• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Overclockers.com Benching Party II: Philadelphia, PA - June 17-19, 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dan and Nick got fan controllers, Torin got a case, Evan got the CPU cooler, and I walked away with the PSU after a trade :)

yeah we were all benching too much and forgot to run contests...or set up something to draw randomly. So the prizes went to whoever raised their hands first.

I walked away with these

mixtures-nuts-deluxe-rs.jpg

At least you had a chance to walk away with your nuts!

Me, I left my shirt I was in such a hurry in the morning!

Would be nice to have some consolation fro my dead M4A89GTD Pro, 980, 975, and 965.

Somehow my n00b-self managed not to kill anything except my dignity. When can we do this again?

Matt

I assume something shorted, which doesn't totally make sense since conformal is non-conductive, but needless to say there is no longer video output and the fan just spins at 100% all the time. :(

Edit: Card doesn't even show up in device manager when installed as a secondary. :rain:

Last edited:
I have seen countless people think that conformal is the best form of insulation. I've also seen numerous times when people have moisture related issues when their boards are conformaled.

I'm not sure why that is, but I can't help but think that conformal doesn't create as good of a solid consistent seal from moisture as we might imagine. I think the problem comes from hoping a light conformal spray can be used, then RMA isn't a problem - I think the first priority with insulation has to be ensuring you don't get moisture where you don't want it.

Really though, this is just another chance for me to promote my vaseline fetish. If you have vaseline caked generously around anything you don't want wet, its hard to go wrong! (I might be wrong, but I've been under LN2 maybe a dozen times or so, and haven't killed anything other than that 980 at the party so far - that was volts tho)

That's why when I spray conformal I put a nice thicker-than-necessary coat on. Odds are greater that they will take an RMA with a thin coat vs. a thicker coat, but there isn't any guarantee about them accepting your RMA with any amount of conformal on it so might as well protect your card upfront, or go the liquid tape route so it's removable :D

I spray till there's a pool, then I tilt the card/board to walk the pool around over/under things. So far, no issues :D

What I learned from Nick is that LET may be the best way to go, especially with a thick-coat so you can peel it off later. Any reason not to do that?

You know you shouldn't be RMA'ing stuff you ln2 anyway.....

I think I had less problems with eraser than conformal.

What I learned from Nick is that LET may be the best way to go, especially with a thick-coat so you can peel it off later. Any reason not to do that?

Nope. Its one of the "approved" methods.

I have seen countless people think that conformal is the best form of insulation. I've also seen numerous times when people have moisture related issues when their boards are conformaled.

I'm not sure why that is, but I can't help but think that conformal doesn't create as good of a solid consistent seal from moisture as we might imagine. I think the problem comes from hoping a light conformal spray can be used, then RMA isn't a problem - I think the first priority with insulation has to be ensuring you don't get moisture where you don't want it.

Really though, this is just another chance for me to promote my vaseline fetish. If you have vaseline caked generously around anything you don't want wet, its hard to go wrong! (I might be wrong, but I've been under LN2 maybe a dozen times or so, and haven't killed anything other than that 980 at the party so far - that was volts tho)

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but the reason I thought conformal would help my board is a) I've diced this card before and b) silicon conformal is non-conductive. If it were conductive, we wouldn't spray it on electronics. I'm not quite understanding what even happened to my card. There are no burnt sights or smells, and I doubt anything got shorted anyway because conformal covered all the traces. I made sure to put more than "a thin coat" on my card. Also, I'm 100% sure it was not moisture because the card died within 3 minutes of running. The pot hadn't even been pulled down yet. You show me a pot that can form moisture in less than three minutes at -5*C and I'll show you a card that died from moisture damage. :blah:

Back