Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community
Forum Jump

Will Windows 8 PCs Lock Out Linux?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 02:25 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Will Windows 8 PCs Lock Out Linux?

Quote:
There is a current Windows 8 story that is making its way around the web (ZDNet, TechPowerUp, and Extremetech), that claims that new Windows 8 PCs will be able to “lock out” any other OS, such as Linux. Obviously, this has many people up in arms about Microsoft’s new and upcoming OS, but is this information accurate?
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 09-23-11 at 08:15 AM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 03:40 AM   #2
turbohans

I see them being able to prevent Linux from being installed on the same drive as something that could certainly happen. However that will not be possible in my opinion with separate drives.

And if you think about it too hard you will wonder why you did.
Build your computer Overclock it! find a cure.
Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
F@H - ExtremeOC
turbohans is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 04:58 AM   #3
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Isn't the UEFI done in firmware? So is it not a per-PC setting not a per-HDD setting?

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 08:02 AM   #4
David
Forums Super Moderator

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...with-uefi.aspx

Microsoft have responded, which amounts pretty much to 'it's up to the OEM'.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
Old 09-23-11, 08:54 AM   #5
Ben333
Folding for Team 32!

I think having the product key in firmware is going to make them less money... Now nobody will accidentally buy another copy of windows to clean up their machine when they lose / don't receive a recovery CD. Although... I admit to often using old XP COAs on new machines
Ben333 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 08:59 AM   #6
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

People do that? And you think this is a significant enough part of there revenue stream to mention it?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 09:02 AM   #7
arcanise

i do not see how its possible to prevent another OS being installed, if its on the HDD we already have tools to kill that. not to mention we can easily go to newegg and get a HDD that was never touched by windows. and good luck getting MOBO manufacturers to play this game.

ram OCZ gold edition 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
video GTX 465 OC'd 770//1540//1700 CSM X2!!!
HDD's 1X kingston 60GB SSD
HDD's 1X velociraptor 600GB 10,000 RPM
HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Case Cooler master sniper
Folding User Stats
arcanise is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 09:43 AM   #8
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Why would mobo mfg care considering it has nothing to do with them?

EDIT: Forget it, because its loaded into the UEFI...

Still, they hardly have a choice to boycott the most widely used OS in the word on their boards.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 09:45 AM   #9
arcanise

i just dont see how this could be a secure way of preventing linux installations

ram OCZ gold edition 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
video GTX 465 OC'd 770//1540//1700 CSM X2!!!
HDD's 1X kingston 60GB SSD
HDD's 1X velociraptor 600GB 10,000 RPM
HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Case Cooler master sniper
Folding User Stats
arcanise is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 09:55 AM   #10
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Me either considering the boot selection screen (which OS0 is not taken from the bios but created on a hard drive...unless that is where the bios looks? if thats true, would a rename help? I have no experience whatsoever with linux outside of some boot/utility disks if you dual boot linux and windows can it even show up on that screen?

Old 09-23-11, 10:14 AM   #11
masterofnocrack
Registered

finally no linux.linux is a pest its got to be exterminated.hope this comes to some other non oem mobos too
masterofnocrack is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 10:16 AM   #12
masterofnocrack
Registered

you do mean you need ms signed keys in the mobo bios for it to work.like how graphics cards need signed keys from ati to work on catalyst.so then the bios will not detect/boot from linux\os that has no ms keys.finally oh yeah
masterofnocrack is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 03:13 PM   #13
David
Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

I know, right! Gosh, thankfully we'll be able to do away with all competition in the operating system market and get rid of that pesky personal choice crap that makes my life *hell*.

WARNING: Above message may contain sarcasm.

Thanks!
EarthDog (09-23-11), turbohans (09-23-11)
Old 09-23-11, 03:27 PM   #14
bypolar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I know, right! Gosh, thankfully we'll be able to do away with all competition in the operating system market and get rid of that pesky personal choice crap that makes my life *hell*.

WARNING: Above message may contain sarcasm.
Hate to be the pessimist but the general public makes all of are decisions now,based on market trends.
Quote:
n September, ahead of Windows 7's release, Windows had 92.77 percent of the market, compared to 5.12 percent for the Mac.
We can fool ourselfs into thinking we have choices but they are few and far between.

4-4GB Corsair Vengeance
1-256Gb Crucial M4 SSD
XFX 750W Pro
2-Evga GTX570 in SLI
Cougar evolution
Windows 7 pro 64 bit
bypolar1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 03:30 PM   #15
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

But we do have choices. This potentially limits then even more.

Old 09-23-11, 07:17 PM   #16
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

This sounds more like something Apple would love to do if it could. In general, I think it would hurt Microsoft to add this 'feature' more than it would help them. And if it's up to the OEM, I doubt very few would choose to do it unless they have some strong incentive. It's business - alienating 1% of your user base is worse than alienating 0% - and the extra hassle of supporting an additional feature is costly.

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled
johan851 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 11:18 PM   #17
SMOKEU

It sounds exactly like what Apple does on their computers. Even if this "lock out" does come to fruition, there's nothing stopping people from running Linux or OSX on a VM from within Windows 8.

4GB DDR3 SODIMM
Intel HD2000 graphics
135W external PSU
160GB 2.5" HDD
Debian 7 KDE
SMOKEU is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-23-11, 11:21 PM   #18
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
there's nothing stopping people from running Linux or OSX on a VM from within Windows 8.
Except there are a few of us that wouldn't run Windows at all and this solution becomes a non-solution.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 08:38 AM   #19
Ben333
Folding for Team 32!

I think this will ONLY make it harder to pirate windows. Installing linux and OS X should still be possible.
Ben333 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 09:21 AM   #20
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben333 View Post
I think this will ONLY make it harder to pirate windows. Installing linux and OS X should still be possible.
OK Ill bite... why do you feel this way?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community