Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Lamptron FC8 Fan Controller Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 07:27 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Lamptron FC8 Fan Controller Review

Quote:
When we last looked at a Lamptron fan controller, it was their flagship/bling model the Lamptron Touch. They've gone the brute force route this time and sent us their new powerhouse, the Lamptron FC8 fan controller.
... Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 03:41 PM   #2
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

This looks more like the kind of fan controller I would want in my build. Something more basic and without all the fancy LCD readouts and such. Just a good, solid, good looking, high wattage fan controller.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 03:43 PM   #3
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Yeah, this thing is a beast. Simple and powerful, I like it

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (97-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 03:49 PM   #4
pwnmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
This looks more like the kind of fan controller I would want in my build. Something more basic and without all the fancy LCD readouts and such. Just a good, solid, good looking, high wattage fan controller.
Indeed, most of the time the temp readings on the lcd units are so inaccurate. Mostly for aesthetics no functionality. I would give up a high end touch screen controller @5w/channel for a simple 10w/channel controller any day.

OP: Nice review!

XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
Custom Maple Gaming Case
pwnmachine is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 03:53 PM   #5
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

Nice review Hokie! Simple, Powerful, product.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 04:28 PM   #6
kskwerl

Nice review, been looking for a beast fan controller.

Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB @ 1600
HD: Crucial M4 64GB (OS) | 300GB WD Raptor
Video Card: XFX HD 4870 (for now)
PSU: Corsair HX850
kskwerl is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-31-11, 05:22 PM   #7
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Thanks for the kind words all!
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-11, 10:10 AM   #8
bcsizemo
Registered

It does look nice. I really like the PWM setup vs.the old resistance based stuff. I'm not sure the solid cap stuff is as needed as say on a motherboard, but for a few extra cents it's nice to see. I'd also be interested in the make/model of the transistors used for the switching, but it's also a nice touch they have diodes for spike protection (should help the life span a decent bit).

All in all it might be one of the few fan controllers I'd be willing to invest in.

Last edited by bcsizemo; 06-05-11 at 08:00 PM.
bcsizemo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-11, 10:58 AM   #9
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Not sure what he'd be able to gather, but I'll bring that to the attention of Spawne32, our resident lamptron rep, and see if he can find out.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-08-11, 01:37 PM   #10
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsizemo View Post
It does look nice. I really like the PWM setup vs.the old resistance based stuff. I'm not sure the solid cap stuff is as needed as say on a motherboard, but for a few extra cents it's nice to see. I'd also be interested in the make/model of the transistors used for the switching, but it's also a nice touch they have diodes for spike protection (should help the life span a decent bit).

All in all it might be one of the few fan controllers I'd be willing to invest in.
Unfortunately, nobody outside of the inner workings of the company knows what brand parts they use, all the serial numbers and brands are removed from the parts during production to prevent theft of the design.

Old 07-31-11, 10:48 PM   #11
frank anderson
Registered

Power Output:Up to 30 watts per channel

That is some uber "pwn-age" there
frank anderson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-01-11, 02:48 AM   #12
deadlysyn
Folding Team Content Editor
Who Dolk'd my stars Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank anderson View Post
Power Output:Up to 30 watts per channel

That is some uber "pwn-age" there
If memory serves me correctly, when the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme came around, it was also rated at 30W per channel. I do have to say the 2 extra channels and the fact that the LED colors can be changed in a much easier fashion than the Rheobus seem to give this one the upper hand. Too bad this wasn't around when I modded my Rheobus 4.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, Q9550@3.5, 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066, Corsair Force F60, 300 GB Maxtor SATAII, EVGA GTX460 v2
Laing D5 Vario, D-Tek Fuzion V1, Swiftech MCW60, Swiftech MCRES V2, HWLabs BIX3, 3 Panaflo FBA12G12U's on Rheobus, Primochill LRT black, Antec 900

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Athlon II X3 445, TRU120, 4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600, 8800GTS 320MB, 320 GB Maxtor Sata, SB Audigy SE
HEAT - My Folding Stats
Would you like to see your writing on the front page? Ask me how!

Last edited by m0r7if3r on 1-23-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: I haz uber 1337 h4x0rz 5k1llz
deadlysyn is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool