• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Tapes Out 6000-Series Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would be nice if the competition was intense enough for some nice price drops!

I think it has more to do with manufacturing costs.

I dont see the situation as being that bad for Nvidia. They have a new architecture out already, and they will continue to refine it. It is pure speculation, that ATI will be able to match it. Let alone keep temps and power requirements in line with what appears to be their M.O. I mean, that is really the only argument against going 4xx. And I have never found it a sound argument, at that.

Six months ago, ATI's momentum was thought to peak with what was surely a new process, sometime in 2010. That isn't happening.

Last edited:
I dont see the situation as being that bad for Nvidia. They have a new architecture out already, and they will continue to refine it.

Really? Nvidia has been out of the game for over 7 months now, and just finally released a card that gets 3-6 fps more in games than Ati's 5870 that costs 100 dollars less.

It is pure speculation, that ATI will be able to match it. Let alone keep temps and power requirements in line with what appears to be their M.O. I mean, that is really the only argument against going 4xx. And I have never found it a sound argument, at that.

Why would you bet on it being speculation after Ati came through with the 5 series and erased 10% of Nvidia's market share in 7 months? Why are you anchoring Ati's product to their better power and heat performance than Nvidia's chips? 5970 anyone?

Six months ago, ATI's momentum was thought to peak with what was surely a new process, sometime in 2010. That isn't happening.

You're posting this in a thread that quotes an article stating that Ati has already taped out it's next product that will release sometime this year... Not sure what you're basing "That ain't happening" on...

Last edited:
I agree, ATi is on a roll right now and they show no signs of stopping. nVidia is going to have to do something spectacular with their gtx 400 series cards pretty soon or their market share percentage will continue to shrink. I've used and liked their 8,9 and 200 series cards but right now they are kinda playing second fiddle to ATi's hardware in my book.

My progression in the last 3 years was 8800gts>8800gtx>Radeon4870>Radeon5870. I tend to be brand agnostic even though my company got burned (literally and figuratively) by Nvidia's face melting mobile gpu temperatures that they never fessed up to.

I like the back and forth and tend to view Ati as the underdog. Probably because they are owned by the insufferable Amd group now. :p

Hmmm going back as far as I can rememer.....

X800XL > 1800XL > HD1900XT > 8800GT > 2x HD4850's > 285GTX > ??? (Highly probably of ATI)

That is a brilliant way of preventing me from quoting you evensen007. Welcome to the forum...

Nvidia has a new, very impressive architecture, why is that lost on everyone? Is ATI going to be able to match that, and still keep temps and power requirements low? I mean, that is what is making them champions of the people, even with the markup that hasn't come down...

And it is very significant that ATI was slated to release their new architecture on a new process, which isnt happening. Reading skills...

Come on man. Raving about increased market share due to a new series (which in all reality, is nothing more than a repackaged 4xxx series with DX11 support), while your competition isn't on the same footing in that respect, proves what exactly? I mean, how mny quarters does ATI need to find itself on par with Nvidia on the consumer end, let alone the other markets. Where are the new engines that software developers are creaming in their pants over?

Let's wait to see how Nvidia ultimately packages fermi, down the road. Because that architecture advances gaming. ****, it even helps developers, who if you haven't noticed, develop on Nvidia cards for a reason, it helps them develop games that are just as friendly to ATI cards as Nvidia cards. Sometime soon, the days of ATI hotfixes due to compatibility issues should be dramatically reduced.

Last edited:
Right now imo the only thing nvidia has going for its self right now is their awesome CUDA platform. The only reason I would see myself owning a gtx 4 series is for cuda applications, although from reading the Seti@home forums here the 480 cant even do that very well compared to the 2xx series. Its only a matter of time now until OpenCL gains popularity due to its hardware agnostic properties that allow the use of x86 as well as GPU hardware. nVidia is going to have to come down in price to look more attractive to compensate for their heat issues and general level performance with their less expensive ATi counterparts.

Last edited:
That is a brilliant way of preventing me from quoting you evensen007. Welcome to the forum...

Nvidia has a new, very impressive architecture, why is that lost on everyone? Is ATI going to be able to match that, and still keep temps and power requirements low? I mean, that is what is making them champions of the people, even with the markup that hasn't come down...

And it is very significant that ATI was slated to release their new architecture on a new process, which isnt happening. Reading skills...

Come on man. Raving about increased market share due to a new series (which in all reality, is nothing more than a repackaged 4xxx series with DX11 support), while your competition isn't on the same footing in that respect, proves what exactly? I mean, how mny quarters does ATI need to find itself on par with Nvidia on the consumer end, let alone the other markets. Where are the new engines that software developers are creaming in their pants over?

Let's wait to see how Nvidia ultimately packages fermi, down the road. Because that architecture advances gaming. ****, it even helps developers, who if you haven't noticed, develop on Nvidia cards for a reason, it helps them develop games that are just as friendly to ATI cards as Nvidia cards. Sometime soon, the days of ATI hotfixes due to compatibility issues should be dramatically reduced.

Right, so the more power hungry, larger, hotter, more expensive and less efficient chip design in every way (in terms cost, size, performance) is somehow the more impressive architecture?

Well you're welcome to pay £100 more for a 5-10% performance gain if you want. ATI has already matched Fermi in every way that counts and consumer spending habits have reflected this for some time now.

Give me a break dude. I really quoted you that way so you couldn't quote me back? Chalk it up to my poor forum skills, not a conspiracy theory. Yikes. Why does Ati have to match Fermi? The 480 gains 3-6 frames in a couple of games over the 5870. If you find Fermi impressive, you must REALLY be impressed with the 5xxx series, since it came out 7 months ago and goes toe to toe with the 480 in most games. I considered going 2x gtx480 instead of my 2x 5870, but the power requirement were through the roof. That IS relevant regardless of what you think. I'm not arguing that the 480 isn't a nice, fast chip.

Let's wait until later this year before you confirm that Ati will not have a new process this year. Nvidia rode the 8/9 series for over 2 years.

The fact that you claim the 5 series is a 4 series with dx11 added in instantly negates any substance or seriousness you are capable of. Are you SERIOUS!? I had a 4870 and was very happy with my 5870 upgrade. Read any review/benchmark/charts. I really can't believe you wrote that.

New engines that software developers are "creaming their pants over"? Isn't it up to the software developers to create the new engines? Ati provided full dx11 support in their new chips. What did Nvidia offer with the fermi? Great Tessalation enhancements. Wow... Mind-blowing. Dx11? 7 months later.

Fermi "advances gaming" according to you, so any arguments back and forth are lost on you. You are so far in the tank drowning in kool-aid with a statement like that. REALLY? Fermi advances gaming? And you are REALLY going to trot out the "Way it's meant to be played" line? My catalyst drivers run every game I own. Crossfire works great. I am a happy boy.

I digress.

Last edited:
Oh boy, this thread has gotten FUN!

I think I'll try it out today as well. :)

They already have an architecture that can match the 400 series and keep temps and power requirements low. It's called the 5000 series.

Fair enough, although that doesn't mean it can't be good.

Don't even get started on rebranding cards. Remember the G92? They still sell that as a 'new' card. Plus there is the fact that the 5000 series ISN'T a 4000 card with DX11 support. It could be though, that's all that ATI needs to compete with the 400 cards.

Did nvidia pay you some of the cash that was supposed to go to the game companies? You seem to somehow think the 400 series is a lot better than it actually is. The only time it's impressive is when you stick dry ice or LN2 on it to control the temps, since that's the only real thing keeping it from a large OC. At 1000mhz core, it gets some good scores. 700, not so much.

It does make for a great space heater though. Unfortunately I already paid 500$ for a space heater a few years back. It plays forza like nothing else. :D

LOL@ Kona! I honestly didn't mean to screw him up by quoting him like that!

I also should not have gotten worked up over something so stupid. They are both nice chips. Why are we discussing Fermi (dear god, can we stop calling the stupid thing Fermi? I propose G4 series or something.) in an Ati tape-out thread!?

I also should not have gotten worked up over something so stupid. They are both nice chips. Why are we discussing Fermi (dear god, can we stop calling the stupid thing Fermi? I propose G4 series or something.) in an Ati tape-out thread!?

Because he's a fanboy that can't help himself. Your post was perfectly reasonable.

Charlie said Nvidia will be out of business very soon

I think charlie is the unhappiest guy that ever lived.
I mean cm on, he's acting even worse than fanboys Oo

I know. :)

Because he's a fanboy that can't help himself. Your post was perfectly reasonable.

And this right here is QFT.

Charlie said Nvidia will be out of business very soon

I think charlie is the unhappiest guy that ever lived.
I mean cm on, he's acting even worse than fanboys Oo

Ugh, let's not get started on charlie brown. SNEMOTICON13.gif

Oh boy, this thread has gotten FUN!

It does make for a great space heater though. Unfortunately I already paid 500$ for a space heater a few years back. It plays forza like nothing else. :D

Has to be one of the best things my computer is good for during the winter months. It keeps my room like 3-5 degrees warmer :D

Has to be one of the best things my computer is good for during the winter months. It keeps my room like 3-5 degrees warmer :D

It sucks when its 100 degrees outside though. Because then your room being 3-5 degrees warmer sucks. Stupid desert...

GTX400 @ DX11 ftw.

ATi's architecture has been pretty much identical since the 2900XT. Since then, all they have done is increase the amount of shaders and play with the core speeds / GDDR configs. I wouldn't be surprised if their "new architecture" will be the exact same as the 5000 series but x2. The only obvious improvement IMO, should be the tessalation engine.

That said however, I hope 6000 series kicks butt. Always keeps nVidia on their toes. ATi is definitely pushing hard on nVidia right now performance/power draw. The only explanation I would have for this is the fact that nvidia's architecture is much more complex - which is not as efficient in DX9/DX10 games, but thrives in a DX11 environment. The 6000 should be hell bent on DX11 to de-throne the 400 series.

-D

Back