single folder when you're pumping out a ton WU's. :D

/drawing line is sand

Cheers,

Wedo
That's a BIG prize! But it brings up a good point. The points will still be going to team 32.

breadfan, I don't have a problem with you getting your friends/family to fold under your name. You would not even have to tell us, but you did and that's ok too. If those you recruit don't care about having their own personal stats, they had just as well give the points to you.

the ONLY question is who realy cares about points.
THE ONLY PEOPLES POINTS I CARE ABOUT ARE THE 700 OR MORE I PASSED USING 1 COMP WHERE ARE THEY!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :D :D

Cool! Thanks guys! I had similar feelings, but I wasn't completely sure so I figured best way to know is to ask.

Mike

Wedo said:
/drawing line is sand

Cheers,

Wedo

:burn: Even if the one catching you is from the other team :p

krazykraut said:
the ONLY question is who realy cares about points.
THE ONLY PEOPLES POINTS I CARE ABOUT ARE THE 700 OR MORE I PASSED USING 1 COMP WHERE ARE THEY!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :D :D
I wish we knew. I wish we had them back.

The only downside to creating new usernames for "alliances" is that it makes us look like we have fewer "Users" (percentage wise) Folding. We're already at a quite low number, percentagewise, because of people inadvertantly misspelling usernames, and not noticing right away, etc....

If the name could be changed, without creating a new account, I'd be all for it... But IMHO, it makes it look like we have a small percentage of a large number of accounts "active".

We (as of the last update) currently have 1123 Users, 357 Active, 31.8% Accounts Active. A ton of those "inactive" accounts are accidental, or goofin on people by creating an account as a joke...

It just makes it look like there's only a few of us that are active...

My $.02

B.

i say have em fold under your username, unless its another forum member:)

if i recruit my uncle when he gets DSL than im gonna put him under mine.
i wanted to redo my name when i found out u didnt need (www.overclockers.com) in the username, but i didnt wanna lose my like 40 points:p

fold away

Yes but lets not forget that our active CPU base has grown from 800 active processor to 1029 active processors within the last month.
It might appear as we have less users but we do have more CPU counts.

gtsimmo said:
Yes but lets not forget that our active CPU base has grown from 800 active processor to 1029 active processors within the last month.
It might appear as we have less users but we do have more CPU counts.

I noticed that the other day also. Isn't it great. That is 229 more processors. That is a great step forward. It has shown in the race with Rage also.

Back