Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

[O/C]Annual Water Cooling Cleaning and Rebuild Journal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:10 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

[O/C]Annual Water Cooling Cleaning and Rebuild Journal

Annual Water Cooling Cleaning and Rebuild Journal
by Conumdrum

Quote:
Properly maintaining a water cooling loop is critical for great long term performance. So I documented my rebuild and my thoughts as I worked my way through it. My rig is pretty complex, but the basics are the same for any water cooling loop. The rig was first built March 2009. I drained and refilled per at least the six month window, and rebuilt my loop starting on January 8, 2010, so a bit less than one year since my rig was built.

The rebuild and draining time are variable. I have varied in the past. It’s really up to you, the user, as your knowledge and scheduling require. It has to be done someday. It’s better you do it on your time than have a messed up loop you don’t have time to repair. When you decide to rebuild, give yourself plenty of time, don’t rush it.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited by Overclockers.com; 01-26-10 at 03:20 PM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 02:40 PM   #2
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Everyone please congratulate Conumdrum on his first article for the front page. Job well done!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 02:47 PM   #3
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

Another quality article to go on the FP... GJ Conumdrum!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 02:54 PM   #4
BobbyBubblehead

worth his weight in waterblocks that guy.

Grandar stuff than normal winner!
BobbyBubblehead is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 03:12 PM   #5
mdcomp
Classic Moderator Admin
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Awesome article man! I gotta say, I haven't been interested in watercooling in a few years, but you really grabbed my attention and got me thinking about building my own. I love the informal narrative you put together, really makes me feel like I'm your buddy hanging out in your garage helping you clean it out myself. It really shows your personality!

I tweeted this article as well (www.twitter.com/overclockerscom) if anyone is interested. Nice work man!

Matt

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 06:52 PM   #6
Spawn-Inc

Nicely done !

clean up time is coming soon for me, thinking i will do a before and after cleaning and testing that new thermal paste on the weekend.

Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
Spawn-Inc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 07:10 PM   #7
Boulard83

Nice reading !

OS Toshiba Q 256gb Games 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0 Corsair HX850 Tecnofront HWD BenchTable Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

HTPC Gigabyte H77m-D3H G2020 NT-06 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz Asus GTX 650 TI SB Recon3D
X25-m 80gb Enermax 550w Lian Li PC-C60B

Server Asus Z77m PRO 2500K NH-C12P 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
Agility 4 128gb Corsair CX430M 2X 1TB Black 1x 2TB green

KatPat Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 FX-8320 PH-TC14CS 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz GTS 450 + Accelero L2 Plus
Samsung Evo 120gb Corsair HX750 Bitfenix Survivor White Asus VE247H
Boulard83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 07:50 PM   #8
donuts

Nice work. Wish I had seen it sooner, as I'm leak-testing mine now. lol

Rosetta
Seti
Folding
donuts is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-10, 09:13 PM   #9
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

Thanks to everyone back to day one when I first wanted to go watercooling and even overclocking my old PC. This is my fav forum, my home. Thanks to Hokie for fixing my pics cuz the stoopid proggy wouldn't let me or I was just unable to make it work.

Glad I'm able to contribute directly to my home forum. I have other odds and ends helpful hints etc scattered around other forums, but this place deserves something better than my previous hacks. Was fun! Now, Mass Effect 2 is sitting on my table unopened. I got better things to do now!!!

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-10, 06:35 AM   #10
starrant
Registered

Great job with good detail. This will printed and by my side when I have to do my first annual maintanence. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing with everybody.

G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000
Kingston SSDNow V+ Series SNVP325-S2/64GB (SSD)
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
Windows 7 64 bit
Mountain Mods Ascension
starrant is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-25-12, 03:04 PM   #11
PolePosition

Really nice article with a wealth of information for those of us (like myself) who have yet to move into the realm of WCing. I'll be bookmarking for future reference.

