• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clock it as high as it will clock and remain stable. The good news is it's a great clocker. :thup:

yeah i understand AMD said it was meant to work at high speed, so comparing clock for clock with Intel probably isn't the best.
what about the next revision, does it need a stronger FPU or something?

sheesh, talking about the next rev when it just got released today.

I'm still just going to sit on the fence until January or so. If I was still rocking my quad core (which I just gave away to a family member), I would jump at the 8150 in a second, but with my current setup, not so much. I gave it a 7, as it's not horrible, just not much of an upgrade for me.

Dude I just think there is more to these things than has been revealed. I might buy one just to push it to its limits if nobody else will. I am just one of those PPL who cant believe this CPU has no real redeeming qualities.

I refuse to accept that this is just an incomplete processor (hint: win 95) waiting for a patch; piledriver.

Wow, I bought it and only gave it a 4. I am a sucker for moar hardware.

You must have been feeling generous.
With proper pricing, it has its place. As it stands priced now at newegg. 1. :facepalm:

I voted 10, because it overclocks like a champ!
I'm currently writing in OCF, right?

So does a socket 775 Cedar Mill CPU, but I wouldn't give it a 10 if it doesn't have the performance to be competitive in benchmarks against even a stock competitor.

"AMD FX Processors Go Head To Head | Competitive Performance For AMD's New Eight Core"

Probably the best way to describe what this Chip can actually do, and where the future is going.

I hate to do this but :quicksync:

Now put that up because it is built into the CPU. I dont want the crap marketing stuff I want to see some real work damnit and some real comparisons.

I am not saying we do not have good info but some of us (as I said before) work with our systems and don not just bench them.

I hate to do this but :quicksync:

Now put that up because it is built into the CPU. I dont want the crap marketing stuff I want to see some real work damnit and some real comparisons.

I am not saying we do not have good info but some of us (as I said before) work with our systems and don not just bench them.

Then I think you need to find an easily reproducible, quantitative way to get a number/score in order to get what you are looking for. You can't have a subjective 'does it feel snappy' view, as any number of things can contribute to that. And it has to be pretty much automated, it can't involve manually opening 6 things and having each of them run, as it has to be able to be done over and over with different chips, different installs, and different hardware to get rid of variables.

Then I think you need to find an easily reproducible, quantitative way to get a number/score in order to get what you are looking for. You can't have a subjective 'does it feel snappy' view, as any number of things can contribute to that. And it has to be pretty much automated, it can't involve manually opening 6 things and having each of them run, as it has to be able to be done over and over with different chips, different installs, and different hardware to get rid of variables.

My post was specific and it pertained to that link that did not use all of the i5 processor. It contained a GPU you know and that GPU is wicked bad.

I do completely understand what you are saying and I agree but this post had nothing to do with that and your complaint is actually a little off. It can be done.

I can run a caned benchmark and get different results every time. I can run tests while the CPU is heavily loaded as well.

"AMD FX Processors Go Head To Head | Competitive Performance For AMD's New Eight Core"

Probably the best way to describe what this Chip can actually do, and where the future is going.

Heh, did you guys see the pretty significant error in there? They said it was out-performing a 980X in Cinebench 11.5. The CPU run and scored was a 2500K, which they do state in the configs at the end; but someone screwed up. Wonder if they'll fix that...

Didn't catch that part. Going up against the 980x is a bit difficult. I'm still very impressed by that CPU.

So does a socket 775 Cedar Mill CPU, but I wouldn't give it a 10 if it doesn't have the performance to be competitive in benchmarks against even a stock competitor.
Sorry to disappoint you, but we're not twin brothers that think identically.
I still worship my Celeron 330j.

Back