[O/C]AMD Phenom II x6 1075T Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 11:12 PM   #1
Overclockers.com

[O/C]AMD Phenom II x6 1075T Review

AMD Phenom II x6 1075T Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

Quote:
For quite a few months now, there have been two choices of Thuban - the Phenom II x6 1055T and the Phenom II x6 1090T. Clocking in at 3.0GHz, today AMD releases a third, the Phenom II x6 1075T.
... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-20-10, 11:16 PM   #2
mdcomp
Classic Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Excellent review!

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 03:09 AM   #3
QuietIce
Disabled

Excellent clocks for the vCore - I couldn't believe 4.0 GHz with only 1.37v!

BTW - Most if us think of 1.30-1.35v (not 1.25v) as being stock voltage for most chips with the exception of the low power ('e') offerings ...
QuietIce is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 05:37 AM   #4
The Coolest

10 Year Badge

Great review, but I have two comments:
First, the not-to-scale graphs are confusing. Even though it's stated in the article, it still gives the impression of a huge performance gap between the processor when the gap is not very big.

Second, I recommend you to update to the latest Core Temp, as 0.99.5 is long out of date.

Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (+ HDDs) / GPU: HD5450 or 8800 Ultra / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBXL RipJaws X - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
Secondary rig:
Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ Stock / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 4GB total / PSU: FSP ATX350-PNR 350W.
Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Heatware
The Coolest is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 06:28 AM   #5
ScrewySqrl

a related review of the 1075t got a successful overclock of 4.15 GHz, exceeding the4.0 max of the 1090t

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=9
ScrewySqrl is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 07:40 AM   #6
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietIce View Post

Excellent clocks for the vCore - I couldn't believe 4.0 GHz with only 1.37v!

BTW - Most if us think of 1.30-1.35v (not 1.25v) as being stock voltage for most chips with the exception of the low power ('e') offerings ...
It was about 1.416 Vcore loaded. The Crosshair IV Formula overshoots by ~.04-.05 V with LLC on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySqrl View Post
a related review of the 1075t got a successful overclock of 4.15 GHz, exceeding the4.0 max of the 1090t

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=9
As I mentiond, 4.0 was not the max I could go 24/7. Indeed, it did that at only 46 C. It could have easily exceeded 4.0, but that was the number I chose to use for 24/7 operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Great review, but I have two comments:
First, the not-to-scale graphs are confusing. Even though it's stated in the article, it still gives the impression of a huge performance gap between the processor when the gap is not very big.

Second, I recommend you to update to the latest Core Temp, as 0.99.5 is long out of date.
I was torn on the data. The graphs for things like everest & 3DMark with scores in the tens of thousands just looked silly with bars the same length. The express purpose for mentioning that was so people didn't get confused. Worked for you, hope it worked for everybody.

Roger that on the CoreTemp update, thanks!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 08:34 AM   #7
Dolk
I once overclocked an Intel
in a nightmare and
it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything

Ahh thats why you kept bothering me trying to overclock a "1090T"

be proud of the pink stars
Earthdog: New codename for SB for extreme overclockers... BLEH.

Dolk is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 08:45 AM   #8
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Ahh, but I never said a 1090T. I said a Thuban and never specified a model or any details; and you didn't ask.

(Thanks much for your help. Dolk rules everybody!)

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 09:02 AM   #9
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

Excellent review as usual Jeremy!!!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 09:17 AM   #10
Dolk
in a nightmare and
it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything

I can see that this is going to be a good CPU for the $600-800 computers.

Hokie I'll expect something in the mail

Old 09-21-10, 09:21 AM   #11
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks ED!

Agreed Dolk. ...and what's that you expect? I can send a thank you note if you want.

Old 09-21-10, 09:42 AM   #12
Dolk
in a nightmare and
it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything

Exactly what I was expecting

Old 09-21-10, 11:05 AM   #13
Marshmallow64

Good review, too bad its not black edition.

SSD: OCZ Vertex 120 GB | HD1: WD Black 640 GB | HD2: WD Black 2 TB
SC: Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty | PSU: Corsair HX 620 W
KB: Saitek Eclipse | MOUSE: Logitech MX 518
CASE: Antec 1200 | OS: Windows 7 x64
:: Laptop ::
MOD: Macbook Pro 13 2011 | CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 | OS: OS X Lion 10.7.2
Marshmallow64 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 11:45 AM   #14
Khan

Great review, its so good to see AMD gaining some ground again.

I've supported them from the day I built my first pc on a socket A and I honestly feel that if it wasn't for them, Intel would not have felt compelled to make better processors and just sell mediocre performance for a premium price.

maybe I should get one of these new thubans, damit, always so many things to upgrade ><

asus DCII 7870
corsair HX750 750 watt PSU

Hyper 212 EVO.
Khan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 04:00 PM   #15
Dark-Asylum

The cpu in this review is definitely cherry picked...I just picked up a 1075t from frys that wouldn't even post 4.0 @ 1.5v...sad. I played with timings, dividers, HT frequency, multipler down fsb up, increased CPU NB vid, northbridge vcore, ram vcore, and NOTHING would get the cpu to post even past 3805 mhz...

this chip has such a low voltage range for OCing headroom. I could get to 3600mhz @ stock vcore, but i pretty much have to kick the vcore up to 1.45 before it will post @ 3.8 and then 1.475 to stabilize. any clocks higher and no matter what i push to it, it doesn't post.

weak chip!!!!!
Dark-Asylum is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 04:05 PM   #16
QuietIce
Disabled

to OCF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Asylum View Post
The cpu in this review is definitely cherry picked...I just picked up a 1075t from frys that wouldn't even post 4.0 @ 1.5v...sad. I played with timings, dividers, HT frequency, multipler down fsb up, increased CPU NB vid, northbridge vcore, ram vcore, and NOTHING would get the cpu to post even past 3805 mhz...

this chip has such a low voltage range for OCing headroom. I could get to 3600mhz @ stock vcore, but i pretty much have to kick the vcore up to 1.45 before it will post @ 3.8 and then 1.475 to stabilize. any clocks higher and no matter what i push to it, it doesn't post.

weak chip!!!!!
I'm sure it couldn't be the RAM, motherboard, or PSU holding your overclock back ...
QuietIce is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 04:06 PM   #17
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Asylum View Post
weak chip!!!!!
This is more likely than OCF having cherry picked one I would imagine. Its nice to have your experience in this thread to show the good and bad though. But who knows, maybe AMD cherry picks all their CPU's for reviews (if we even got it that way???).

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 04:06 PM   #18
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Just to clarify, your chip was weak, not all chips are weak. I've had an i7 860 that wouldn't stabilize at 4.0GHz with 1.45Vcore and one that did just fine at 4.0GHz at 1.32Vcore. Every model of every chip has strong ones and weak ones.

I did come from AMD, and I can't speak to what happened to it from production until I got it. I doubt it's worth it to them to cherry pick however many they send out for review. Cost / Benefit just isn't there.

Old 09-21-10, 04:09 PM   #19
Dolk
in a nightmare and
it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything

Dark

If you truly believe that you cannot get the 1075T to go past 3.8ghz boot up, than don't bother reading this.

Otherwise, message me and I'll show you a couple things.

Old 09-21-10, 04:12 PM   #20
Dark-Asylum

I was mainly posting out of frustation, since then i've returned the 1075t for the i5 760(mainly because I am more interested in the fantastic GTX 460 SLI scaling performance gains).

I will shoot you a PM mainly because I would like to know what you're talking about.
Dark-Asylum is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs