• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Myself, I'm just content with the single box... doing almost everything all your boxes do... albeit to lesser degrees. Come to think of it I need to repurpose my DD-wrt router to be simply a firewall... that's ap project for another time I think.
Astaro > all.

Benchmark for the Perc 5/i is up here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628456

==================================================

I'm going to be formatting the server tonight. Still trying to figure out how I want to partition the RAID arrays. I could do one large RAID5 array, but that isn't as secure as I'd like.

RAID1 - I could do multiple RAID 1 partitions, more a PITA than I'd like.
RAID5 - What I've been running. I might sit one of the drives out as a hot spare since I don't need space at the moment.
RAID10 - Got decent performance, but with a 3 day initialization length, I really don't want to do this.
RAID50 - Got decent performance, same with RAID10 on initialization though.

I think RAID5 is my best bet :-/

I wasn't calling you out or anything, its just that performance testing of Firewalls has been my main focus at work as of late.
I figured as much, just wanted to make sure :bday:

If you have any tests that you want run, let me know. Although, I'm not sure exactly how do test a firewall speed wise. All I know is when I went from my Smoothwall firewall to the Astaro firewall, I saw an extra 400kb/sec in download speed and 20kb/sec upload speed. Related? User error? Design flaw? I have no idea.

Been trying to get Fedora installed on the file server and been having absolute hell with it. Pulled down the netiso and was going to install on the Perc 5's array, can't, crashes. Restart and install to the OS drive. I get "Format Failed: 1". Oh, what a lovely and descriptive error, how I wish my skills in understand what the hell that means was about 100 higher. Restart again, the OS drive is missing. Shut the sever down, turn it back on, drive is back. Restart again, drive is gone and never came back online...

</rant>

Anyways, been looking over bug reports, trying different downloads, different mirrors, everything. Nothing fixed that error. I then remembered that the main system drive was a Seagate 7200.10 drive. Ran a SMART utility within Fedora and it reported everything was OK. I restarted, removed the OS drive and threw in my old-reliable drive (Maxtor 100gb SATA). Everything started working.

Yay, going to be at least the 8th Seagate drive that I've had to RMA. Hopefully they send me a Western Digital or something.

Last edited:
Moving from Windows to Linux, I'm seeing a HUGE increase in network transfer speeds. I was getting 40mb/sec (or less!) reading from the server and around 30mb/sec writing to the server. After installing Fedora and setting everything up, I'm seeing 85mb/sec read speeds and 65mb/sec write speeds. This is absolutely amazing...

I've recently (thanks to Ben333) found the niche that I love: Servers. He has been bugging me about this Dell PowerEdge he has and while I really wanted it, I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting it and getting it setup. But, the pictures got to me, I wanted the server badly, there was no way I couldn't get it without it bothering me, the price was too good. Once I knew the server was coming, I started looking at racks and everything that I can put in one. All my switches are rack mountable and UPS's will either be rack mounted (I'll have to pick them up) or I'll sit them on a shelf in the rack.

That is just the beginning. This will be a log that is updated when anything changes. I'm not sure how often the updates will be, but there is going to be a ton.

----------------------------------------------

Server list:
  • Smoothwall
  • File server
  • Web server
  • Cisco 3640 (Currently being shipped)
  • Main system (Not added yet)

Current hardware list:

Smoothwall:
--CPU: Pentium 2 Celeron 400Mhz slot1

Webserver:
--Dell Poweredge 2550
--CPU: 2x Pentium 3 933MHz
--HDD: 1x 16gb SCSI

File server:
--CPU: Phenom X4 (AM2) 2.6GHz
--MB: Asus M2N32-SLi
--HDD:
------320gb Seagate (OS)
------4x 1tb Seagate (Media)
------4x 1tb Western Digital Green (Backup, storage)
------7x 1tb Hitachi (Storage)
--Raid controller: Perc 5/i PCI-e
--PSU: Corsair HX620
--Case: Norco 4020

Main system:
--MB: Asus P5Q Deluxe
--CPU: QX9650 @ 4.0 GHz
--Mem: 8gb GSkill 1000MHz
--Vid: GTX 260 216
--HDD: 1tb WD Black (Looking to get a SSD)
--PSU: HX620W
--Case: Norco RPC-470

Switche:
--D-Link DGS-1024D 10/100/1000 24 port switch

Parts ordered:

• Cisco 3640

In the "thought queue":
  • Get a rack to mount everything in
  • Find location for the rack
  • Find routing for ethernet cables
I'll add more when I think about it.

sounds like a nice setup you have there. Mind me asking who ur ISP is and if you're hosting from home?

sounds like a nice setup you have there. Mind me asking who ur ISP is and if you're hosting from home?
Midcontinent Communications. I don't really "host" anything other than a file server (internal facing) or FTP (external facing). The website is hosted elsewhere in a datacenter.

