[O/C] OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 09:44 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

[O/C] OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Review

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

Quote:
Today we'll be looking at the OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD, which will go head-to-head with the Patriot Inferno 100 GB. Will the Vertex 2 be able to extinguish the flaming Inferno? Read on to find out!
... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 10:55 AM   #2
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Nice write-up hokie!

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 11:21 AM   #3
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks!

For anyone that has already read this, I just updated it with one bench I forgot to include - BootTimer. Less than two hours after it was published I'm not too concerned that a lot of people will have missed it, but just so you know.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 11:32 AM   #4
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Another great review by hokie

I don't know how you find time to do all of these reviews. Just dedication I suppose.

I actually just bought a 50GB Vertex 2 today for $115, hope it performs as well.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 11:53 AM   #5
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

Another well written article!!!

Just note, even with its ATTO's Queue Depth 'limitation' OCZ does state to use that test to make sure you are getting the 'advertised' speeds. The other tests as Tony over there put it, are worst case scenarios.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 12:00 PM   #6
bing
Low Profile Senior

Thanks Hokie for the review !

Btw, if you had a chance, could you do raid 0 benchmark with both Vertex 2 and the Patriot Inferno, really interested at the result especially at that SB850 Southbridge.

bing is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 12:11 PM   #7
creecher

I'm not trying to rain on a parade here, but mine failed in 2 weeks. Trying again though!

i7 920 @ 4.3 GHZ 24/7
ASUS P6X58D Premium | GTX 770 4gb SLI
6gb (3x2) DOMINATOR GT 1600 7-7-7-20
HAF 932 w/ 8 R4's | 750-HX
Megahalem Shadow

'MY HEARTS BEATIN!! MY HANDS ARE SHAKEIN'!!! BUT IM STILL SHOOTIN!! IM STILL GETTIN KILLS LIKE BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!! BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!!' - Doug
creecher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 12:15 PM   #8
Marshmallow64

Good Review!

SSD: OCZ Vertex 120 GB | HD1: WD Black 640 GB | HD2: WD Black 2 TB
SC: Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty | PSU: Corsair HX 620 W
KB: Saitek Eclipse | MOUSE: Logitech MX 518
CASE: Antec 1200 | OS: Windows 7 x64
:: Laptop ::
MOD: Macbook Pro 13 2011 | CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 | OS: OS X Lion 10.7.2
Marshmallow64 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 12:16 PM   #9
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
I don't know how you find time to do all of these reviews. Just dedication I suppose.

I actually just bought a 50GB Vertex 2 today for $115, hope it performs as well.
It's fun. I just really enjoy seeing what hardware can do.

Congrats on the acquisition, if this is your first SSD, you're going to be amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
Another well written article!!!

Just note, even with its ATTO's Queue Depth 'limitation' OCZ does state to use that test to make sure you are getting the 'advertised' speeds. The other tests as Tony over there put it, are worst case scenarios.
Interesting comments about ATTO. It did quite well; they both did. The Inferno just out-did the Vertex 2 in that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Thanks Hokie for the review !

Btw, if you had a chance, could you do raid 0 benchmark with both Vertex 2 and the Patriot Inferno, really interested at the result especially at that SB850 Southbridge.
It's possible, but not with the reviews currently on my plate. We're talking next year before I can get to it; sorry it can't be sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creecher View Post
I'm not trying to rain on a parade here, but mine failed in 2 weeks. Trying again though!
Not raining on my parade for sure. This drive has been going strong for over a month now. Even after taking that beating of erase/pummel with random data/erase/pummel cycle it's purring along nicely.

Some failures are inevitable no matter how good the QC is. Hope your second drive treats you as well as this one has treated me so far!

To all - thanks for the kind words!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-10, 06:20 PM   #10
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

Very nicely written, hokie!

These drives just keep getting better. They are at last big enough to install the OS plus most major applications. I think when a drive of this size and performance gets down to $100 to $150, we'll really be in the sweet spot. (Wish I had the moola for one!)

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-03-10, 02:24 AM   #11
SeanOMatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creecher View Post
It happens.

I abuse the crap out of our SSD's and have yet to break one or have it go bad.

It can happen, though. Hence a 3 Year Warranty. Did you get in touch with our support department for an RMA?
SeanOMatic is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-10, 04:16 PM   #12
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

I got the same 120 reviewed. I think it's faster than my old Intel 40 GB, But I sure like the room 120 gives me.

Nice writeup, glad my purchase was validated.

Ohh, Newegg, $207 shipped after MIR.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-10, 06:05 PM   #13
RangerXLT8

Nice review man.

I installed this drive about a week ago and boy does it preform. Everything seems to be faster on terms of load time and general disk operation. Windows loads in like 2.2s lol/

ATI HD4870 512MB
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
2x150GB Raptors
1x320GB Western Digital HDD
LiteOn DVDRW
Heatware 44-0-0
RangerXLT8 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-10, 09:07 PM   #14
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8

Another excellent review Jeremy, your meticulousness attention to detail makes your reviews such a value added addition to this forums, I also like the hunourous bits that balance trhe technical threads.

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-05-10, 10:34 PM   #15
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks very much!

Old 12-10-10, 04:48 PM   #16
creecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOMatic View Post
It happens.

I abuse the crap out of our SSD's and have yet to break one or have it go bad.

It can happen, though. Hence a 3 Year Warranty. Did you get in touch with our support department for an RMA?
it got an RMA from newegg. got a new one in the mail this week, setting it up tonight!

i7 920 @ 4.3 GHZ 24/7
ASUS P6X58D Premium | GTX 770 4gb SLI
6gb (3x2) DOMINATOR GT 1600 7-7-7-20
HAF 932 w/ 8 R4's | 750-HX
Megahalem Shadow

'MY HEARTS BEATIN!! MY HANDS ARE SHAKEIN'!!! BUT IM STILL SHOOTIN!! IM STILL GETTIN KILLS LIKE BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!! BOOM! HEAD SHOT!!!' - Doug
creecher is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray