• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5A board mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PDL said:
Anyone here done the multiplier mod on this board yet?
I haven't even heard about the 'multiplier' mod until now! Do you have a link describing how this is done?

I thought one could only o/c on the K7S5A via FSB and a hacked BIOS.

I'm in the process of gathering the parts and tools needed.
Also, I need to do some more reading and studying. It will be a few weeks before it is done.

mbigna, do a search on that other ??workbench forum and you will find a bunch of data on it. It is quite extensive and of course involves voiding the warranty on the board.

If you cannot afford to fry it, don't try it!!:D

Well, here is the fist part of the project for me.

As opposed to doing an article on this, I am going to post my progress here as I go. If there continues to be interest, I will continue.

This shows the parts used to assemble my switch block. I used a plastic protector cover that was on an inkjey cartridge. Made 5 holes in it for the toggle switches and cut out a section for a 4-position DIP switch to be mounted. I then wired it using some wire from a data cable and hot-melt glued the cable in place.
The toggle switches use a center-off feature to avoid to outer most connectors from ever being connected together. (Shack model #275-325) I'll do a drawing later to show how it is wired. These toggle switches were used because I have been unsuccessful in finding something called a tri-state 8-position DIP switch. There are millions of them in the UK, but so far noone in the US has them, and I don't want to order 500 of them!!:rolleyes:

With the moderators permission, I will also post links to the various articles from which I gathered much help. For me it began with this post
LINK
and you can find all the other links from there.

More later....

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. Spent several hours this afternoon installing the switches.
Initially it wouldn't work but I found out the L1s on the CPU came open due to my previous attempt at cutting bridges, which didn't work!!:(
Anyway, I am testing with a T-Bird 1 gig and 11x and 12x boot up with no problem.
Gotta take a break now and do some more testing later.

Last edited:
Did you run any stability tests for that 12x? Man thats 1596Mhz for a 1ghz chip at 133fsb... You using water? What code is that Ghz chip?

Well, it is a "B" bird so the default FSB is 100 MHz.
It won't do 1596. :p That is a little beyond what this one will do.
To give you an idea, here are some numbers.
@10.5x it will post at 138FSB and 143 FSB but not at 147
@11x it will post at 133 and 138 but the OS will not load at 143
@12.5 it will post at 110 and 112 but not 124
( this is where I figure the limit is since it will run at 1500 but not 1550)
So, it seems to have a limit of about 1500 MHz, which is what I usually ran it at without the multi-mod, 10x150 FSB

I mainly did this mod to see what my XP1700 will do, but I need to unlock it first.
:cool:

OK, got the XP1700 to post at a 14x multiplier.

Still have a problem though because now I am locked out of 7x thru 10.5x :(

Attachments

• xp14x.jpg
    xp14x.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 178
Congrats on the multi mod PDL.

How did you unlock your XP1700+? Maybe you're unlocking Wasn't 100% successful since you can't use some of the multipliers.

Have you been able to boot at a multi lower than 14x? You're running underclocked at 14x at 100fsb.

maxima88 is very correct. Lots of it and very tiny places too.
Also, keep in mind that THIS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY ON THE MAINBOARD!!
:D :eek: :cool:

BTW, I unlocked the cpu using correction fluid for filler and conductive paint for the bridges. Took 3 tries to get all of them connected correctly. In the process, I scratched through the surface to the copper under the green stuff. It is very soft and easy to mess one up if not very careful.

Back