Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

Exposing Fake Antivirus Programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 09:26 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Exposing Fake Antivirus Programs

Quote:
The most pervasive Malware trend I’ve noticed lately is the proclivity for bad software to masquerade as though its antivirus software. These prompt you to confirm the popup messages in order to protect your PC, while in fact doing so will give you the very infection you were hoping to avoid.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 04-07-11 at 09:43 AM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-11, 09:52 AM   #2
terran2k

yeah, I'd say about every personal computer i've fixed for malware infections have those fake AVs.

INTEL E5-2603
terran2k is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-11, 11:44 AM   #3
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

I am so glad I don't make a living out of fixing other people's computers... I do however get the occasional frantic call from a friend that has found him/herself in a "malware pickle". I am not a patient guy by any definition of the word and most times I will help them out while at the same time showing them that all those infections can be easily attributed to an "I-D-10-T" error. They're not too happy once they figure out what "it" means, but if you have to click through four confirmation messages to get a virus and still can't be bothered to read before you click; I think being called and idiot is the least you can expect when having your PC cleaned for the third time.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-11, 12:12 PM   #4
G33K454URU5 R3X

The problem is that virus creators are getting more tricky; explotied PDF's, clickjacking, SQL injection, search poisoning...at one time, it was very easy to blame the user (and still is, to some extent - think Limewire) - however, the way some of this malicious content is being delivered is becoming increasingly tactful.

EVGA GTX 570

If you are thinking about getting certified in a field of IT, please make sure you aren't using a braindump website. It discredits the certification, and makes those who worked hard for their knowledge less credible as well.

"No braindumps. No stolen exams. No excuses."

Current studies: GCIH, GREM
G33K454URU5 R3X is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-11, 01:16 PM   #5
SteveLord

Last week I cleaned this off a computer at work. And a laptop that was loaned to someone was hit as well. Had a recent image of that one though.

Been fighting these for years...

Old 04-07-11, 01:27 PM   #6
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

A giant +1. Great article!

We are currently figthing a virus outbreak at my office. 450 PC's were infected with Worm:Win32/Rorpian.A, and no a conficker, and something else. Although this is only affecting print servers at the moment and causing reboots, its a lot of lost productivity.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-07-11, 01:30 PM   #7
madhatter256
Special Member ★

I've been dealing with these for almost 2 years now.

I had one customer who fell for one and paid for it, however, each time they put their credit card number, the program would say the number is not valid and ask for another one. The customer was gullible enough to try 3 other cards and they all said the same thing and this made him bring the PC over to me to try and fix it. After he told me what he did I told him to immediately cancel those credit cards as it obviously just took as many card numbers as much as possible.

Some programs do go away after you pay for them, but then come back a month later with the same problem. Throughout that time it just spies on you and logs your key strokes.

Really nasty ones will inject rootkits into MBR and OS systems (or something like that). I had this one PC where I did do a format/reinstall of the OS. I just did a quick format, not a low-level one via KillDisk. After installing the drivers and going to Windows Update, this pop-up came up that I needed virus protection and all I've installed were drivers, nothing else. So, obviously there was something left over even after doing the format that allowed it to detect the internet connection and reinstall itself.

Lately, I've had great success with live-CDs of Linux, especially BitDefender Rescue CD. Afterwards I would run Malwarebytes/combofix to clean up whatever bitdefender didn't find and it all works out in the end.

Old 04-07-11, 01:32 PM   #8
madhatter256
Special Member ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33K454URU5 R3X View Post
The problem is that virus creators are getting more tricky; explotied PDF's, clickjacking, SQL injection, search poisoning...at one time, it was very easy to blame the user (and still is, to some extent - think Limewire) - however, the way some of this malicious content is being delivered is becoming increasingly tactful.
This is true as I have had church ladies get infected and they barely use the Internet (some still on dial-up) and don't allow anyone else on it, but they were browsing some church site when the "pop-up" came up. So even legit sites can get overtaken with malware and spread it.

Firefox + noscript really does help, but is too advanced for the average PC user.

Old 04-16-11, 12:18 AM   #9
x509

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
This is true as I have had church ladies get infected and they barely use the Internet (some still on dial-up) and don't allow anyone else on it, but they were browsing some church site when the "pop-up" came up. So even legit sites can get overtaken with malware and spread it.

Firefox + noscript really does help, but is too advanced for the average PC user.
I tried out noscript for a while, but it's a real hassle to work with, since legit sites all depend on scripts also. And how do you really know that any given script is bogus?
x509 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-16-11, 10:11 PM   #10
madhatter256
Special Member ★

I disable it when I'm on legit sites, like yahoo, google, and my bank site, as well as newegg, but when i surf everywhere else, i turn it on. I just don't let it load ad servers.

Old 04-17-11, 08:27 AM   #11
Daemonkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
I am so glad I don't make a living out of fixing other people's computers... I do however get the occasional frantic call from a friend that has found him/herself in a "malware pickle". I am not a patient guy by any definition of the word and most times I will help them out while at the same time showing them that all those infections can be easily attributed to an "I-D-10-T" error. They're not too happy once they figure out what "it" means, but if you have to click through four confirmation messages to get a virus and still can't be bothered to read before you click; I think being called and idiot is the least you can expect when having your PC cleaned for the third time.
Seems always to be that error or a PEBKAC error. Always the worst ones.
Daemonkin is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications