• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Tapes Out 6000-Series Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please stay on topic. This discussion is about the future 6000 seires from ATI, not about Fermi!

The 6000 series is going to use parts from a completely new architecture and if it's anymore efficient than the existing 5000 series architecture, Nvidia is in for a world of hurt because no die-shrink is going to save them.

I don't consider myself a fanboy at all, and while others say they are not, they are obviously making statements that are less than objective.

bottom line:
ATI is impressing right now. After 2-3 years of struggling to keep pace with Nvidia, they have their act together. The 5830 is their only 'flop' of a card, and it was probably only launched because of high demand across the 5800 series. If they can continue to build up their driver support, and not launch a lemon line-up of video cards, they'll be postured to do well. I had hoped ATI prices would drop when Fermi was released, but that's apparently not going to happen; at least not quite yet.

Nvidia is not impressing right now. Yes, they have the fastest single GPU card in the world, but it's also extremely hot, extremely noisy, and extremely power hungry. Having owned dozens of Nvidia video cards over the years, I can say this is the loudest video card I've ever had that didn't/doesn't have an overclock. The performance is impressive, but I expect better from Nvidia. I hope they get the next series right. If they don't, ATI is going to take a majority of the video card market away from them. Nvidia hit a grand slam with the 8800 series. I hope they do it again.. And yes, I'm sitting here with two GTX 470's at the moment, and wishing they would idle with temps that were comparable to my 5850's or 5870's.

I hope the 6000 series doesn't launch until Fall because I'm getting tired of buying video cards all the time! :D

This is what Nvidia paid for with Fermi :

With the figure of 328.05 GFLOPS, Tesla C2050 is taking the crown of world's most powerful single piece of silicon. While there are CPUs that can achieve higher numbers, they're consisted out of multiple dies. Until C2050 came along, world's most powerful piece of silicon belonged to IBM and their PowerXCell 8i, more known as "The Cell." Equipped with full eight SPE units, the PowerXCell 8i at 3.2GHz yields out 100 GFLOPS, as measured by the team of prof. Jack Dongarra, creator of Linpack.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/5/19/cpu-beware-nvidia-tesla-linpack-numbers-analyzed.aspx

Back on topic :

HD6000 seems reminiscent of GT200, in that it is a 'bridge' architecture to something much better.

ATI -> Large quantity of smaller more efficient dies, co-existing with Fusion strategy. Fusion strategy can potentially work everywhere, from ultra low power all the way up to HPC, high volume is key.

Nvidia -> Gigantic 'co-processors' for HPC, discrete gaming takes a back seat for higher margin type cards. HPC is being pushed hard.

Their strategies aren't the same anymore, it'll be very interesting to see how they diverge from here on in.

I'd personally like to see AMD/ATI start trashing Intel in the integrated graphics arena and getting market share back. Nvidia is kind of screwed when Intel and AMD start putting world class graphics directly on die with their CPU's, seems like they didn't have much choice but to go hard to HPC and keep the 'halo' discrete GPU.

The even bigger picture isn't Nvidia vs. AMD / ATI vs. Intel, but x86 vs ARM.

I wonder if the 6000-Series Graphics Cards are really going to be outstanding, I have not heard of any real big changes in architecture.:rain:

On-chip stuff won't ever be more then low end. The low end five years from now will make current mid to mid-high cards look pretty silly (4350 vs fx5600 anybody?), but by then the mid to high end will be that much more impressive.

The reason for this is power consumption. I don't see high end gpus getting any more power efficient, and CPU manufacturers can't be adding 200w to their 75w cpus.

On-chip stuff won't ever be more then low end. The low end five years from now will make current mid to mid-high cards look pretty silly (4350 vs fx5600 anybody?), but by then the mid to high end will be that much more impressive.

The reason for this is power consumption. I don't see high end gpus getting any more power efficient, and CPU manufacturers can't be adding 200w to their 75w cpus.

I don't know about this. My Asus G73JH-A2 laptop has the Ati mobile 5870 in it that is 75watts and compares somewhere between a 5750 and 5770 @ stock. If you bump it up a little bit it can rival a 5770. If they can put it in a laptop, you'd think they could solder it onto a desktop motherboard right?

No need to be a fanboy, the manufacturer that brings the most bang for my buck will win. 4000 and 5000 series have been the winner, we'll see if its nvidia next generation.

I don't know about this. My Asus G73JH-A2 laptop has the Ati mobile 5870 in it that is 75watts and compares somewhere between a 5750 and 5770 @ stock. If you bump it up a little bit it can rival a 5770. If they can put it in a laptop, you'd think they could solder it onto a desktop motherboard right?

Have you looked at the GPU in your laptop? Odds are it's an MXM, so think about a 3.5x3.5 square absolutely packed in components. Now see if you can find room on a desktop mobo to put 3.5x3.5 of packed components and a cooler capable of getting rid of 75w.

Have you looked at the GPU in your laptop? Odds are it's an MXM, so think about a 3.5x3.5 square absolutely packed in components. Now see if you can find room on a desktop mobo to put 3.5x3.5 of packed components and a cooler capable of getting rid of 75w.

There's room on those new extended matx boards to find room for 3.5" of room!

There's room on those new extended matx boards to find room for 3.5" of room!

And how many typical people have a case of that size to use those boards? Let alone the price of the board would go up.

CPU's are hot as is, sure they might only put off 100-120W on the high end, until OCed, but even then adding another 70-100W for the GPU. That requires a vastly larger CPU cooler that motherboards aren't accustomed to take. Not only that an intake/exhaust system should be highly considered in this case then to. There is no room on the motherboard to put a heatsink system like seen on a GPU.

I don't consider myself a fanboy at all, and while others say they are not, they are obviously making statements that are less than objective.

bottom line:
ATI is impressing right now. After 2-3 years of struggling to keep pace with Nvidia, they have their act together. The 5830 is their only 'flop' of a card, and it was probably only launched because of high demand across the 5800 series. If they can continue to build up their driver support, and not launch a lemon line-up of video cards, they'll be postured to do well. I had hoped ATI prices would drop when Fermi was released, but that's apparently not going to happen; at least not quite yet.

Nvidia is not impressing right now. Yes, they have the fastest single GPU card in the world, but it's also extremely hot, extremely noisy, and extremely power hungry. Having owned dozens of Nvidia video cards over the years, I can say this is the loudest video card I've ever had that didn't/doesn't have an overclock. The performance is impressive, but I expect better from Nvidia. I hope they get the next series right. If they don't, ATI is going to take a majority of the video card market away from them. Nvidia hit a grand slam with the 8800 series. I hope they do it again.. And yes, I'm sitting here with two GTX 470's at the moment, and wishing they would idle with temps that were comparable to my 5850's or 5870's.
I hope the 6000 series doesn't launch until Fall because I'm getting tired of buying video cards all the time! :D

I'm just curious what are you temps for the SLi config you have????

+1

Even if 6000 (far fetched thought) would be on-chip, you'd end up with quite the power hog of a chip, not to forget about the size needed for each. That would require a monster socket with almost twice the amount of pins and then you're talking massive heat and power delivery issues...

Would be nice to see that happen in the next die shrinks though!

Back