Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

MSI Calls Gigabyte's PCIe Gen3 Support "Fake"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 11:12 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

MSI Calls Gigabyte's PCIe Gen3 Support "Fake"

Quote:
OH SNAP! Dennis Achterberg with MSI's Product Marketing is calling out Gigabyte on their claim that all of the Gigabyte 6 series boardssupport native PCIe Gen3...
Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 09-09-11, 11:26 PM   #2
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

MSI seems to have pulled the files from the website. Guess they didn't want this to get out! Oops!

I don't think Gigabyte will like being called out like this.,

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 12:58 AM   #3
cabanaboy38

If it is true I'm glad that MSI called them out.
cabanaboy38 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 01:53 AM   #4
SuperDave1685

10 Year Badge

Very interesting. Surprising to see MSI get so specific with the part numbers on those PCI-# 3.0 chips. However, I don't quite follow their logic on the BIOS slide. What does the F5 BIOS have to do with anything?

*Main Rig-*i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz (1.17v), ASUS Rampage II Extreme, 12 GB Patriot DDR3 1600, ATI HD5970 @ 775/1100, SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, OCZ Revo X2 Drive SSD, 500GB, 1TB SATA, PCP&C Silencer 750W , D5 pump, Thermochill PA 120.3 w/ 3 Yate Loon Mediums, Swiftech Apogee XT, Lian-Li PC-G75, ASUS VW226H 25.5", Logitech Z-5300e THX 5.1 Speakers

My Massive PC Cleaning Thread!

Heatware |
If the Army and the Navy Ever look on Heaven's scenes, They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines. OoRah!
SuperDave1685 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 05:00 AM   #5
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Interesting... I can't help but feel that there must be more to this ...

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 06:39 AM   #6
Knufire

As long as the board supports Ivy Bridge, does PCIe 3.0 matter to most people?

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 09:57 AM   #7
Archer0915
"The Expert"

I see they have something about Intel specifications. As far as PCIe Intel can say all they want but the fact is PCI-sig sets the standard not Intel alone. From the article I would say MSi is confused because they don't even know where the spec comes from.

I am not saying that those specs are not correct just that calling it Intel Gen3 specification is wrong and those specs may differ.

EDIT: http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/pcie3.0_faq/#EQ1 Some information.

EDIT 2: http://www.pcisig.com/developers/mai...8ce09ce7d9479a

EDIT 3: Pericom is not the only manufacturer of the signal conditioning retimer chips (the chip that is highlighted). I really don't want to pull my GB board to see exactly what chip is used but IDT also makes the chips. Hell I am curious though.

Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - In flux

Last edited by Archer0915; 09-10-11 at 01:40 PM.
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 02:22 PM   #8
neliz

The article hasn't been pulled, the URL has been copy-pasted wrong:

Correct URL: http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_vie...2_itemId=68762

[QUOTE=Archer0915;6954455]I see they have something about Intel specifications. As far as PCIe Intel can say all they want but the fact is PCI-sig sets the standard not Intel alone. From the article I would say MSi is confused because they don't even know where the spec comes from.

I am not saying that those specs are not correct just that calling it Intel Gen3 specification is wrong and those specs may differ.
[/url]

We know very well where the specs are coming from, but before claiming "Gen3 enabled" on your products, you must first pass verification from Intel for its future 22nm CPUs.

If it was written in text on the slide it would say something like: "Intel requires a certain number of components before a mainboard can comply with the PCI express Gen3 standard, here is what Intel needs for socket 1155 boards"

That's also the factual basis on which we can claim that other boards will not comply since they simple don't meet the specs&requirements .
neliz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 02:30 PM   #9
Archer0915
"The Expert"

I have some gen 2 chips on my board (I checked). I am looking at the sig information but there again this could have simply been a marketing move by GB because the sig is so stringent on backward compatability. I think all boards with PCIe X.X will support a native 3.0 card just not at 3.0 speeds.

Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
Test Bed - In flux
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 02:46 PM   #10
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliz View Post

Perfect. I've got a copy in case someone wants it and it disappears.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 02:52 PM   #11
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:

We know very well where the specs are coming from, but before claiming "Gen3 enabled" on your products, you must first pass verification from Intel for its future 22nm CPUs.

If it was written in text on the slide it would say something like: "Intel requires a certain number of components before a mainboard can comply with the PCI express Gen3 standard, here is what Intel needs for socket 1155 boards"

That's also the factual basis on which we can claim that other boards will not comply since they simple don't meet the specs&requirements .
But there are two completely diffrent things going on here.

Are the GB boards capable of supporting a Gen3 card? Well they should but only at gen 2 speeds. So yes they have gen 3 native support. They may not have the gen 3 speeds though.

I have one of those boards and I bought it before the announcement of native gen 3 support but if I had bought it because I thought it had the support I would be peed.

I dont call it fraud but there is a marketing issue here and I expect they will be getting some boards back. I also do my own investigating and reach my own conclusions. I dont really see MSi as being anything but truthful at this point.

EDIT: Are you saying that even if they perform at gen 3 speeds and meet all of the SIG requirments it is not gen 3 because Intel does not say so? Perhaps I should say it can not be 3.0 because "Intel requires a certain number of components before a mainboard can comply with the PCI express Gen3 standard, here is what Intel needs for socket 1155 boards"? The SIG is not Intel. The Sig sets the standards not Intel or MSi. Are they in full compliance with the 3.0 standard for all ports? It does not look like it at this point.

That is a matter of semantics though because to me it is not 3.0 if it does not support the speeds.
So you must work for msi then

Test Bed - In flux

Last edited by Archer0915; 09-10-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 03:02 PM   #12
Bobnova

It's dubious marketing on both sides, really.
MSI as they don't mention that gbt's first 8x really will (most likely) work at full PCIe3.0), gigabyte for claiming full compliance.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 03:27 PM   #13
neliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
It's dubious marketing on both sides, really.
MSI as they don't mention that gbt's first 8x really will (most likely) work at full PCIe3.0), gigabyte for claiming full compliance.
Since x8 Gen3 has less bandwidth than x16 Gen2, in most (if not all) situations it will stay at x16 Gen2.
At least tested on boards using Gen2 switches, the CPU will stay in Gen2 mode (and then there's those cases it will fall back to Gen1 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
EDIT: Are you saying that even if they perform at gen 3 speeds and meet all of the SIG requirments it is not gen 3 because Intel does not say so? Perhaps I should say it can not be 3.0 because "Intel requires a certain number of components before a mainboard can comply with the PCI express Gen3 standard, here is what Intel needs for socket 1155 boards"? The SIG is not Intel. The Sig sets the standards not Intel or MSi.
Long story short SIG controls all requirements there, no doubt about it. Intel sets the requirements for running Gen3 on their 1155 boards.
We specially adjusted our (G3) boards to comply with Intel's requirements for Gen3 support.

Quote:
Are they in full compliance with the 3.0 standard for all ports? It does not look like it at this point.
Who? what ports etc?[/quote]

Quote:
So you must work for msi then
I guess so and thanks.

Last edited by neliz; 09-10-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 03:33 PM   #14
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Neliz, you are a part of MSI, correct?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-10-11, 03:36 PM   #15
neliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
Neliz, you are a part of MSI, correct?
According to this article, I'm "MSI Man"

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/9/9/msi-...e-gen3-boards/
(not sure if that's Title worthy)
Thanks!
EarthDog (09-10-11)
Old 09-10-11, 03:38 PM   #16
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Who? what ports etc?

GB PCIe ports/slots.

I am personally looking forward to the much needed 3.0 spec. With all the lane sharing and switching and potential bottle necks for some of us who use more than the x16 slot and are rather heavy on the SATA and USB use.

Test Bed - In flux
Old 09-10-11, 04:30 PM   #17
neliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
GB PCIe ports/slots.
Right now, from what I can gather from both the evidence and technical descriptions, no they don't except for the G1.sniper2

Quote:
I am personally looking forward to the much needed 3.0 spec. With all the lane sharing and switching and potential bottle necks for some of us who use more than the x16 slot and are rather heavy on the SATA and USB use.
Yeah, the first (and most unexpected) performance benefits came for PCI Express based SSD controllers like the Photofast PowerDrive LSI which increased read/write performance by about 10%
Mind you that is a current PCIe2.0 card on our Gen3 boards.

Also plenty of GPGPU applications are going to benefit as bandwidth in the scientific world though today's games are built on the restraints of current tech. The only game engine that seems to scale well with bandwidth is the Id engines used in games like the Call of Duty series.

I'm really looking forward to benching the new games and see how they respond
Old 09-14-11, 10:52 PM   #18
bing
Low Profile Senior

Just heard from our local gigabyte's representative that GB HQ is planning to launch a legal action soon.

bing is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-15-11, 12:57 AM   #19
neliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Just heard from our local gigabyte's representative that GB HQ is planning to launch a legal action soon.
http://it.oc.com.tw/ocitview.asp?gitid=1861314
Old 09-15-11, 02:32 AM   #20
bing
Low Profile Senior

Rather than us going through the head-ache using google translation, why not help us what is that all about ?

Just the summary.

bing is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards