• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New folders, I have a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

first off, welcome to the team!

Now, I was wondering, what made you start folding?

Was if the banner add, our signitures, or the avatars, something else, or all of the above?

also, how would you make the answer to the above question better?

thanks, hopefully this will help us learn how to attract even more folders.

fold on!

well they told me I HAD to fold or I couldn't become a SENIOR,and I had to have been folding for atleast 6 months before ,but it is a nice banner

I had previously folded under the default team, then started a team for my company, but that didn't take off and it seemed I was the only person folding on that team, so I had no way of ever getting anywhere. Started checking out the teams, and liked this forum and website the best.

I felt like I had a debt to this forum. I have learned a great deal, and I think I contribute more than I take away ( I try to answer more questions than I ask).
But I really got the feeling that to really be a part of this place I ought to participate in either SETI or FAH. So I thought I'd do what I could.

folding

Back in April, I saw some Rage guys talking smack and getting into trouble with the mods here, so I figured I'd lend team 32 a few AMD CPU's to help out.

Well it's nice to see that our effort with the banners ended up with at least one sure recruit. That makes me feel alot better.

I got in to folding thanks to the SETI team. I noticed their avators alot, constantly caught my eye. I looked around the SETI section and found a thread somewhere that was talking about why you should fold or crunch. After reading i figured Folding was more for me. Thanks SETI members :)

well...when I started I figured it was for a good cause

plus, it tests load really well
plus, my computer needed something to do at night
plus, you can win free stuff!

I saw the post in the Cooling Section, with about 20 replies, that was titled: "wat is folding?" - I knew there was an answer; so I read the replies, replied, and started folding. :)

Stress testing, burning in, benchamarking, condensation prevention...all of those are reasons.

But more so I believe in the cause. Even if it was 99% BS (which it is not) it would be worth it. After all, why let a CPU cycle go to waste?

Also I think SETI is cool since it's a distro project but it's too far out to matter much.

Here are my reasons summed up by Ed Stroligo, pretty much my favorite online author in the computer biz.

new_novice

I think I shamelessly plugged folding around you, new_novice, and convinced you to give it a try. :D

I was introduced to distributed computing through seti, but curiousity led me to find out how it works and other ways that it can be used and the researched brought up folding and I dropped seti to fold on my own. Ed's article, that res0r9lm points to, is the reason that I joined the team as I was glad to see that one of my favorite sites had a folding team. :)

I got started by asking a question about why some of you OCers like to keep your CPU at 100% load all the time. I hadn't even heard of folding at the time. I just heard of people running SETI and Prime95 24/7, and wondered what the benefit of that was to the CPU. I found out that in some cases you can inch out a few more megahertz and it is less stressful on the CPU to keep it at load since the silicon doesnt have to expand and contract all the time... I don't know how much truth was to that because with it was a shameless plug to fold. I inquired more about it, and well... the rest is history (see my sig).

I remebere WWWAAAYYYYY back when I sent a PM to SpeedDJ about SETI and FOldign@Home since he was involved with both.......

He then outlined the basics about what each were about. I then chose FOlding (for personal reasons). :D

And now we're battling Rage!! :argue:

Let me call upon a famous quote:

We Will Never Surrender! - Sir Winston Churchill

Back