Since the main OS drive failed, it gives me a chance to redo the operating system drive before I need to leave it alone.

I'm looking at snagging 3x SAS drives (15k RPM's, whoo!) and another Perc 5 controller, but I'm not sure how well Fedora plays with the RAID card; I had some issues with setting it up on the current RAID array.

Last edited:
Couple updates plus some "interesting" information if others are looking at running a linux server.

I ordered the 3x SAS drives, so I'm waiting for them to arrive. I also need to pick up a Perc 5 to run those; going to be awhile before I get this array up and running. The other exciting piece of information is that there is a rack for sale locally; the person why gave me the UPS found it and emailed me, very nice guy :D. I believe it is only a 24-32u rack and is a "square" (sellers' words), so I'm assuming it is 19" by 19". This might make it difficult to work with and prone to tipping. To top it off, they want $220 for it; no idea what to counter offer.

With that out of the way, going to post portions of my server are setup.

Drive mapping/sharing:
Code:
"/" (root)
\\
 "share" (main drive mounting location)
 |\\
 |"hitachi" (Perc 5 RAID array)
 |  \\
 |   "backups" (Main backup location, shared)
 |   "CCCApps" (Program used for testing, shared)
 |   "logs" (Rsync logs, not shared)
 |   "media" (Main media location, shared)
 |   "rsync" (Rsync paths, 'shared' through the rsync protocol)
 |"external" (External 1tb drive)
 |   \\
 |   "rsync_copy" (Copy of /share/hitachi/rsync)
Script to backup (and log) any of the rsync command. I wrote this by hand. Users are blanked out (hence the whole "USER1" portion).
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#This script contains all of the rsync commands that are run daily on
#Thideras' file server.  The main use for this script is to backup to
#alternate locations, such as an external drive or remote location

LOG=/share/hitachi/logs/rsync-$(date +%m-%d-%Y).log

#Give the date and time started
echo ----------LOG START---------- 1>>$LOG
echo This log started on `date +%H`:`date +%M`:`date +%S` 1>>$LOG
echo ----------LOG START---------- 1>>$LOG
echo 1>>$LOG

#Set the locations
USER1=/share/hitachi/rsync/USER1/
USER1_COPYTO=/share/external/rsync_copy/USER1

USER2=/share/hitachi/rsync/USER2/
USER2_COPYTO=/share/external/rsync_copy/USER2

USER3=/share/hitachi/rsync/USER3/
USER3_COPYTO=/share/external/rsync_copy/USER3

#============================================================================#

#Copy the files
rsync -av --delete $USER1 $USER1_COPYTO 1>>$LOG
rsync -av --delete $USER2 $USER2_COPYTO 1>>$LOG
rsync -av --delete $USER3 $USER3_COPYTO 1>>$LOG

#============================================================================#

#Add the end date and time
echo 1>>$LOG
echo -----------LOG END----------- 1>>$LOG
echo This log ended on `date +%H`:`date +%M`:`date +%S` 1>>$LOG
echo -----------LOG END----------- 1>>$LOG

exit

Second Perc arrived and it integrates perfectly with other cards. Just waiting on the SAS drives. Yes, the bracket is bent, I did that to make it fit the holes. Saved me $10 for a PCI bracket. The batteries are here for the other card, but I didn't realize there was a special cable used to connect the battery.

second_perc.JPG

second_perc2.JPG

second_perc_back.JPG

second_perc_installed.JPG

It looks like your new PERC came with the battery cable, so you could get one BBU running if you wanted. Or do you already have one (I cant see the battery).

It looks like your new PERC came with the battery cable, so you could get one BBU running if you wanted. Or do you already have one (I cant see the battery).
I have 3 batteries sitting here on my desk, just need to figure how to mount it (velco?).

If you wanted to be real fancy, you could make a bracket/tray that attaches to your PCI slot cover screws, and sits ontop of your cards. Then velcro/zip-tie/bolt-down your batteries to the bracket. Would look slick.

Else, run the wires out back of your case, and zip tie/velcro through your ventilation holes (I'd block the top square ones).

Drives just showed up, letting them acclimate so I can use them. I'll have pics up later.

Back