• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon HD6990 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Powerful card! The only concern I have is that 2 6970s are cheaper than buying one of these lol

$320 for a 6970

$700 for a 6990 (if you can find one for its retail lol more like $750-800)

:shrug:

Am I crazy...

Last edited:
Powerful card! The only concern I have is that 2 6970s are cheaper than buying one of these lol

$320 for a 6970

$700 for a 6990 (if you can find one for its retail lol more like $750-800)

:shrug:

Am I crazy...

Or two HD6950 flashed to HD6970 (or unlock shaders) for ~$275 each...

just got 2 of them dropped off by the UPS man....will update in a little bit.

I'm also planning on getting 2 of these or 2 590's, depending on benchmarks and reviews. I'll share my results paired with my new 2600k, but it wont be for a little while. Need to actually build the thing when nvidia releases and ocz puts out their vertex 3's.

I also want to be clear that's in reference to what I saw. I watched every bench at least one full pass, but on the repeat benches I was doing other things (like writing the before-results stuff on another PC in the room), so I didn't watch every single pass of every bench. What I saw though showed no abnormal stuttering.

Did ya get in any gameplay time? Any hitching there?

Unfortunately I don't game, I just bench (well, that is a game I suppose, but it's not exactly stable enough to 'game' in the traditional sense ;) ). That said, I did recently acquire Dragon Age II to benchmark with and will try to get at least a few minutes in to see what's up.

Now that I think about it, I did try the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo to see if it was worth benching (graphics options are disabled, so that answer is no) and in the meager minutes I was in there it was smooth as butter. Not one stutter, jump or anything else. Just what looks like a very good looking game.

At that price point, 2x GTX570's in SLi would be an appropriate (and probably superior) contender.

At that price point, 2x GTX570's in SLi would be an appropriate (and probably superior) contender.
Can't really argue there. I'm hoping it drops. History shows it should. Just to reiterate from the previous page:

Agreed here; there is very little bang for your buck until the price drops on these. What people will pay for here is going to be the best-of-the-best and to have it right when it is released. Or you need it for a small form factor where crossfire isn't an option, at which point airflow becomes a large concern.

I called it Overclockers Approved because it really is the fastest graphics card in the world and it clocks decently, even without voltage increase. If I were trying to be anywhere near frugal, I wouldn't be looking the direction of the 6990.

Thanks for your input G!

Oh, and AMD has shared a youtube video of us. Nothing new, just a couple AMD folks going over some of the card's features. Check it out here: Inside look: AMD Radeon HD 6990!

well just sold my 2 5970s £400 each nice price :):) with wc block on

just ordered 6690 should get it tomorrow :)

just tried to play wow on a en8400gs :( not good

still cant read review :(:(:(

can on lap top down stairs tho so off to read ty Hokie :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't game, I just bench (well, that is a game I suppose, but it's not exactly stable enough to 'game' in the traditional sense ;) ). That said, I did recently acquire Dragon Age II to benchmark with and will try to get at least a few minutes in to see what's up.

Now that I think about it, I did try the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo to see if it was worth benching (graphics options are disabled, so that answer is no) and in the meager minutes I was in there it was smooth as butter. Not one stutter, jump or anything else. Just what looks like a very good looking game.

WoW Hokie, I would not let that 6990 out of my sight till I played BFBC2, Singularity, Mass Effect 2, Blur, Far Cry 2, Crysis & Crysis 2, UT3 and Batman Arkham Asylum at least 1/2 hour each :D Benchmarking is a Blast but so is Gaming.
O and when the GTX 590 come available will you be reviewing it, I like your reviews, right to the point. TJ

Thanks for the compliment! Rest assured I'll be reviewing one if I can get my grubby hands on it. :)

Back