• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could you run a wprime with one thread per module and then 4 threads on 2 modules? I am curious as to what the results would be.

Already done it experimenting before on Dolk's suggestion. Windows 7 isn't smart enough to assign it to the right modules and you lose time. Several seconds in WP32.

Superbg, we did that as one of the first rounds of tests. It actually came back with some strange results. I can post those when I get back to my main computer. Or hokie can post them.

Digging..... found.

Stock time with 4 threads and affinity to 1,3,5,7 gets 15.351sec for WP32M. Changing the 2nd WP process that comes up after you run it for the first time to that affinity gets 14.828sec. Changing them both to affinity 0,2,4,6 does not change anything. Setting affinity to all cores & running with 8 threads gets 9.083sec.

ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
bundled with:

1x AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core ...

I need one of those.

Read down a little ways... :D
Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items.
I guess this combo is for people with two systems, or two friend trying to save money.

I'm not sure what to think. For the price they are currently, they should offer better performance. I'm not horrible let down, but I was hoping it would be ~10% of the 2600k, and cost $250. It seems it's more like ~20%-30% and costs $279. Meh.

I'm thinking the 6100 right now is a better deal. $324 for the 6100 and UD3 combo on the Egg.

Even though the 2500k can be had at 180ish, the motherboards are quite expensive, if you want a higher end one. I like how the AMD counterparts are $220ish for top of the line, while it's $300ish for Intels side.

With that said, I think if you need high end performance, Intel is still the way to go. With Ivy Bridge coming in 4 -5 months, and it being cross compatible with SB, grabbing a 2600k, and replacing it with IB later seems like the best deal.

The 8150 is just way to damn expensive for the performance it offers. I'm interested to see some benchies on the 6100, as it's drastically cheaper, and seems to be the same CPU, with one less module. I'm leaning toward the 6100 as your best bet for a mid-high range gaming rig, while Intel still dominates for users who need A LOT of CPU power.

My .02:popcorn:

EDIT: I'd like to see some benchies comparing the 6100 and the 2500k, actually.

Anyone notice the "bulldozer fail" tag someone put on this thread? :rofl:

You mean I cant force that CPU in the socket and slap a HSF on it and go? BUMMER:(

I didn't say you can't... you can do whatever you want and have fun doing it :D

While you're at it get one of these:

13261_large.jpg

I'm not sure what to think. For the price they are currently, they should offer better performance. I'm not horrible let down, but I was hoping it would be ~10% of the 2600k, and cost $250. It seems it's more like ~20%-30% and costs $279. Meh.

I'm thinking the 6100 right now is a better deal. $324 for the 6100 and UD3 combo on the Egg.

Even though the 2500k can be had at 180ish, the motherboards are quite expensive, if you want a higher end one. I like how the AMD counterparts are $220ish for top of the line, while it's $300ish for Intels side.

With that said, I think if you need high end performance, Intel is still the way to go. With Ivy Bridge coming in 4 -5 months, and it being cross compatible with SB, grabbing a 2600k, and replacing it with IB later seems like the best deal.

The 8150 is just way to damn expensive for the performance it offers. I'm interested to see some benchies on the 6100, as it's drastically cheaper, and seems to be the same CPU, with one less module. I'm leaning toward the 6100 as your best bet for a mid-high range gaming rig, while Intel still dominates for users who need A LOT of CPU power.

My .02:popcorn:

EDIT: I'd like to see some benchies comparing the 6100 and the 2500k, actually.

Good thing about Sb is there really is NO NEED for the top of the line boards. They mostly all over clock the same since it is multi based. There isn't a real need to buy those $300 boards when the most common sell for around $180-200.

Also after looking at the reviews, I doubt a BD would be your best bet for anything related to gaming unless I missed something. It barely edged out the 2500k in a few tests. At $179 I'd rather have the CPU power and gaming ability. But that is just my opinion.

Looks like this chip isn't the dragon slayer we all hoped for, it's a nice chip given it's price/performance ratio but I feel a little less guilty about buying my 1090T now.

Back