• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD is adding another card to round-out their 6700 series selection: the Radeon HD 6790. It is aimed performance/upper mid-range market and will be retailing for $149. It's supposed to lie between the 6850 and 5770/6770 in terms of performance and compete with the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550Ti. Including all of the features common to other 6700 series cards, like 16 render back-end units, this should offer a great 1080p gaming experience for consumers.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Would the GTX 460 be a better comparison/choice for the card?

I think AMD was aiming at the GTX 550 with this one. They have comparable prices. With any luck in the next couple of weeks we'll have a GTX 550 (or two ;) ) to compare.

Not sure how this ends up approved. It's soundly trounced by both the 460 and 6850 in the same price range.

The 550 is available on newegg right now for as little as $135 with no rebate involved, or $115 after a rebate. Closer to competing with the 5770 than the 6790.

The 6850 can be had for $165 before, $145 after rebate. The GTX 460 768MB is $150 before rebate, and as low as $115 after. Even the 460 1GB can be yours for $160 after rebate. All are faster than the 6970.

At $130 this would be a decent card and I wouldn't protest the 'recommended' badge. At $150, it's as lame as the 5830 and GTX 550 were at launch.

Seems this card is the very definition of meh, then.

ratings link said:
Better alternatives likely exist at a similar price, making the product difficult to recommend. It won’t set your PC on fire, but it’s just not as good as other products in the same market segment.

:shrug:

I suppose that just falls to the reviewer's opinion. $150 for a card that seems to overclock pretty well and perform decently around its price range. You, he and everyone else are certainly welcome to their own opinions. If we were all the same the world would be a boring place. :thup:

I agree the 460 is a great card, but the 6790 isn't aimed to compete with it. If you can find a great deal on a 460, and you think it performs better than the 6790 for your purposes, then awesome.

I still stand by approving the card, because of exactly what i stated in my conclusion: the card overclocks well, its a decent price, and it does well against its competition.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see the competition as being cards in the same price bracket. 6850 and 460 both qualify and are both faster :shrug:

Part of the problem is they're releasing too many cards too close together (both companies IMHO). There is a price difference between the two; the 6850's on newegg range from $165 to $195. I'm sure these will have MIR's too at some point, so those prices don't reflect that. It will depend on whether the person wants to pay the extra $15 for the increased performance. They are two silly close price brackets, but distinct nonetheless in the manufacturers' eyes.

right, the 6850 is faster and more expensive...as it should be.

Back