Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-10, 08:17 PM   #41
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
There's an update to this coming soon. Should be out next week. We'll let you know. Great improvements to an already quality guide.

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-21-10, 07:43 AM   #42
Gillbot
Member

 
Gillbot's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: East Palestine, OH

10 Year Badge
 
Nice, I can't wait to toy with my i3 530.

__________________
My Heatware
Gillbot is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-21-10, 07:59 PM   #43
OC nub
Member

 
OC nub's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2007

 
Thanks, Very nice guide, , I spent the afternoon playing around with this. It works very well on the P55 board. Max bclk on my P55A UD6 without going crazy on the VTT was 220. I did short LinX runs to test for stability, 10 passes to save time.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6...bclk138vtt.png
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4...bclk136vtt.png

OC nub is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-10, 01:21 PM   #44
kkpudge7

 
kkpudge7's Avatar 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan

 
Awesome guide mia...

I was able to get 4Ghz (8hrs stable) without ht, and only 3.8ghz with ht only somewhat stable prior to this. Using this guide as a reference I'm now working towards 4.3Ghz HT stable. Breaking it up into sections like that is the key, you cant change a ton of settings at once because then you dont know why its failing.

Breaking it into sections allows for much easier trouble shooting. Keep up the good work man

__________________
MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5
CPU: i7 920-DO @ 4.2Ghz
HS: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Black (push/pull)
GPU: MSi 5870 1GB
RAM: 6GB OCz Platinum tri-channel @1600Mhz
HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar black / 1 TB WD Mybook external / Seagate 120GB for document backup
Case: Thermaltake Armor w/25cm fan
PSU: Corsair TX750
Display: Samsung T240HD 24'' @ 1920x1200 and a Dell 15''
OS: Windows 7 x64

kkpudge7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-10, 01:28 PM   #45
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Bumpety Bump.

Update has been published folks...catch it here!

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 01:49 AM   #46
DreadCthulhu
Registered



Join Date: Feb 2010

 
First of all I'd like to thank Miahallen for putting together this extensive guide, I think it's a step in the right direction for a lot of people like me who have absolutely 0 experience with overclocking.

One piece of feedback that I wanted to leave is that as an owner of an i5-750 running on a GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 I found some of the variables mentioned in the guide to be missing or new ones to be present. If you're completely green like I am, it's be very helpful to know how those additional (or missing) variables relate to what's in the guide. Here's a couple of points that were unclear to me:

- The "Bclock voltages" section talk about an IOH voltage. On my p55 gigabyte there's no such thing, instead I have a CPU Vcore, a Dynamic VCore (DVID) and a QPI/VTT Voltage. The Vcore is mentioned at the end of the guide in step 3. Given that IOH appears not to exist in P55, do I just ignore the suggestion to raise it to 1.3-1.35?

- In the same section, and in the rest of the guide, you measure tweaks to the VTT in terms of +0.xV (where x is a number). What does that actually mean? Are you saying we should take the default value of the BIOS and increase that by +0.xV? I guess the confusing part is that in my menu there's the DVID variable which actually does have + and - 0.xV settings, so to me it's not clear whether you're asking to keep the VTT default and tweak the DVID, or if I should ignore the DVID and only increase the VTT.

Thanks!
DreadCthulhu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 10:37 AM   #47
MIAHALLEN
Senior Member

 
MIAHALLEN's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PNW

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC nub View Post
Thanks, Very nice guide, , I spent the afternoon playing around with this. It works very well on the P55 board. Max bclk on my P55A UD6 without going crazy on the VTT was 220. I did short LinX runs to test for stability, 10 passes to save time.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6...bclk138vtt.png
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4...bclk136vtt.png
Thanks for the feedback...glad it helped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpudge7 View Post
Awesome guide mia...

I was able to get 4Ghz (8hrs stable) without ht, and only 3.8ghz with ht only somewhat stable prior to this. Using this guide as a reference I'm now working towards 4.3Ghz HT stable. Breaking it up into sections like that is the key, you cant change a ton of settings at once because then you dont know why its failing.

Breaking it into sections allows for much easier trouble shooting. Keep up the good work man
Thant was the idea Please post in the forums if you have questions that the guide does not address. We're here to help...great job so far, keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadCthulhu View Post
First of all I'd like to thank Miahallen for putting together this extensive guide, I think it's a step in the right direction for a lot of people like me who have absolutely 0 experience with overclocking.

One piece of feedback that I wanted to leave is that as an owner of an i5-750 running on a GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 I found some of the variables mentioned in the guide to be missing or new ones to be present. If you're completely green like I am, it's be very helpful to know how those additional (or missing) variables relate to what's in the guide. Here's a couple of points that were unclear to me:

- The "Bclock voltages" section talk about an IOH voltage. On my p55 gigabyte there's no such thing, instead I have a CPU Vcore, a Dynamic VCore (DVID) and a QPI/VTT Voltage. The Vcore is mentioned at the end of the guide in step 3. Given that IOH appears not to exist in P55, do I just ignore the suggestion to raise it to 1.3-1.35?

- In the same section, and in the rest of the guide, you measure tweaks to the VTT in terms of +0.xV (where x is a number). What does that actually mean? Are you saying we should take the default value of the BIOS and increase that by +0.xV? I guess the confusing part is that in my menu there's the DVID variable which actually does have + and - 0.xV settings, so to me it's not clear whether you're asking to keep the VTT default and tweak the DVID, or if I should ignore the DVID and only increase the VTT.

Thanks!
Great feedback! Thanks!

- IOH
This does not apply to all boards, as many lower end boards do not support extensive OCing features in the BIOS. Since you do not have the ability to tweak IOH, just pass that section. (the difference will be minor anyway, VTT voltage adjustments are the main factor in bclock OCing).

- VTT and DVID
VTT adjustments are made over the default value which is different for different platforms. That is why I refer to VTT in +0.xV adjustments. DVID is a very cool feature, but my guide is writen to no use it, please disable it! If you want to explore DVID possibilities, please start a thread to discuss it (if I don't chime in, PM me and give me a link to your thread so I can help out)

OCing can get very complex, so I thried to make this guide as green friendly as possible, while still empowerin users with the basic knowledge to understand what they are doing. It's a lot to swallow in one sitting, so take your time, and don't rush Best of luck, and don't hesitate to call on the users here for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Bumpety Bump.

Update has been published folks...catch it here!
Thanks for getting the update published while I've been out of town Hokie

A huge shout-out to Senior Member "Brolloks" for his invaluable input on this update....I couldn't have done it without you man!

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 11:53 AM   #48
freeagent

Member

 
freeagent's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg!

 
Thanks for the write up! This noob finally cracked 4.2 on my ancient C0 last nite, and it didnt bluescreen with large ffts like it always does! It has been my first intel chip where it actually challenged me to get a ghz over stock, usually you are pratically guarenteed it

__________________
Xeon X5690 E.S. @ 4209MHz 1.325v/Corsair H100
Asus Rampage III Formula @ 200/3609/3609
3x2GB STT Chrome @ 802MHz 6-6-6-20 1T 1.65v
Asus GTX 580 Matrix Platinum @ 900/1000 1.1v
Intel 520 120GB/WD 1TB Black
Auzentech Prelude
Thermaltake SP850M
Fractal Design Define R4
freeagent is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 05:52 PM   #49
ewoogy
Registered



Join Date: Feb 2010

 
Thanks, helped a lot! This is my first time to ever try to overclock anything and i got my i7 920 to 4.0ghz with no problems at all. Thanks for helping the new guys!!!

__________________
cpu-i7 oc@4.0
ram-corsair dominator 1600
mobo-evga x58 sli le
hdd-wd vr 300gb 1000rpm
vid- 2xbfg gtx285's
power-corsair hx850w
raid- feser 360
cpu w/b-Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme
ewoogy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-27-10, 08:08 PM   #50
Lvcoyote
Overclocked Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor


 
Lvcoyote's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Omak, WA

10 Year Badge
 
Weak IMC


I'll concur with the weak IMC issue on these 32nm CPU's. I was going nuts trying to overclock this i5 661 past 4.0 GHz, until I dropped the ratio to 2:8, off and running now!!

__________________
ASUS Maximus VI Impact, i7-4770K, G.Skill TridentX 2X8Gb DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX 750 Ti, EVGA Hadron Hydro w/EVGA Hadron Hydro Water Cooling Kit, Samsung 840 EVO 500 Gb SSD, WD Caviar 500 Gb HDD, Panasonic UJ8C5 Slot Load DVD Burner, Windows 8.1 Pro X64/Linux Mint 16 X64

Heatware
Lvcoyote is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-10, 02:20 PM   #51
DHEnthusiast
New Member

 
DHEnthusiast's Avatar 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

 
Thanks


Love reading OC guides, nice one!

