• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]2009 Game of the Year Awards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

2009 Game of the Year Awards
by Rainless

2009 was both a revelation and a revolution in the field of Electronic Gaming.

2008 ended with the gaming industry hanging on a gigantic question mark: How would gaming be affected by the sudden downturn in the economy?

Everyone knew something would happen, but no one could have predicted such a mixed bag of results: In January Microsoft shut down its ACES Studios (responsible for their most successful in-house property Microsoft Flight Simulator), that same month Ensemble Studios (makers of the Age of Empires series) shut its doors, and the struggling economy finally forced Sony’s hand on a long-awaited PS3 price drop.

The latter of these, although obviously a boon for Sony itself, also reignited slumping sales for both the X-box 360 and Wii (who responded with price-drops of their own), and breathed new life into game sales across the board. The word was out: Recession-be-damned gamers were willing to buy as long as they got whatever they bought on sale.

This is the story of the games people were buying those systems for.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
Interesting article Rainless, as always.

I can't comment on console games because the only consoles I own are for the kids. (xbox and wii)

However, dragon age:eek:rigins is without a doubt one of the best PC games I have ever played.

All the playability of the KoTOR series from lucas arts but it also includes a deep and moving story line that shocked me completely. I do not recall ever being so interested in completing the characters story lines. Normally one seeks out quests in order to accrue experience or sweet new swag, this game however the characters are easily half the story.

Some great actors fill out the cast voices, with Sci-fi buffs favorite Claudia Black, the always entertaining Steve Valentine, Tim Curry, and although I have not heard of her before Corinne Kempa does as fantastic job as Lelianna. I can't wait for the expansion pack to come out :)

I agree. I was hooked on this game for 3 straight weeks and put in 97 hours to beat it. I thought the story and especially the characters were done really well. And even though it was heavy on dialogue, there were many times you were surprised at the reactions you would get to the responses you chose.

so happy to see Modern Warfare 2 didn't make the list. That game earns The biggest fail of the year in my book. there sales figures aren't as impressive as they are made out to be, I think they were including how many pirated downloads they achieved as well which was way more than copies sold. I hope after 2010 release of the new cod that this game is shelved because i would hate to see what IW does to the next one. end of rant

so happy to see Modern Warfare 2 didn't make the list. That game earns The biggest fail of the year in my book. there sales figures aren't as impressive as they are made out to be, I think they were including how many pirated downloads they achieved as well which was way more than copies sold. I hope after 2010 release of the new cod that this game is shelved because i would hate to see what IW does to the next one. end of rant

I now grant wishes:

http://www.n4g.com/News-454127.aspx

It has been a long time since I have just grinned like an evil monkey, and felt downright pleased with the game I was playing. Arkham Asylum did just that. Every step of the way I was having a blast, and just plain enjoying myself. Been awhile since that really happened. Ever since I finished it shortly after it's release, I have been saying it is game of the year. It definitely deserves it.

I'm glad Dragon Age made your top game of the year, I whole-heartedly agree man.

Can you grant us Mass Effect 2 Early for PC? And not a port from console to PC either?

You can wait 2 more weeks, can't you?

I've been debating whether or not I should give Dragon Age a go. I've been enjoying Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 a bit lately, also debating if Modern Warfare 2 is worth my money for single player at least.

I've been debating whether or not I should give Dragon Age a go. I've been enjoying Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 a bit lately, also debating if Modern Warfare 2 is worth my money for single player at least.

It's one of the best games ever. :)

What?? Call the cops there has been a robbery!

No Wii Sports Resort? Not even ranked? :shrug: That sword fighting game is awesome!

Back