• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I always enjoy reading about power consumption section on any cpu review that I read.....but this flipped me out of my seat. 586 watts load at 4818MHz? Dang! No wonder why it came with H2O cooler. Too bad that they didn't mention about the heat output.
Thanks Badbonji for the link.

Just curious does anyone have a good benchmark of a 8150 overclocked for 24/7 vs a 1100T overclocked for 24/7 use?

I see several of the benches show it vs a stock 1100T but just wonder how much of a performance gap there really is when they are both overclocked to moderate values for their design. Such as having the 1100T at 4.1Ghz and the 8150 at 4.8Ghz.

If the gains on the 1100T are much higher than the 8150 I may go back on my earlier statement. . . I keep seeing more and more reviews say just how bad the 8150 is.

I would think comparing stock to stock is the way to go as comparing OC to OC is so chip dependent. Not all 1100T are going to hit 4.1 GHz and maybe dependent on other factors such as memory and HT settings. Same goes for any other chip. It's nice to know that it's a good OCer but most unlocked chips from Intel or AMD are good OCers these days.

Fact is when SB came out it BLEW Intel's old CPUs out of the water, even old Intel OCed. In some ways it's not unreasonable to expect new AMD to do the same to old AMD at stock. Otherwise where's the incentive to upgrade to AMD?

If you're going to buy now or in a couple of weeks - get the 2500/2600. You've got more bang for your $$$. Even if you didnt get the K series, it isnt as power hungry as BD.

Thank you for your advice.

I must say I'm pretty disappointed with BD after reading all the reviews that have come out - Hokie, tom's, anand, etc. I'm in no rush to upgrade so I'll wait for IB now.

Time to sell all my AMD stock.

I was shocked when I saw the power consumption figures. It's Pentium 4 all over again. Let's hope their next architecture is as much of an improvement as Core was for Intel.

My poor E6400 will have to keep fighting the good fight until Ivy Bridge is out.

I would think comparing stock to stock is the way to go as comparing OC to OC is so chip dependent. Not all 1100T are going to hit 4.1 GHz and maybe dependent on other factors such as memory and HT settings. Same goes for any other chip. It's nice to know that it's a good OCer but most unlocked chips from Intel or AMD are good OCers these days.

Fact is when SB came out it BLEW Intel's old CPUs out of the water, even old Intel OCed. In some ways it's not unreasonable to expect new AMD to do the same to old AMD at stock. Otherwise where's the incentive to upgrade to AMD?

I agree however several benchs show the 8150 overclocked and how it stands again base clock chips. Which sure shows just how much you have to overclock the chip to get even better performance than say the 1090 or 1100 at base clocks but not if both chips have a mild overclock.

Showing a bench with the 8150 overclocked and just barely beating an 1100T at stock does nothing but show just how bad the 8150 is. I think if the bench reflects both chips under even a mild overclock the difference becomes even more apparent. I guess what I am saying is the more I read the more I am tempted just to buy an 1100T because the 8150 is just that bad.

Thank you for your advice.

I must say I'm pretty disappointed with BD after reading all the reviews that have come out - Hokie, tom's, anand, etc. I'm in no rush to upgrade so I'll wait for IB now.

Time to sell all my AMD stock.

Sell them before NYSE reopens!

Ordered an 1100T, I will wait for the second generation as the 8150 family just isn't going to cut it. Would have stayed with my 1090 but that was already sold :)

Did some thinking, including about getting a i7-980, and have decided at least for now, to hold off on upgrading until after the holidays.

I haven't had an Intel based system since I had a Pentium II 233 back in early '98, but it looks like I might have one come the new year.

I'm going to wait for Ivy Bridge and see what happens with that before deciding though.

My current system is nice and stable as is (I only reboot to install Windows updates and shut down to clean out the dust filters on the bottom of the case) and nothing feels slow.

I'm just glad I didn't buy anything ahead of time, as much as I wanted to.

Overall I don't consider BD a total failure, but looking at the benches from all the different sites, I definitely wouldn't consider it a success either. Maybe I, and others, expected to much? :shrug:

After all the wait they could have at least some in stores on launch day, that is a screw up imo, only TD have the 8150 in stock.

I think a lot of people are bitter, having purchased BD Mobo's (I almost did in June... BD was "unofficialy" planned early July, you remember?).
And now, finally out, not even in stock!
WTF are you doing AMD?
At least, they manufacture great GPU's...

Overall I don't consider BD a total failure, but looking at the benches from all the different sites, I definitely wouldn't consider it a success either. Maybe I, and others, expected to much? :shrug:
I think since we saw AMD hold the performance crown with S754 and S939 some years back, we kind of expect them to do it again...at some point.

I am a bit disappointed in the lack of availability of the CPU also... makes no sense to hype this thing to have no availability on the major sites... WTH? :shrug:

I couldn't be more bummed about these new chips if I tried. I was really wanting to go from my i5 setup to this and build one for my GF too. Not gonna happen though. These chips are an embarrassment, especially overclocked...

Welp, bye bye BD, hello expensive Corsair cooler. Gonna overclock my 1090t sky high, I kind of want to move to Intel after this debacle, but that would depend how much I could sell my Sabertooth/1090t for. If I could get $200 for the board and CPU I'd move to Intel and pay the $300 for the 2600K (I'd use the $200 for the Sabertooth Intel board)

At least it saves me time to set up the 990fx, will go straight back to the egg, can't run it without a CPU can I??

I think a lot of people are bitter, having purchased BD Mobo's (I almost did in June... BD was "unofficialy" planned early July, you remember?).
WTF are you doing AMD?

Last week the Crosshair V Formula went "OOS" at NewEgg. I decided to stop by my local Fry's to pick one up as they showed some still in stock but when I actually got to the store they also were "OOS" so I went home empty handed. That now looks like it was a blessing in disguise.

I'm just getting started this morning, but did need to clear one thing up - the water cooler is NOT included. FX comes with the standard AMD cooler. As stated in the review, the water cooler is expected to cost around the $100 mark and is not available in our market yet.

WTF are you doing AMD?

As long as the drivers work :chair:
(I personally have had only a few issues with ATI cards and/or their drivers though, just speaking from others' experiences).

hokie said:
I'm just getting started this morning, but did need to clear one thing up - the water cooler is NOT included. FX comes with the standard AMD cooler. As stated in the review, the water cooler is expected to cost around the $100 mark and is not available in our market yet.

So ~$100 for a (probably) rebadged H70, when a better performing H80 sells for $10 cheaper. Nice!

(Thanks for the clarification, Jeremy!)

I'm interested to see how the chip OCs on a stock cooler now.

Back