Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

AMD and Intel Buyer's Guide 8/2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 08:30 AM   #21
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.21 jigawatts View Post
Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.
No... its not paid advertising and I passionately disagree with that assertion. The parts picked were quality parts for the price. As a matter of fact, the linking of the products to our reviews wasnt even suggested until this article was about to be published.

Well, like I have mentioned ad nauseum already in the thread and once or twice in the actual article, everyone will build a system differently for their needs. I understand your point, and value your input. Thanks, again, for voicing it.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-01-11, 08:30 AM   #22
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Quote:
Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.
What part of the conclusion Earthdog quoted is difficult to understand? Others' choices might not be their choices. It's ok, really. There are so many components available there is no way to satisfy everyone in a reasonably sized article, not to mention one that takes a reasonable amount of time to write.

Your post above is tantamount to trolling and is not appreciated. No one that writes for the front page gets paid for anything they write and definitely not for this article. They aren't sticking to anything out of sync with their build purposes. "Everyone’s needs will vary!" I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but if it's your intent, we're not going to edit the article because your needs differ from what they were going for.

EDIT - Just to be clear, your assertion is absolutely absurd. They recommend memory from G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin and Kingston. Four different manufacturers wouldn't pay to be mentioned in a catch-all buyer's guide.

EDIT II - In eight suggested builds, the PSUs were from three different manufacturers, video cards from four, CPU coolers from three, MB's split between two, cases from three.... you get the point. Think before you post something like that next time please.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 09-01-11 at 08:44 AM.
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
EarthDog (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 11:58 AM   #23
accessoriesguy

I thought they were great buyers guides, what sucks is that prices change constantly, one of these every 2 months would probably be awesome to have.

Mostly when building its all about budget, which i like how that's how you guys start the different categories, the builds are good, especially for the price, due to my preferences i would make some minor changes, and probably some couple bucks upgrades. You guys give a great starting point however, and something for a new builder to get their hands on, that don't yet know much about parts to know what to get. great job!
accessoriesguy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-01-11, 02:30 PM   #24
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

Nice job. Short and to the point. People underestimate buying a quality case. I spent close to $200 on an antec case eleven years ago that I still use every day. It came with a 520w psu, but that died 6 years ago. If you spend money on a good case you may never have to buy another one.

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-11, 03:38 AM   #25
1.21 jigawatts
Disabled

That case and power supply for the lowest end system is like recommending rims to someone looking to get a car for transportation on a budget.
1.21 jigawatts is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-11, 07:30 AM   #26
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Quote:
That case and power supply for the lowest end system is like recommending rims to someone looking to get a car for transportation on a budget.
Keeping with the car analogy, recommending an Antec 430W Earthwatts Green for a system running a GTX560Ti is like recommending someone get a 100W amp to power four 12" subs. See? We all have differing opinions. Theirs is different than yours. It's time you accept that and move on.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-11, 08:40 AM   #27
1.21 jigawatts
Disabled

Old 09-03-11, 12:31 PM   #28
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Gotta disagree with this one. The green earthwatts is not exactly a high end Psu. I wouldn't go much lower and put my name on it as reccomended. It will do. One for that budget build, even overclocking. But you note that they did get better as the budget allows.

For the second time, we are shopping at newegg.. new--warranty...etc

Again.. everyone will pick differently.
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-03-11, 11:23 PM   #29
1.21 jigawatts
Disabled

Irrelevant to the point, $110 is being suggested on a case & power supply for a $650 system. There's not a justification to sticking to it other than, "everyone has their opinion." I do too, which I'm able to back with reason. Even when confined to just newegg, there are a selection of $30-50 cases with good ratings, matched with a $40-50 80plus 500-600w power supply(managed to find a better deal than the one on ebay if you can stomach a mir, $40 for a 600w 80plus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194087,) is more than a little better and cheaper deal than the $110 suggestion. That leaves $40 more that can go towards something that will actually boost the computing experience, which people are trying to maximize within their budget, instead of just having a more gussied up plastic and metal box.

Last edited by 1.21 jigawatts; 09-03-11 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 11:41 PM   #30
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

We all get it. Your opinion is different. I don't think I was clear enough earlier when I said move on. Quit trolling this thread. I really don't wish to make it more clear than that, but will if necessary.

Old 09-04-11, 10:11 AM   #31
David
Forums Super Moderator

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

I'd like to add: often these builds may provide a foundation for further upgrades, and so having a solid case and PSU provides a good foundation for upgrading other components - such as CPU, graphics, and memory - at a later date. They're not necessarily a "finished" system.

The builds are always tweakable, and if people have questions feel free to start a thread - use a build from here as a base and then it's straightforward to discuss your needs and suggest amendments to the 'base' build.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-11, 08:28 AM   #32
Deathhorse

wow when did the antec three hundred go up to $90 i bought mine for 50

great post gives alot of good direction

steam:bluedood
Dont take the classies for granted
Deathhorse is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.