Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 05:31 PM   #101
DocNick

Nice guide man! Saves me for a lot of time!
DocNick is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-10, 07:10 PM   #102
MIAHALLEN

to OCForums DocNick, glad the guide was helpful for you

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 06:52 AM   #103
gosa

Great guide!

Found this forum searching google for some hints on overclocking my i7 860 and like some of the other posters I just had to register to post my appreciation.

Only problem I have now is to make a good chunk of time available to try this out without the gf complaining to much...
gosa is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 06:53 AM   #104
Ace.
Registered

good Guide!
Here my i5-661 @4,7Ghz LinX and Prime stable

Ace. is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 09:31 AM   #105
MIAHALLEN

Hey guys.... to OCForums to the both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosa View Post
Found this forum searching google for some hints on overclocking my i7 860 and like some of the other posters I just had to register to post my appreciation.

Only problem I have now is to make a good chunk of time available to try this out without the gf complaining to much...
Nice....thanks for stopping by Stick around a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
good Guide!
Here my i5-661 @4,7Ghz LinX and Prime stable

Whoa ....nice OC

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-10, 09:27 PM   #106
verysoon

Excellent Guide

never had i register in any OC forum just to say thanks.

where i come from, it's very hot, like always in the 30c ~ 34c range. 100% load on my stock intel cooler can easily hit 90c.

even thou, u made me dauntless in my impending attempt to OC, at least to 4ghz.

Thanks
verysoon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-10, 10:01 PM   #107
MIAHALLEN

Thanks mate....glad it was helpful

Old 06-22-10, 01:41 PM   #108
gosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post
Hey guys.... to OCForums to the both of you!
Nice....thanks for stopping by Stick around a bit
I sure will...

Been doing some initial testing and I've managed to get my i7 860 up to 3,8GHz (BLCK190*20) so far... the voltages I've used are 1.3V for VCore and 1.3V for VTT - With that I'm stable for a full night, and temps keep between 75-79C running Prime95 which means I can do most of my "stuff" at temperatures around 70C.

I do have serious problems taking the step up to 4GHz though, because right now I just don't have sufficient cooling for that... Need some better fans in my box first (but that's a question for the "cooling" section.

Anyway - Thanks again for the guide, now I'm looking forward to the next step!
gosa is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-17-10, 02:28 PM   #109
Joe12
Registered

QPI question

Hi, this is my first time overclocking. Thanks MIAHALLEN, for the amazing guide, it cleared up alot. I am overclocking an i7-930, and I have a question about the QPI clock ratio. You mentioned that it is a function of the bclock, so should I just keep the QPI clock ratio at 'auto' since it will be increased as I increase my bclock, or should I change it to something else? (I can chose between x36, x44, x48, and slow mode). If i do keep it at auto, when (if ever) would need to change it?
Joe12 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-18-10, 02:32 PM   #110
MIAHALLEN

Hey Joe, to OCForums

If you leave the QPI ratio on "auto", most motherboards will set it to x36 when you OC....and that would be fine. If you'd like to set it manually, do so at x36. And no, there would never be a need to change that unless you want to push the bclock to the limit for benching (not for everyday use), in that case "slow mode" sometimes helps a bit

Old 07-31-10, 05:06 AM   #111
virang.dalal

Talking MB for i7 930 ??

I am planing for a complete update. I am getting a i7 930. Which motherboard is better?

ASUS P6X58D-E -- $239(apprx)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SUS%20P6X58D-E

Gigabyte GA X58A-UD3R -- $209(apprx)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128423
virang.dalal is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 06:24 AM   #112
wkchan1979

thx MIAHALLEN for great info especially newbie like me!!
nod question here, if i would like to fix my CPU clock to 3.9Ghz but i doubt which option i should increase, either BCLOCK or CPU Multiple? there are few combination i can play around this two option to get 3.9Ghz but what is your suggestion? Increase BClock or CPU Multiple?
thx again!!
wkchan1979 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 06:26 AM   #113
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Unless you have an unlocked multiplier chip, you cant move your multi up outside of the turbo function (which on most boards can be permanent).

With that said, IMHO, thats the game, a nice solid bclck will improve performance a bit more than only a raised multi.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 07:05 AM   #114
wkchan1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
Unless you have an unlocked multiplier chip, you cant move your multi up outside of the turbo function (which on most boards can be permanent).

With that said, IMHO, thats the game, a nice solid bclck will improve performance a bit more than only a raised multi.
thx! i tried play around and found Temp increase more if increase BClock compare to CPU multiple... too bad. btw another nod question, will SPD number lower will be better? i try change from Auto to 6.
thx a lot!!
Old 08-01-10, 07:09 AM   #115
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

You cant change SPD number...thats just a setting for a specific speed. You would need to know your memory's default timings/voltage (the SPD you were talking about!). I would set those 4 main timings manually as well as the voltage.

You can change the memory latency speed though (which was what you were talking about with just the wrong terminology). I doubt you will be able to go to 6.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-10, 08:10 AM   #116
wkchan1979

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
You cant change SPD number...thats just a setting for a specific speed. You would need to know your memory's default timings/voltage (the SPD you were talking about!). I would set those 4 main timings manually as well as the voltage.

You can change the memory latency speed though (which was what you were talking about with just the wrong terminology). I doubt you will be able to go to 6.
you are right sir. it just died when try to restart. i have to reset the BIOS so should i put into Auto mode? as i saw memory frequency at bios shown more than 1333(default) = around 17++ when i set to auto mode and it can reduce by put the SPD to 6... would should i do then. thx again!!
Old 08-01-10, 08:14 AM   #117
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

No set it manually as mentioned above.

Dont bother with CAS6 really. If 7 is stock, run it there.

Old 08-01-10, 08:42 AM   #118
wkchan1979

thx!! let me have a try and review again the tutorial. i must be miss out something that i yet understand... Thx!!!
Old 08-09-10, 07:29 AM   #119
ufc

Quote:
So, are you ready to start overclocking? After entering your BIOS and lowering the CPU & MEM multipliers, go to the voltages section and raise your IOH to 1.3-1.35V and your CPU VTT to +0.2V. Then restart your machine and go back into the BIOS
Quote:
If the test ran without error, raise the bclock by 10MHz, reboot into your OS and run the test again. If the test failed, raise the CPU VTT voltage by a small increment, reboot into your OS and run the test again
Quote:
What is the maximum safe CPU VTT voltage? Depends on a lot of things, but I feel like these are some basic conservative guidelines. If you’re running the stock Intel heatsink and fan, I would not advise more than +0.2V, if you are running a high end air cooler
So I am using a stock intel cooler with an i7 920 so you say in the first step to increase the CPU VTT to +0.2V and then perform a few tests if the first test fails to increase the CPU VTT by a small increment(what exactly is considered a small increment 0.05?) but its already at the maximum safe voltage. So do I just adjust the bclock frequency and leave the CPU VTT Voltage alone after setting to +0.2V in step one? Sorry just a bit confused here. Thanks

Last edited by ufc; 08-09-10 at 07:49 AM.
ufc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-09-10, 08:26 AM   #120
MIAHALLEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufc View Post
So do I just adjust the bclock frequency and leave the CPU VTT Voltage alone after setting to +0.2V in step one?
That is correct Since you're using the stock cooler, my reccommendation for starting voltage, is also the recommended max, if you feel more would be benneficial, I would suggest getting a better cooler first

Good luck, and keep us posted. Feel free to start a new thread so more people will look at your questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs