Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Thermalright Shaman Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 10:20 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

by MattNo5ss

Quote:

We have here a GPU cooler here which has the “world’s first” moniker attached to its resumé, the Thermalright Shaman. The eight heatpipes justify this moniker, and it has at least two more heatpipes than any other GPU air cooling solution out there. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve used my GTX 460 1 GB to test the Shaman against Prolimatech’s MK-13 and eVGA’s “External Exhaust” stock cooler. Today we take a closer look at the the heatsink itself and its performance.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by MattNo5ss; 02-15-13 at 02:24 PM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-10, 11:09 AM   #2
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Wow, that did better than I expected it to. I thought all those heatpipes would make it relatively restrictive, but even with the quiet ty140 it was able to produce some SERIOUS results. Nice testing and a great product!

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 02:23 AM   #3
MIAHALLEN

Great review Matt

The cooler is much better than I expected

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 07:57 PM   #4
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

I didn't even realize this was up yet since I've been outta town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
Wow, that did better than I expected it to. I thought all those heatpipes would make it relatively restrictive, but even with the quiet ty140 it was able to produce some SERIOUS results. Nice testing and a great product!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post
Great review Matt

The cooler is much better than I expected
Thanks guys! I was really impressed with the cooler as well. I just didn't think it would be THAT much better.

I've been working on finding my GTX460's max OC with this cooler and the TY-140, and so far I'm up to 950 on the core with 1.150v using eVGA OC Scanner to look for artifacts. Still have to OC the memory, and run more benches to see if it's really stable.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 08:02 PM   #5
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
I've been working on finding my GTX460's max OC with this cooler and the TY-140, and so far I'm up to 950 on the core with 1.150v using eVGA OC Scanner to look for artifacts. Still have to OC the memory, and run more benches to see if it's really stable.
oc scanner is furmark based isn't it? or am I thinking of something else? If it's furmark based you probably won't be able to find anything that'll crash it.

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 08:47 PM   #6
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

I'm not sure if it's FurMark based or not, it looks like it could be. OC Scanner doesn't stress as hard as FurMark, but it does find artifacts. Yeah, I've never had anything crash FurMark, but the display drivers reset if I've gone too high.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 09:10 PM   #7
TyrAntilles
Registered

Very nice cooler indeed, I would be interested to see how it works on a Radeon too, but if on GTX460 is that good, I have high expectations.

Congrats for the great review.

Desktop :: i5-750 @ 3.255 GHz / Scythe NINJA MINI / Gigabyte P55-UD3 / 8 GB KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX (CL8) / OCZ Agility 3 / 3 x WD1001FALS RAID 0 / Sapphire 4670 / Lian li PC-K7B / Fortron Blue Storm II 500 / Win 7 x64
TyrAntilles is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool