• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shouldnt need to bolt in if it has spots on both sides for the the little 5.25" tool-less braces. you can put 5.25" drives in there sideways and they will line up perfectly. to better illustrate what i mean:
Norco45024.jpg

You could also just do this provided once again that you have a spare hdd rack:
Norco45023.jpg

Got those pics from this review. Possibly it can better answer you questions:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/NorcoTek_RPC-450/index.shtml

Once again those are all pics of the 450 not the 470 but I assume the front end is the same.

Ok well I put the mounting to the test and I came to find that mounting the power button panel anywhere but the default location is impossible with out some sort of mod. also found that mounting a dvd drive sideways is not possible(at least not with the tool-less clips provided) with a full size server board (12x13) as you can see here:
1005238z.jpg

that was a good inch or 2 before the tabs would normally lock into place.
You can however still mount three hard drive racks and keep the power button, but you will not be able to fit any optical drives. Here is how it would look (obviously there would be a third harddrive rack all the way to the left):
1005236.jpg

and with that I will try and get this back on topic. Looks great thid! No when the heck are you gonna get a rack?!?

thanks a lot Automiketic thats better then what I was hoping for as I wont need to custom make anything.

Well, I have two Compaq servers coming (each dual p3). If you have classifieds access, click here to see them.

I also might be having 3 more Dell servers too, depends what we come up with trade wise...

I am building a new rig this upcoming Christmas and my plans are to use the rig in my sig as a file server for my family and I and a Counter-Strike: Source server, seeing the details below..

What recommendations would you have to upgrade to do these things I am saying I would like? Maybe a raid setup, etc..? IDK and anything would help!

I plan on throwing it in a mediocre server chassis though, something that would fit ok in my network room but isn't too $$ ya know.

:beer:

I am building a new rig this upcoming Christmas and my plans are to use the rig in my sig as a file server for my family and I and a Counter-Strike: Source server, seeing the details below..

What recommendations would you have to upgrade to do these things I am saying I would like? Maybe a raid setup, etc..? IDK and anything would help!

I plan on throwing it in a mediocre server chassis though, something that would fit ok in my network room but isn't too $$ ya know.

:beer:

Linux, naturally. :)

You really should create a new thread instead of hi-jacking mine ;)

thideras - threads are meant to be posted in! and the question I had fits the subject you started. No need in creating another thread just to ask a question that I can follow up with.

Nice setup btw, you must have some cash! $$

:)

thideras - threads are meant to be posted in! and the question I had fits the subject you started. No need in creating another thread just to ask a question that I can follow up with.

Nice setup btw, you must have some cash! $$

:)
As a heads up, this is a project log, not a thread to ask questions. Not trying to be rude, but create a new thread please.

Thanks for the comments though.

Just had two Compaq Proliant DL360's arrive today. Had to do some fixing thanks to UPS. I'll have more pictures later. For now though, I took pictures for UPS to see how much they suck at shipping. The ears/clips/whatever are bent UP along with back. Me and Visbits have no clue how they managed to bend the tabs up. Here is how much they were bent, this is after I fixed them as much as I could. I can't even get the faceplate screwed in because the holes don't line up.

bent_server_clips.JPG

bent_server_clips2.JPG

Last edited:
Removed the fan divider because I'm having fans fail left and right. They used crappy sleeve bearing fans that failed in the first month -__-

So, here was my first idea. Bolt my 3x Delta TFB1212GHE (220 cfm EACH)

660_cfm.JPG

Then I said to myself: "HOLY **** Thideras, that is 660 CFM of CARNAGE bolted to that case!!" and decided on a different idea for fans. While I was doing that, I found that my Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme is capable of taming one fan per channel; that is pretty impressive when you realize each fan pulls 2.94A! I found a place to mount that controller in this case, the holes for the mounting rails!

possible_fan_controller1.JPG

possible_fan_controller2.JPG

No updates for awhile, sorry! I got new, replacement fans for my main system. My file server case came with good quality Delta fans while my 470 came with some really crappy off-brand sleeve bearing fans. They died really fast, they were terrible quality. Ordered 7 Panaflo 80mm fans; 5 for the divider and 2 for the back. Got those installed, along with my Delta fans, last night. The case runs much cooler and louder again!

I'm trying to figure out an issue with my file server right now; it isn't broken, per se. When I copy large files (FRAPS video files to be exact), it starts off at a blazing 50-60mb/sec (not megabit, megabyte) and drops suddenly to 20-30mb/sec after 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure if the cache is filling up on the card (512mb + the time it had to process the file) or what is going on, but system usage is very low when hard drive activity is high.

I'm trying to figure out an issue with my file server right now; it isn't broken, per se. When I copy large files (FRAPS video files to be exact), it starts off at a blazing 50-60mb/sec (not megabit, megabyte) and drops suddenly to 20-30mb/sec after 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure if the cache is filling up on the card (512mb + the time it had to process the file) or what is going on, but system usage is very low when hard drive activity is high.

Disable TCP offloading.

Back