AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 01:26 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard Review

Quote:
Today we look at ASUS' top of the line AMD board, the Crosshair V Formula. The Formula houses AMD's newest chipset, the 990FX northbridge and SB950 southbridge.
... Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 08-24-11, 10:54 AM   #2
Fragment85

Thanks a ton for this. I've been wanting one for a month or so now. As we are expecting our next child any day now. Im hording as much money as I can. But in a few weeks I just may be getting this. By far the most impressive review I've read. I would be upgrading from a 770 board to this, so quite a jump in hardware.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Fragment85; 08-24-11 at 12:36 PM.
Fragment85 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-11, 12:08 PM   #3
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Thanks for the kind words, very glad it helped!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-11, 08:30 PM   #4
bassnut

Yes very nice review and I will have to take another closer look at it when I ahve a bit more free time. WELL DONE

FX8350 @ 4900 MHZ - ASUS CROSSHAIR V z - 2 X ASUS GTX560Ti448DC2 SLI
Seasonic X850 - 8Gb GSKILLF3-2400C10D-8GTX (1840) @9-9-9-24 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Cooler Master Cosmos II
Koolance CPU-370SA - Black IceŽ GTS Gen Two Stealth 240 - Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 280
bassnut is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-11, 08:45 PM   #5
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks! Not resting on my laurels either. A UD7 just showed up today so we'll have a top dog head to head when I get done with it.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-29-11, 05:25 PM   #6
Robert17

Xhair V

Nice work. It is truly appreciated.

NZXT Phantom Black||fans 1x140, 5x120, 1x200||Asus VN247H-P||Win7 Pro 64-bit
Folding User Stats

In memory of Adak
Robert17 is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-29-11, 06:46 PM   #7
66racer
Registered

Loved the review!
66racer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-11, 09:58 AM   #8
madbrayniak
Registered

if you would not mind i thought it may be helpful to add to this that there are a number of people who have had problems with this board where the red DRAM led lights up and stays lit up and I could not get my computer to POST at all. I tried different kinds of Memory in all the different slots with only one and two channels plugged in. Still, the board would not POST. I logged on to asusrog.com and found quite a few others with the same problem and the only suggestion made is that the ram wasnt under the recommended list....but mine was it was one of the Kingston hyperx accepted ram sticks.

Last time I checked there were still people having problems with this and there has not been any solution given.

I eventually RMA'd my board to get one from another manufacturer.

If this post is not wanted here then please delete it. I just thought it would be helpful information to anyone who is looking at buying this board.

8GB Kingston HyperX Genisis
PNY GTX 560 Ti ( wanting 1 more for SLI)
Thermaltake 775W psu
250GB 6gb/s HDD (soon to add hyperx ssd)
Zalman CPU cooler

planning to build a case from scratch specifically for cooling with only 4 HDD slots and 1-2 5.25 bays. Aluminum frame with acrylic panels...
madbrayniak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-11, 10:14 AM   #9
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Input is certainly welcome. I'll bring your post to ASUS' attention and ask if there are any known issues.

Did your RMA'ed board function properly?

EDIT - Can you link to your issue and similar issues at the RoG forums? I'd like to be thorough if I do email them.

Old 08-31-11, 12:57 PM   #10
madbrayniak
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Input is certainly welcome. I'll bring your post to ASUS' attention and ask if there are any known issues.

Did your RMA'ed board function properly?

EDIT - Can you link to your issue and similar issues at the RoG forums? I'd like to be thorough if I do email them.
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...-will-not-POST

that is the main thread, i would try and find the other sites and threads where others have stated the same problem but im at work and dont want to get in trouble. Raja(the moderator) says that he has informed ASUS of the problem and that they were working on a solution.

I am not sure what you mean by my board functioning properly because i could never get mine to POST and had the DRAM light up. however everything else did power up, the fans ran, the cd drive had power and would open and close and my cpu fan would spin when turned on....

Thermaltake 775W psu
Zalman CPU cooler

planning to build a case from scratch specifically for cooling with only 4 HDD slots and 1-2 5.25 bays. Aluminum frame with acrylic panels...
Old 08-31-11, 01:18 PM   #11
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

I mean the replacement board you received; did it function properly? Or did you RMA to the vendor and get that UD7 in your sig?

I won't bother my contact about it then; if Raja notified them, they know.

Old 08-31-11, 01:52 PM   #12
madbrayniak
Registered

Quote:
I mean the replacement board you received; did it function properly? Or did you RMA to the vendor and get that UD7 in your sig?

I won't bother my contact about it then; if Raja notified them, they know.
I just got the UD7 when it was RMA'd to newegg. I figured that i did not want to risk having another board not working properly and for $10 more i could go ahead and have the ability for 4way SLI in the future but mainly because i want to add an OCZ revodrive SSD and still have plenty of room for SLI.

.....and i dont mind not having UEFI as BIOS is simple enough

Thermaltake 775W psu
Zalman CPU cooler

Old 08-31-11, 02:05 PM   #13
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

I'm reviewing the UD7 now. Good, solid board. It's a very tough decision between the two. Likely a tie all told, depending on what feature set you need. They're similar, but different such that they offer significant enough differences to meet the needs of two distinct audiences.

Better stop before I preemptively write my own conclusion.

Old 08-31-11, 02:49 PM   #14
madbrayniak
Registered

Quote:
I'm reviewing the UD7 now. Good, solid board. It's a very tough decision between the two. Likely a tie all told, depending on what feature set you need. They're similar, but different such that they offer significant enough differences to meet the needs of two distinct audiences.

Better stop before I preemptively write my own conclusion.
haha, yea i can say that I am very happy with it so far. I have the cpu OC to 4ghz so far but the few times i have tried to OC the NB i have had some problems so I need to work on that some more. However, that will have to wait longer as I am headed to Vegas tomorrow morning. I suspec that I may have to decrease the cpu to 3.8 or 3.9 to get the NB between 2600-2800

Thermaltake 775W psu
Zalman CPU cooler

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards