Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards
Forum Jump

Gigabyte Attempts to Debunk MSI's Gen3 Claims

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 11:27 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Gigabyte Attempts to Debunk MSI's Gen3 Claims

Gigabyte and MSI are at it again...this time Gigabyte fires back at MSI on their claims that Gigabyte boards aren't really ready for native PCIe Gen3. Just like MSI, Gigabyte's presentation slides are technical in nature, and focus on the key components that require a board to be PCIe Gen3 ready. Let's take a look at the slides... ... Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 09-21-11, 10:03 PM   #2
mas5acre

I think the better question, is "who cares"? There isn't a card out there that is bottlenecked by an pcie x16 gen 2 slot. It was also proven an x8 pcie slot vs. an x16 pcie slot affected performance by less than 3%. All this mumbo jumbo is for people who buy sata 3 hdds. Its not like this is an AGP vs. PCIE question in the days long past. By the time there is a signifcant (more than 3-5%) bottleneck caused by pcie 2.0, the system will probably need a new cpu and mobo anyway cause those parts would also be the bottleneck.

Evga x58 sli LE motherboard
3 x 1.5 TB drives
1 x super talent ultradrive ME ssd
TRUE Copper Cpu cooler
MSI radeon 5870
XFX 9800 ECO for physx
Xonar Essence STX soundcard
Enermax Revolutions85+ 1050w

Last edited by mas5acre; 09-21-11 at 10:25 PM.
mas5acre is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-11, 12:39 AM   #3
Jmtyra
Premium Member #21

You might have a point, but there are many system builders out there that don't know better, such as your example about 6 Gbit/s SATA HDs. Overall, it seems to be political, and really only centered around each company's reputation.

Jmtyra is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-11, 12:54 AM   #4
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Hey my burst speeds are better on the SATA III and the raid shows improvement

On to how I feel about this though. I do not even care about the x16 slots I want some South Bridge 3.0 love. What good is having screaming fast storage if you cant push the data up the pipe? Hell throw in some heavy USB usage and take it up to some USB 3.0 on some of this shared lane crap and you have slowdowns.

Current Active Fleet:
Daily Driver - i7@3.8, 16GB Ram, 6770 GFX Bedroom PC - SB Celerey @ 1.6, 4GB Ram
Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - 661@3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFXLiving Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram

Game Rig - 2500K@4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - 3570K with various components and a TT 750w PSU
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-22-11, 12:56 AM   #5
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Agreed JT, its wrangling for position, but purely a marketing team battle. Unfortunately however, I talk to people in Microcenters regularly - a lot of people who love to talk computer stuff but many of them not all that well informed. I think both MSI and Gigabyte know their audience well, and the flashy features and things that don't mean much of anything right now do actually win customers in many cases... For a salesman, its easy to convince someone to pay 10 bucks extra for PCIe 3.0, unless they want to save a few bucks to buy the "old" technology PCIe 2.0. Not many consumers want to buy new old tech, unless they know better that its a meaningless differentiation.

Basically, its why our community is the exception - we are well informed in our purchasing decisions, unlike the masses.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-20-12, 02:30 AM   #6
pwnmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
Agreed JT, its wrangling for position, but purely a marketing team battle. Unfortunately however, I talk to people in Microcenters regularly - a lot of people who love to talk computer stuff but many of them not all that well informed. I think both MSI and Gigabyte know their audience well, and the flashy features and things that don't mean much of anything right now do actually win customers in many cases... For a salesman, its easy to convince someone to pay 10 bucks extra for PCIe 3.0, unless they want to save a few bucks to buy the "old" technology PCIe 2.0. Not many consumers want to buy new old tech, unless they know better that its a meaningless differentiation.

Basically, its why our community is the exception - we are well informed in our purchasing decisions, unlike the masses.

Agreed, however things like this are great for everyone since it keeps manufacturers on their toes

XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
Custom Maple Gaming Case
pwnmachine is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-27-12, 06:17 PM   #7
GunzRX
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnmachine View Post
Agreed, however things like this are great for everyone since it keeps manufacturers on their toes
Exactly, tbh only something above the bare-low-end plz recycle me mobos are needed for the most part today because of cpus no longer needing fsb. Water is dif since you will push it further but for air even a 50-70 dollar mobo is fine. Hell, I got a phenom ii x3 955 (I think) from 2.7 to 3.3 quad I do have to press f1 cuz the vrms arent too good, but when I put that under water I'll switch. From an Asus to a Gigabyte of course.

I've had 1 msi before, it wouldn't accept 2 ram slots as long as the 212 was on it otherwise it was fine. Proly some grounding or something but the dual core was getting long in the wind anyway.
GunzRX is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards