[O/C]Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Review And Overclocking Results

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 04:54 PM Thread Starter   #1
mdcomp
Classic Moderator Admin
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

[O/C]Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Review And Overclocking Results

First I owe Gigabyte an explanation for taking so long to get this review written up. The truth is, Gigabyte products always take me the longest time to review because they're so much fun to use. I often forget I'm supposed to be writing a review, and get completely sidetracked. I'd like to thank Angela at Gigabyte for being so patient with me taking my time to publish results any time she sends a product to me for testing.

GOOC 2009 (Gigabyte Open Overclocking Championship) was the first time I overclocked on the X58 platform, and I haven't done so since then. P55 got in the way, and althou... Return to Article
mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-26-10, 07:28 AM   #2
rdrash
Benching Team Member

Nice write up.... just received mine and can't wait to start having fun!

Look forward to seeing what you will do with a nice 5870...

[HEATWARE:
rdrash is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-26-10, 09:21 PM   #3
MIAHALLEN

Nice write-up Jeremy ...you need a higher multi

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-26-10, 09:42 PM   #4
El Kido
Disabled

Im thinnkin about ditching this UD5 for the UD7
El Kido is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-10, 12:53 PM   #5
||Console||

I never like jumping on the first group of Mb's on a socket , I like to wait a bit to get a more mature board. So this Mb has me interested, did you find a difference in the max bclock on this mb using the air cooling solution for the board vs the wb that comes with it ?

Kingston 3x 120Gig SSD
Evga 670gtx Sc 4gb
Corsair Tx750 V2

" If that Bong is filled with the right stuff you wouldn't give a damn how much noise the cooling system made lol" ViperJohn
||Console|| is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-10, 09:00 PM   #6
jpinard

Do you have a high-pitched hiss from this board?
jpinard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-05-10, 09:22 AM   #7
sno.lcn
Senior2 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||Console|| View Post
I never like jumping on the first group of Mb's on a socket , I like to wait a bit to get a more mature board. So this Mb has me interested, did you find a difference in the max bclock on this mb using the air cooling solution for the board vs the wb that comes with it ?
I didn't use WC on the chipset, but the air cooling solution is effective for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
Do you have a high-pitched hiss from this board?
No, the only hiss was coming from the HD 4890
sno.lcn is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-05-10, 12:28 PM   #8
jpinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno.lcn View Post
I didn't use WC on the chipset, but the air cooling solution is effective for sure.

No, the only hiss was coming from the HD 4890
My current board, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R has a high-pitched whine coming from somewhere on the board. It's really awful.
Old 04-07-10, 01:32 PM   #9
jpinard

Exactly what voltages did you use to attain 4.5 GHz? I have the GA-X58A-UD5 and am having a terribel time getting it OC'ed... worse than the UD3R. If you can post those voltages that would help a lot. Thanks!
Old 04-07-10, 01:35 PM   #10
sno.lcn
Senior2 Member

I will vary by CPU. 4.5GHz on this was around 1.42v on the CPU, with VTT and PLL at auto iirc.
sno.lcn is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-10, 01:48 PM   #11
jpinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno.lcn View Post
I will vary by CPU. 4.5GHz on this was around 1.42v on the CPU, with VTT and PLL at auto iirc.
mdcomp said he increased 3 voltages: CPU, VTT, and DDR3. So having those 3 values will help me a lot.
Old 04-07-10, 01:50 PM   #12
sno.lcn
Senior2 Member

You're right, then CPU was 1.42, vtt was probably around 1.35~1.42v, and DDR3 was at 1.68v.
Old 04-07-10, 04:35 PM   #13
jpinard

Thanks!
Old 04-07-10, 10:10 PM   #14
jpinard

OK another question for you. Do you think there might be a big OC difference between the UD5 and the UD7? I'm not getting the clock speeds I thought I might with this board, but don't want to swap out if I'm temp limited anyways (I'm at 72c with the same processor @4.10 GHz).

Voltages are (need to reboot to check), but I'm wondering if the UD7 can run my same processor at a lower voltage?
Old 04-07-10, 10:19 PM   #15
sno.lcn
Senior2 Member

No, as much as I love UD7, I don't think you're going to get much benefit if you've already got a UD5 unless you're really pushing the clocks on Gulftown and/or LN2 cooling.

My 920 was pushing the same temps at 4.5GHz on air as yours is at 4.1. The newer batch 920 D0s are good on air at mid-4GHz range with nice low volts, but after a certain point they scale terribly, but that's fine if you're on air or water cooling. My 920 was pushing 82 C at 4.6v. Of course this all depends on your cooling. I'd trade you if I still had the chip, because I bet with the high temps yours would be great under LN2
Old 04-08-10, 02:30 AM   #16
mattspalace
I been Dolk'ed Senior

Looks like another great board from Gigabyte.

One thing I do wish they would start giving a bit more attention to (or maybe going a new direction) is overall appearance of the board itself. The blue and white color combo is getting a little drab and could use some updating.

SSD: 2 X 120GB Kingston Hyper-X 3K in RAID-0
CPU: Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz - 1.18V
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
Video Card: EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
PSU: Corsair AX-750
Monitor: Dell U2410
mattspalace is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-10, 01:20 AM   #17
jpinard

For my testing, The UD3R did fantastic, the UD5 did horrible, and the main competitor for the Gigabyte X58A-UD56, then Asus P6X58D Premium - blew the Gigabyte away. Maybe that extra $50-$70 cost to go from the UD5-to the UD7 is Worth it, but I can't in good conscious suggest ANYONE buy a a UD5 board. Performs terrible as an OC'er.
Old 04-12-10, 05:21 AM   #18
MIAHALLEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
For my testing, The UD3R did fantastic, the UD5 did horrible, and the main competitor for the Gigabyte X58A-UD56, then Asus P6X58D Premium - blew the Gigabyte away. Maybe that extra $50-$70 cost to go from the UD5-to the UD7 is Worth it, but I can't in good conscious suggest ANYONE buy a a UD5 board. Performs terrible as an OC'er.
Sounds like you got a dud...I've already seen quite a few good results on the UD5.

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-10, 12:21 PM   #19
jpinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post
Sounds like you got a dud...I've already seen quite a few good results on the UD5.
THat's to bad because I really like Gigbayte as a company and love their BIOS (more than Assu's).
Old 04-21-10, 04:35 PM   #20
Dolk
I once overclocked an Intel
in a nightmare and
it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything

So I heard you like Huge Heatsinks in odd places.

be proud of the pink stars
Earthdog: New codename for SB for extreme overclockers... BLEH.

Dolk is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards