Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community
Forum Jump

Will Windows 8 PCs Lock Out Linux?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 09:44 AM   #21
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Possible if the OEMs provide the means to do so. If they don't.... well, that's the issue.

For desktop PCs we can build our own, but this is much harder for laptops.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 10:15 AM   #22
turbohans

I wonder how much leverage Microsoft really has with the OEM computer market. Would all these manufacturers like ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and even Intel want that kind of decreased market share because Microsoft wants Exclusivity like Apple.

And if you think about it too hard you will wonder why you did.
Build your computer Overclock it! find a cure.
Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
F@H - ExtremeOC
turbohans is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 10:29 AM   #23
arcanise

it would create a 3rd form of anti-piracy in that they could code windows so it required this "lock out" on the machine to be installed, and this lock out can only be installed via a working key

ram OCZ gold edition 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
video GTX 465 OC'd 770//1540//1700 CSM X2!!!
HDD's 1X kingston 60GB SSD
HDD's 1X velociraptor 600GB 10,000 RPM
HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Case Cooler master sniper
Folding User Stats
arcanise is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 11:40 AM   #24
mas5acre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben333 View Post
I think this will ONLY make it harder to pirate windows. Installing linux and OS X should still be possible.
Idk, it seems every piece of software the world over has been pirated or hacked. Hell even locked consoles like x360, ps3 and wii. Granted it might take time but i doubt much time.

EDIT Then again getting a copy of someone elses windows would contain their key and just like registering a program online, it then could lock out that key if its widely used. I think I see what he's

saying.

Its kinda like torrenting a program with a key and then running it and it says this key is already in use. The key could be blacklisted. No updates to the program or maybe it stops from even working.

Evga x58 sli LE motherboard
3 x 1.5 TB drives
1 x super talent ultradrive ME ssd
TRUE Copper Cpu cooler
MSI radeon 5870
XFX 9800 ECO for physx
Xonar Essence STX soundcard
Enermax Revolutions85+ 1050w

Last edited by mas5acre; 09-24-11 at 11:48 AM.
mas5acre is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 01:47 PM   #25
someinterwebguy

Just like the "unbreakable" dongles touted by the industry to stop piracy of high end CAD software, this too, shall be circumvented. If it can be made, it can be unmade. I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to use a cracked version of a program/game I BOUGHT, because the protection kept interfering with my actual use of it.

Video: (2)eVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti Superclocked 1GB in SLI Soundcard: Xonar D2X
Boot Drive: 240GB (2X120) Corsair Force 3 Firmware 1.3.2 RAID 0 Storage: 2 (X1) & 3TB (X2) USB 3.0 WD MB Essential 120GB Corsair Force 2
Case: SILVERSTONE PS05B w/Noctua Fans Power Supply: Corsair AX850
Mouse:SteelSeries Sensei MLG Edition Keyboard:Razer Black Widow Ultimate
someinterwebguy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 05:16 PM   #26
SMOKEU

From what I've seen it's nearly impossible to crack most modern online multi player games and still keep the multi player functionality. Maybe Microsoft will take a similar approach.

4GB DDR3 SODIMM
Intel HD2000 graphics
135W external PSU
160GB 2.5" HDD
Debian 7 KDE
SMOKEU is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-11, 08:24 PM   #27
arcanise

simple run a "fake" ******** ******on your machine or a machine in your LAN and in your host file tell the computer to go to your********************************************** ********* *************this is how people played SC2 beta with no beta key

Removed items to make it more ambiguous (thanks Archer). No hard feelings; see below and the 'above reproach' position. -hokie

HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Folding User Stats

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 09-27-11 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 10:48 AM   #28
JimmyG

10 Year Badge

Fodder

This sounds like fodder for a Government anti-trust suit.

Main Computer: INTEL 2600K; ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe; 850W Corsair; Antec P280 case;16 Gigs Corsair Vengance;EVGA 560 TI; 120 INTEL SSD; 2x500Gig WD HD; op system: Win 7-64; Backup computer:INTEL Q6600; 650W Corsair in Antec P180 Case; 4 Gigs RAM; EVGA GT430; Gigibyte P45T-ES3G mobo; 1x200 GB WD; 2x160 GB WD; 1x1GB WD. Operating system: Win 7 -64. ***Avatar by Gresyth***
JimmyG is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-26-11, 11:29 AM   #29
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Looks like you can disable the option.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20...ure-boot-issue

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Coming soon
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-26-11, 11:58 AM   #30
bypolar1

Quote:
The problem may also stretch beyond just the OS, according to Garrett. Since any hardware in the PC also needs to be authenticated, installing new components in a Windows 8 PC may pose a challenge.
"A hardware vendor cannot run their hardware inside the EFI environment unless their drivers are signed with a key that's included in the system firmware," wrote Garrett. "If you install a new graphics card that either has unsigned drivers, or drivers that are signed with a key that's not in your system firmware, you'll get no graphics support in the firmware."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20...#ixzz1Z4w1jzpu
This is a direction I dislike.
From what I am reading it is the UEFI that has laid the path for this type of enforcement & not windows 8.

4-4GB Corsair Vengeance
1-256Gb Crucial M4 SSD
XFX 750W Pro
2-Evga GTX570 in SLI
Cougar evolution
Windows 7 pro 64 bit
bypolar1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 07:27 PM   #31
bcsizemo
Registered

Well in terms of an OEM PC I can see how this could actually be helpful.

If Joe Six Pack has an OEM PC with Win8 and can't install crap ware because it's not signed that's probably a good thing. I know I've had some programs that create virtual devices/drivers and they won't install on a copy of Win7 HP (laptop). I think it might be possible to work around the security policy if I had Pro, but I don't really care that much. As far as another OS, I can see how this becomes a little dicey.

Example, Dell. They have several models that come with either Linux or Windows installed. Now either the system has to be designed to accept keys at the factory, or both sets of keys will have to be in the system when it's built. I'm betting on the former. Given that, I bet someone will make a flash that could erase the keys (assuming you can disable the safe boot option).

And how much pull does MS have with the OEMs? I think a better question is how much pull does MS have with Foxconn. I'd wager to say more than 50% of desktop systems have components from Foxconn. So if they play, then I think everyone else won't have much choice but to follow suit.

This just appears to be another step closer to the whole Trusted Computing model. So far I've seen a lot of ideas put out there, but not a lot in the way of useable hardware. Maybe this will be different, but if it has the potential to hurt the bottom line then I think it just won't be a installed without some serious consideration.
bcsizemo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 07:55 PM   #32
dfonda
Senior Member that
wants to Be Banned
Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge

Nice info Jymtyra...Win 7 doing all I want right now...I'll sign up when Win 9 gets here

#1Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM evga560Ti
#2 Ubuntu 4P 6172's 48 cores on a SuperMicro
Phones:Nexus 5(Love It) N4,N7, iphone5
Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".
Last Steam App Update..."Allow App to Magically start itself and login by itself" is on list of permissions!
dfonda is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 08:11 PM   #33
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanise View Post
simple run a "fake" ******** ******on your machine or a machine in your LAN and in your host file tell the computer to go to your********************************************** ********* *************this is how people played SC2 beta with no beta key
This is frowned upon my many of the christmas guys round here. Green and red. I would suggeat an edit.

Current Active Fleet:
Daily Driver - i7@3.8, 16GB Ram, 6770 GFX Bedroom PC - SB Celerey @ 1.6, 4GB Ram
Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - 661@3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFXLiving Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram

Game Rig - 2500K@4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
Test Bed - 3570K with various components and a TT 750w PSU
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 08:45 PM   #34
arcanise

well TBH archer i didnt link anythign or give any specifics, as i see it; it is common knowledge for people that dont know, why try to hide information that everyone should know exists.

HDD's 1X WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Folding User Stats
Old 09-27-11, 08:59 PM   #35
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanise View Post
well TBH archer i didnt link anythign or give any specifics, as i see it; it is common knowledge for people that dont know, why try to hide information that everyone should know exists.
Because this site may deal with software vendors and some of us do deal with them. It is fine to mention that there may be a work around for software that you paid for but it can be used in other ways as well.

Quote:
Illegal and Unethical Posts

Overclockers Forums prohibit the promotion of, and reference to, any program or website which contains or distributes Warez, Crackz, and pirated copyrighted material, including but not limited to music and video. Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums.

This is a serious issue for this Forum. Allowing discussion of and, by extension condoning the distribution of, said information jeopardizes the very existence of this Forum. As such, it will not be tolerated. For the long-term future of this site, please abide by this rule.

In addition to this, moderator staff may at their discretion choose to edit, remove or otherwise manipulate material they feel is not of a suitable ethical standard. This is entirely at the moderators' discretion. This may include for example: use of unsecured wireless networks, threads that discuss/poke fun at/otherwise unfairly involve people, organisations or sites in areas of the forum in which they cannot defend themselves. Discussion of banned members anywhere on the forums, discussion of members without General Discussion or Classifieds access in those areas or other such threads will be removed, possibly with an informal warning. This is often difficult to establish in a concrete fashion within our framework of rules, however if we remove threads for such reasons we will often provide an explanation.
Mentioning that there have been cracks and the like is one thing and discussing some things is fine and though your post is not a how to guide it is a little TMI.

I personally do not want MS to think I am hacking the software and I really do not want this site to get a bad name either.

Current Active Fleet:
Daily Driver - i7@3.8, 16GB Ram, 6770 GFX Bedroom PC - SB Celerey @ 1.6, 4GB Ram
Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - 661@3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFXLiving Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram

Last edited by Archer0915; 09-27-11 at 09:28 PM.
Archer0915 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 09:27 PM   #36
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Aye, Archer is right. For anything having to to with getting around EULA's / legit software verification / etc, we take an 'above reproach' position. It's not necessarily anyone's personal view or whatever, but is simply to protect the site. Sorry, the post has to go.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-11, 10:12 PM   #37
Archer0915
"The Expert"

Yeah I don't want to seem like a prude and honestly I did not know anything about what arcanise was talking about. I really never think about those types of things and in a way this was new to me so that is to say it is not common knowledge and I have been going around the software block since the late 80s.

Arcanise it was all about the details given and I cant really recall seeing things put that way before. It is for the protection of us all and the way Big Brother has been suing people as of late I do not want to be included in a lawsuit.

Current Active Fleet:

Old 09-27-11, 11:12 PM   #38
Ben333
Folding for Team 32!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
OK Ill bite... why do you feel this way?
Uhh ok? And because it sounds like the key will be associated / intergrated with the hardware (motherboard). Harder to pirate windows, because it will have more hardware interaction relating to licensing, but why would it be hard to get rid of windows? Anywho, I'm not worried. There'll be a way around it. I mean jeeze, wasn't there a lawsuit against microsoft because they included media player and IE with windows xp? If that's considered wrong by bundling those programs then forcing the use of windows certainly will be.
Ben333 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-28-11, 02:32 AM   #39
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben333 View Post
I mean jeeze, wasn't there a lawsuit against microsoft because they included media player and IE with windows xp? If that's considered wrong by bundling those programs then forcing the use of windows certainly will be.
It isn't Microsoft forcing it, as they did with the bundling of preinstalled apps with windows. It's the OEM locking it to windows, if the OEM chooses to do so.

So long as there isn't Microsoft coercion upon the OEMs, I don't foresee any antitrust issues with Microsoft on this for that reason.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-28-11, 03:51 AM   #40
turbohans

Should also make clear that buy saying OEM that means company's that sell whole computers, not just parts-manufacturers.

As I would highly doubt a manufacturer like ASUS would ever say that their boards can only be used with one OS. That would cut a huge chunk out of their revenue. But for a company like Dell however that would be perfectly reasonable.

And if you think about it too hard you will wonder why you did.
Build your computer Overclock it! find a cure.
Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
F@H - ExtremeOC
turbohans is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community