• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Lamptron Touch Fan Controller Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Lamptron Touch Fan Controller Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

lamptron-touch-15-300x132.jpg

It has been a little while since Lamptron released their flagship, FC-5 fan controller (now known as the FC5V2, which fixes screen contrast issues). In the interim they did release the FC-6, which is just a lower wattage FC5V2. Now they have leaped forward a bit and are releasing the Touch, Lamptron’s first touch-screen controller.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

well, I was going to mod my sunbeam so the led's aren't so bright when I get my 800D, but man, this just solved all my problems about touch screens and them not having enough power for my deltas.

great review, nice to see a company working close with the enthusiast community to put out a good product.

Good job as always hokie :thup:

I thought I'd mention that I get the same random RPM readings on my FC5V2.

Thanks for the kind words!

MattNo5ss - Really? Huh...must be something they changed between the FC5 & FC5V2 b/c my FC5's readings are dead on with the same setup as before.

Does yours happen like this one? One strong fan is good but two throws it out of whack?

One very important question that wasn't talked about in the article: noise.

I have a different model fan controller that, from the looks of it, appears to use the same method of controlling the voltage to the fans. It tends to make a very noticeable clicking noise from each circuit when it approaches the 60% and lower setting (I'm guessing its the transistor making the clicking sound). How does this controller fair with noise in that respect?

My FC5(v1) was solid after I only used 1 RPM lead (not what this issue is, but figured Id mention it).

I have a different model fan controller that, from the looks of it, appears to use the same method of controlling the voltage to the fans. It tends to make a very noticeable clicking noise from each circuit when it approaches the 60% and lower setting (I'm guessing its the transistor making the clicking sound). How does this controller fair with noise in that respect?

I'm highly doubtful the clicking is the transistor (as in, unless it's arcing it's not), typically that is the motor in the fan that will make the clicking. It's discussed a little here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391

No, trust me, its the controller itself, though I too am not sure if its the transistor. Each individual circuit will make the clicking sound when the voltage is lowered beyond a certain point, though one could also call it a buzzing, just like the recent Gigabyte X58 mobos and the inductors. It's definitely not the fans clicking. These Gentle Typhoons don't click like the Mechatronics when undervolted.

No noise out of this unit in the slightest. I've got 2x .65 A Panaflos on one channel and 3x .80 A Deltas on another in my case right now. Both are running as quiet as fans of their stature can at 42% (between five and six volts).

Likewise, when testing voltage regulation at 50% with the 4x .65 A Panaflos, all was well with no noise at all. That was outside a case too, so there's nothing that could have masked any sound if it were emanating from the controller.

No, trust me, its the controller itself, though I too am not sure if its the transistor. Each individual circuit will make the clicking sound when the voltage is lowered beyond a certain point, though one could also call it a buzzing, just like the recent Gigabyte X58 mobos and the inductors. It's definitely not the fans clicking. These Gentle Typhoons don't click like the Mechatronics when undervolted.

heh :shrug: guess you gotta buy one of these doncha!

No noise out of this unit in the slightest. I've got 2x .65 A Panaflos on one channel and 3x .80 A Deltas on another in my case right now. Both are running as quiet as fans of their stature can at 42% (between five and six volts).

Likewise, when testing voltage regulation at 50% with the 4x .65 A Panaflos, all was well with no noise at all. That was outside a case too, so there's nothing that could have masked any sound if it were emanating from the controller.

What about memory? Does it retain settings between normal shut downs and/or power outage, as in a complete power loss?

Back