• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]My Droid/Android 2.0 Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry to be offtopic but why the '98 join date set when there was never a setup like this for linking articles in the forums? Seems kinda cheesy, why not just have the editor post it?

It's an automated system which creates these forum threads linked to the articles - we want to keep all the discussion threads in the forum under one account primarily, hence the overclockers.com account. The join date was set to reflect Nov of 1998, when overclockers.com launched.

It probably is cheesy, but I like it as a reminder of where we came from.

Just got word that Android 2.1 will be available in the next few days for any Android phone.

Not sure what all it encompasses other than the following:

1. moving wallpaper (there is one where you can touch a pool and make ripples)
2. 5 desktops instead of 3
3. Google Earth
4. (the big one) no more limit on app installation space (whatever your SD can hold).

Here's some better info:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/01/a-visual-guide-to-android-2-1/

Nice, thanks for the update.

Makes me wish I didn't have a blackberry work pays for, makes it hard to justify buying a Droid.

Just got word that Android 2.1 will be available in the next few days for any Android phone.

Not sure what all it encompasses other than the following:

1. moving wallpaper (there is one where you can touch a pool and make ripples)
2. 5 desktops instead of 3
3. Google Earth
4. (the big one) no more limit on app installation space (whatever your SD can hold).

Here's some better info:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/01/a-visual-guide-to-android-2-1/

So far there has already been the ability to have 5 desktops, as a matter of fact you can have up to 7 if your using the right ROM.

Also, using Apps2SD the only limit on the number of applications is the size of your SD. Its been that way for almost a year on any number of special ROMs. Mine for instance has a 512mb partition for Apps.

As far as google earth, If you mean sattelite view, thats been out for a while and you also have google Navigation (a full fledged naviagtion not just maps with a pointer) You can even Nav in streetview, its pretty cool.

The moving wallpapers are the only thing we don't have yet. Also looking forward to Flash on Android, thats a long time coming.

So far there has already been the ability to have 5 desktops, as a matter of fact you can have up to 7 if your using the right ROM.

Also, using Apps2SD the only limit on the number of applications is the size of your SD. Its been that way for almost a year on any number of special ROMs. Mine for instance has a 512mb partition for Apps.

As far as google earth, If you mean sattelite view, thats been out for a while and you also have google Navigation (a full fledged naviagtion not just maps with a pointer) You can even Nav in streetview, its pretty cool.

The moving wallpapers are the only thing we don't have yet. Also looking forward to Flash on Android, thats a long time coming.

Yeah but all of this is with just downloading an update and not hacking anything.

Yeah but all of this is with just downloading an update and not hacking anything.

I would agree with you, this makes things easier.... except, I have had my G1 hacked for over a year. At this point, upgradeing roms is about a 10 second process, then reboot.

Also, without a hack, you cannot wi-fi thether. I am currently typing this from my work on my laptop to which I am tethered over wi-fi @ 1Mbps download speeds.

Edit: Please understand I am not arguing your point, I am just pointing out some of the benefits of Custom ROMs. They are definitely not for everyone, but I expect the average to above average OCForums member's ability to do this would be pretty simple.

Nice, thanks for the update.

Makes me wish I didn't have a blackberry work pays for, makes it hard to justify buying a Droid.

Just be lucky you have a job that pays for your phone. I used to work at a employer that paid for my phone but my "brand spanking new job" would laugh me out of the building if I asked them. It's true that more employers are going that way, especially if those employers are of the "on call" type. But out of all the places I worked, I wish I had more of them that gave me that option.

Frankly, I am perfectly content with my two and a half year old Blackberry 8800.

So apparently my girlfriend got me one for v-day, I'm looking forward to this actually. Really looking forward to this.

Does the droid's GPS system work when you're in an area with no reception?

If the phone has time to download most of your trip once you put it into navigation then you can go in and out of coverage and never know. But if you have zero service the entire time then i dont think navigation will work.

I have had the droid for 5 weeks now and by far the most impressive phone I have ever bought. I used to have the starcom 6700, treo 700wx & Iphone 3g. I would not trade this phone for anything else on the market. My battery last about 1.5 days while Facebookn and light web surfing. I am amazed on the battery life and charge time. My iphone would only make it 7-8 hours between charges and the starcom got down to 4-5 hours between.

If the phone has time to download most of your trip once you put it into navigation then you can go in and out of coverage and never know. But if you have zero service the entire time then i dont think navigation will work.

That may be a no go for me. I need GPS coverage in areas with no cell reception such as the Rocky Mountains and BFE.

I just got my droid and I'm already a fanatic. Having a spun rom is an inevitability for me.

Droid running at 1Ghz, cool and stable.

Well, WiFi and GPS both heat the phone up, but the overclocking doesn't seem too noticeably affect temps.
Which are read in the battery, unfortunately.

Ran at 1.1Ghz for a while but the phone was NOT stable.

Rooting a Droid has now become a nearly painless process- http://www.sholes.info/

But please note that the latest version is not.... reliable yet.

I have had no (major) problems, and methinks most others have not either, but a large number have.
Unless you are brave, hit alldroid for other methods or wait a few days for the Sholes Team to get things straightened out. :)

Back