Learning all I can
DHEnthusiast is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-10, 03:48 PM   #52
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8



 
Brolloks's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Land of Long Horns

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post

A huge shout-out to Senior Member "Brolloks" for his invaluable input on this update....I couldn't have done it without you man!
You are most welcome my friend, glad I could add some value to your already excellent guide

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 08:59 AM   #53
Aynjell
Member



Join Date: Dec 2008

 
Innacurate:

Quad core i5 CPUs (Lynnfield) are identical to the low end i7 CPUs, the only exception being the lack of Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology. All i5 CPUs work only in LGA1156 based motherboards.

I5 750 being the only quad core out right now, you can add to that blanket statement "and vt-d, which allows virtual machines direct access to the hardware."

See the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#IOMMU

It's basically the stuff required for using real 3D hardware in VM's. I say give it 2 more years and somebody will come up with some type of shell operating system that lats us run Linux and Windows in parallel. A super lightweight and flexible hyper-visor...

__________________
Do not break wind in the same room as a dark brother or sister; to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis. - Aynjell, in fond memory of Lucien LeChance
Aynjell is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 09:11 AM   #54
MIAHALLEN
Senior Member

 
MIAHALLEN's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PNW

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell View Post
Innacurate:

Quad core i5 CPUs (Lynnfield) are identical to the low end i7 CPUs, the only exception being the lack of Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology. All i5 CPUs work only in LGA1156 based motherboards.

I5 750 being the only quad core out right now, you can add to that blanket statement "and vt-d, which allows virtual machines direct access to the hardware."

See the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#IOMMU

It's basically the stuff required for using real 3D hardware in VM's. I say give it 2 more years and somebody will come up with some type of shell operating system that lats us run Linux and Windows in parallel. A super lightweight and flexible hyper-visor...
Interesting, you are correct sir....thanks I missed that one

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 09:28 AM   #55
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Now that you mention it, it's also missing "Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT)", for what that's worth (nothing for most).

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 10:55 AM   #56
MIAHALLEN
Senior Member

 
MIAHALLEN's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PNW

 
Hokie...would you mind making those corrections please?

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 11:16 AM   #57
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Fixed:
Quote:
Quad core i5 CPUs (Lynnfield) are identical to the low end i7 CPUs, the only exceptions being their lack of Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel® VT-d) and Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT).
With appropriate linkage of course.

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 11:23 AM   #58
Aynjell
Member



Join Date: Dec 2008

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Fixed:

With appropriate linkage of course.
TXT I'd argue is pointless. I've never had issues without. I know I wouldn't mind an i7 860 so I could get HT and the vt-d for future use. I'm praying for the day when we can run comsumer OS's on a hypervisor. I'd love to be able to utilize all my hardware natively and be able to swap between os's at will. A man can dream, right?

__________________
Do not break wind in the same room as a dark brother or sister; to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis. - Aynjell, in fond memory of Lucien LeChance
Aynjell is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 02:10 PM   #59
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8



 
Brolloks's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Land of Long Horns

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell View Post
I'd love to be able to utilize all my hardware natively and be able to swap between os's at will. A man can dream, right?
Now that would be great...then again that is what I do 99% of the time in any event...knock on wood I have only had a few bad OS adoptions, most of the time I have a seperate dedicated OS drive for my X58, P55, P45 and X38/X48 boards, it does minimize issues.

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 08:27 PM   #60
DreadCthulhu
Registered



Join Date: Feb 2010

 
The guide mentions that sometimes the machine might not post at all and then you'll pretty much have to reset the bios. A couple of related question:

- What is usually the cause for the inability of the computer to post? Low VCore or VTT? It'd be good to know in case you made a tweak and all of a sudden the box won't boot and you have no idea what can be improved about the previous set of settings.

- What do you do in case there's no CMOS reset button? Pull the battery out?

- Sometimes a certain set of settings works fine and resets fine, and is perfectly stable throughout tests, but then it might not post the next time you turn on the machine. Why?
DreadCthulhu is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?