Just wanted to ask one little question though. Is there any alternatives out there to using plain distillled water such as glycol (spelling) sorta like antifreeze stuff, that would extend the times one would need to do all the draining/cleaning/refilling? Much like what is used in autos where you only have to flush/fill a radiator every few years instead of 6 months-year.
Also, I have to believe some kind of new developments will eventually come out where the issues of corrosion on blocks is minimized, or is this something we'll all have to live with and goes with the territory in WCing?

I really like those fittings and especially the clamps. Chrome is nice, but it would be nice to see them in black or gold or brushed aluminum/nickel. A link to where to find parts like this would be helpful too, but I guess thats what search engines are made for.

CASE Lian li PC-V750WX PSU Seasonic 750W Gold MotherboardASUS Sabertooth X79 CPU i73820 @ 3.60GHz CPU cooler Intel RTS2011LC RAM32GB (4x8) GSkills Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 SSDIntel 120GB SSD HDDWestern Digital 150GB Velociraptor HDDWestern Digital 600GB Velociraptor
ODDASUS DVD/CD 24X OSWindows 7 Pro 64 bit VGAEVGA GeForce GTX760 DISPLAYAchieva Shimian QH270 Lite
PolePosition is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-25-12, 03:16 PM   #12
Knufire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolePosition View Post
Really nice article with a wealth of information for those of us (like myself) who have yet to move into the realm of WCing. I'll be bookmarking for future reference.

Just wanted to ask one little question though. Is there any alternatives out there to using plain distillled water such as glycol (spelling) sorta like antifreeze stuff, that would extend the times one would need to do all the draining/cleaning/refilling? Much like what is used in autos where you only have to flush/fill a radiator every few years instead of 6 months-year.
Also, I have to believe some kind of new developments will eventually come out where the issues of corrosion on blocks is minimized, or is this something we'll all have to live with and goes with the territory in WCing?

I really like those fittings and especially the clamps. Chrome is nice, but it would be nice to see them in black or gold or brushed aluminum/nickel. A link to where to find parts like this would be helpful too, but I guess thats what search engines are made for.
Antifreeze is used when you're mixing metals (i.e. aluminum) in the loop to prevent corrosion. With normal PC loops, all the parts are brass and copper, which do not corrode when in a loop together, so it should be a non-issue unless you're modifying automotive parts to fit in your loop. There are other substances in the loop, such as plasticizer in the tubes, that will collect in places, making this necessary. AFAIK, distilled water has the highest specific heat out of any readily available liquid, which is why it's commonly used (it can hold more heat). Adding anything to the water will reduce it's performance, so we go with the bare minimum (silver kill coil or 1-2 drops of copper sulfate to prevent algae from growing in the loop).

There's a list of WC part stores in the sticky in the water-cooling subforum.

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-25-12, 05:35 PM   #13
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

It's not corrosion we have, it's a thin film of oxidation in a distilled loop.

We tear our loops down when we feel like it, and since a drain/refill is easy enough to do, (4-5 hours including spiffing up dust bunnies etc) AND it's a hobby we don't mind. I have seen trouble free distilled loops go over a year with no drain/refill. (I'm not gonna say how long mine is been, I'll get in trouble).

The teardown is a full weekend. Again it's a hobby. And a good way to check stuff. When a WC loop goes down because of problems, it's never at a good time, so with a schedule YOU pick when.

It's a hobby 1st and formost.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
Old 08-25-12, 06:20 PM   #14
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

Ohh the fittings/rotaries are all Bitspower, the clamps, umm lemme check.

Lamptron, they come in different colors. They are difficult to work with, the aluminum strips easy. I had to open each one to fit over my barbs, then squeeze them with pliers to get the screw started. Still stripped two out. And they are silly expensive. My suggestion is go with easy stainless hoseclamps bought usually a bit cheaper at any auto store. On your annual cleaning, upgrade, your knowledge level of how these things work will be 1000% higher and problems are easier overcome on the second time. I know, do I ever.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop