• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PREVIEW Thermalright Archon (+ D-14 & Megahalems) ...NO 56K...!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Preview of just arrived Thermaright Archon.

With the included TY-140 fan.

picture.php

Fins are soldered to the pipes nicely.

picture.php

HS base view, all pipes are tightly soldered to the base.

picture.php

The mysterious gaps, 1st I thought they're spreading the pipes contact points.

picture.php

Apparently those gaps are only at lowest 6 fins, looks like they're made for aiding the HS assembly process only, not for performance improvement, not sure though.

picture.php

Mirror finished base like other TR products started since VX.

picture.php

The standard accessories, fan included but not in this shot.

picture.php

Last edited:
The 120 mm sized Gentle Typhoon fan looks small compared to the HS.

picture.php

Two TY-120s configuration, the fan clips for two fans is provided.

picture.php

Latest batch of TY-140 that is came with Archon, it's cable is now sleeved with better material.
Left one is the newer version, there are date printed at the fan's label, also the newer fan blades color is slightly darker.

picture.php

Last edited:
Comparison shots with Noctua NH-D14 and Prolimatech Megahalems to give you the idea it's size.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Brief conclusion :

Its really tall and wide !

Better measure your mobo, ram etc and case clearance before ordering it !

Last edited:
Ongoing post.. I'm middle of doing it & made mistakes on shooting :bang head, will be back with other shots, stay tune ! :attn:

Metal .. metal ... everywhere !

Front : Archon , Middle : Megahalems , Rear : NH-D14

looks like the archon is a scaled up true huh?

looks like the archon is a scaled up true huh?

Yeah, it's cooling surface is 1.6 times larger than VX.

And performs better too (on par with SA). Just can't justify the price right now.. Way to expensive.

Though I haven't test it yet, yep, heard the same from the TR's representative, they claim its a hair better than their own SA with the same fan configuration.

Yeah, it's cooling surface is 1.6 times larger than VX.

Though I haven't test it yet, yep, heard the same from the TR's representative, they claim its a hair better than their own SA with the same fan configuration.

I saw a couple reviews for it, and it's often a tenth of a degree or so off the SA. Thing that has me worried is the size, aside from how thin it actually is (width + height).

Let us know how it turns out for ya. I'm tagging along for sure! :clap:

I'm curious to see the performance on this too. The thinness should help with clearing ram slots though, but the height of it might give problems.

I'm curious to see the performance on this too. The thinness should help with clearing ram slots though, but the height of it might give problems.

Yep. Seems they fixed one issue (ram clearance) but added potentially, two more issues as well.

The mysterious gaps, 1st I thought they're spreading the pipes contact points.

Apparently those gaps are only at lowest 6 fins, looks like they're made for aiding the HS assembly process only, not for performance improvement, not sure though.

From the looks of it I would agree, probably for clearance for the bend in the heat pipe since this wouldn't let the fin transfer heat from them.

Well I have a 360mm radiator for my CPU that keeps my temps at a nice 65c load at 65f ambient temps :). IMO the Noctua NH-D14 is the best and I don't care if a test says it's lower by 2c. Most Heat sink tests have a good 2-4c margin of error because of how well they are mounted and if they applied thermal paste correctly. Get three fans on a NH-D14 and you'll get Sub Zero temps. Heres how I use it. It is a good 2lbs+ but it hasn't caused any problems with Mobo pressure. Anyone see the point of water cooling anymore? With heatsinks like these, getting 4ghz has been easy and painless. I know water cooling is a WOW factor and is a cool hobby to do, but economically it's very insufficient. $100 heatsink to 4ghz or $350 loop to 4.5ghz. Video card realm seems like it pays it way a lot more with multi GPU setups, but water cooling a CPU, especially with a 360mm alone is overkill imo. I'm not discrediting water cooling as I'm very intrigued by it, but definitely the monetary aspect has shied me away.

Attachments

• DSC00553.jpg
    DSC00553.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,993
Yikes BT...

1. You cant get "Sub zero" or even sub ambient with Air cooling unless its sub zero ambient (Im hoping that was a typo).
2. The point of watercooling is two fold... A> to push the limits of your hardware farther than air. B> To push the limits of your hardware farther than air while being quieter.
3. Economically inefficient (not insufficient), I can agree with you there, seeing as how you have $100+ worth of hardware... But just note a Corsair H70 kit is on the heels of your setup for a few dollars more and likely a few db less.

The NH-D14 is a fine heatsink and one of the top choices for high end air. But, there are others out there in the same ballpark as it that are less massive and/or scale better with extreme cfm fans. Plus it has interference problems with tall heatspreaders on ram on a lot of boards. I have an NH-D14 that I am selling because of the fit issues between it and ram; rather my good old TRUE Rev. C because it has less ram interference issues and it also scales much better with extreme cfm fans. And most of my systems are on water because you can better cooling for less noise and it's my hobby anyways.:D

The Sub Zero statement was for dramatic affect. I know even water cooling can't go SUB Zero in normal conditions. I understand the Push to the limits as thats why extreme overclockers use LN2 and Dice but I'm talking at a 24/7 use stand point. Water does handle thermal load a lot better so you can run it quieter but still doesn't justify it's cost to performance ratio. As for the H70, the Noctua NH-D14 easily kills the H70, and doing so with fans rated a 19db. The H70's fans are rated 30+ db. Only thing useful of an H70 is memory and case clearance. I have no problems what so ever with Mobo stress and the worst thing that could happen is a fan breaking. On the H70, if the pump dies or some of the internal workings do (which it shouldn't), then I'd have to replace the whole thing.

You have your preferences, I have mine. Its just that simple. You are not benchmarking hardcore and dont seem to care about quiet too much with that setup, so water cooling is just not for you...but it does have many merits. You asked what the point was, I told ya! :)

As far as replacing the H70, good thing it has a warranty and your mobo can set thermal shut down points. ;)

EDIT: Also, last test I saw, the H70 kept up juuuuust fine with top of the line air...like I said. So I dont think the terms you happened to use 'easily kills' are accurate.

EDIT2: We are getting a bit off topic though, so I digress. :)

Last edited:
Back