• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The GPU is a HD6970 based on shaders, and that he used a HD6970 in all other tests.

MattNo5ss is correct, video was a 6970. :thup:

Cool. Well I am happy with my little score for now. I just hope AMD follows suit with something similar to quicksync on the piledriver. They have the technology and I just do not understand how it is not the case with the A series.

"AMD FX Processors Go Head To Head | Competitive Performance For AMD's New Eight Core"

Talk about handpicked (not that I am surprised, being AMD's own video); firstly goes against the 980x in a GAME test at GPU bound resolution, then it manages to beat a 2500k in multithreaded benchmark (it wins sure, but then costs more) and then shows a couple of benchmarks where it can keep up to a 2600k (from other reviews I have read, the majority of the time it loses by quite a bit).

Not even to mention the fact that the CPU uses much more power under load and will end up costing more in the long run. Even though it cannot park modules in Windows 7, it doesn't seem to save much power in Windows 8 from core parking: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-23.html

Except for people who prefer AMD or want something new and exciting to bench, I cannot see this chip selling too well.

Is that your intel chip @ 4.9ghz or is that showing the performance increase of a BD @ 4.9ghz from stock?

Lol, that's my rig vs 8150 stock

EDIT: try to find some [email protected], back in a minute
EDIT 2: that's the only one I found. Going to put a screen with a stock 2600k

Guys I feel flames. We are all a little astonished here but some PPL are locked into this. I have not been on my best behavior in this thread but lets not pick. Let us maintain a higher level of maturity here; we are not grade schoolers.

Interesting poll results so far...

~40% = Dissapointed (1-3)
~47% = MEH (4-7)
~13% = EvIhoped (8-10)

Good thing about Sb is there really is NO NEED for the top of the line boards. They mostly all over clock the same since it is multi based. There isn't a real need to buy those $300 boards when the most common sell for around $180-200.

Also after looking at the reviews, I doubt a BD would be your best bet for anything related to gaming unless I missed something. It barely edged out the 2500k in a few tests. At $179 I'd rather have the CPU power and gaming ability. But that is just my opinion.

The same can be said with the lower end AM3+ boards.

The 2500k can only be had at 180 if you are near a Microcenter. So motherboard/CPU for the 6100 would be around $330ish, while the 2500k/motherboard would be around 410ish. That's also going with the higher end AM3+ board. For a mid-range AM3+ board, the two would be around $280ish.

Depending on how the 6100 holds up to the 2500k as far as games go, I would assume it would be around the same as the 8150 as most games aren't using more than 6 cores.

So having near 2500k performance, while saving around $100 - $120, seems like a good deal to me. Plus they seem more fun to play with :clap:

EDIT: Having * hopefully* near 2500k performance. I guess I'll have to wait a few days to see some 6100's.

Guys I feel flames. We are all a little astonished here but some PPL are locked into this. I have not been on my best behavior in this thread but lets not pick. Let us maintain a higher level of maturity here; we are not grade schoolers.

Hey ARcher, cool:cool:
I think we are ALL astonished, including myself.
And what astonish me the most is to have been taken for a m....n by AMD marketing, you know?

That's all they deserve, sorry!

I'm not sure what to think. For the price they are currently, they should offer better performance. I'm not horrible let down, but I was hoping it would be ~10% of the 2600k, and cost $250. It seems it's more like ~20%-30% and costs $279. Meh.

I'm thinking the 6100 right now is a better deal. $324 for the 6100 and UD3 combo on the Egg.

Even though the 2500k can be had at 180ish, the motherboards are quite expensive, if you want a higher end one. I like how the AMD counterparts are $220ish for top of the line, while it's $300ish for Intels side.

With that said, I think if you need high end performance, Intel is still the way to go. With Ivy Bridge coming in 4 -5 months, and it being cross compatible with SB, grabbing a 2600k, and replacing it with IB later seems like the best deal.

The 8150 is just way to damn expensive for the performance it offers. I'm interested to see some benchies on the 6100, as it's drastically cheaper, and seems to be the same CPU, with one less module. I'm leaning toward the 6100 as your best bet for a mid-high range gaming rig, while Intel still dominates for users who need A LOT of CPU power.

My .02:popcorn:

EDIT: I'd like to see some benchies comparing the 6100 and the 2500k, actually.

Thing is, you don't need a high end SB board to kill this somewhat laughable attempt to make Intel worry in the mid priced cpu category. I have a $110 Biostar P67 board running a 2500k at 4723. And I can push it higher than that, but why, for 24/7 usage?

Thing is, you don't need a high end SB board to kill this somewhat laughable attempt to make Intel worry in the mid priced cpu category. I have a $110 Biostar P67 board running a 2500k at 4723. And I can push it higher than that, but why, for 24/7 usage?

This is true. I'm just hoping pricing will go down, closing the gap of price/performance.

If I lived near Microcenter like I used to, I'd already have a SB system xD I could have my sister buy it and ship it .. or just wait out a few months and see what happens :thup:

Newegg had it well above MSRP and are already out of stuck... Until they can get enough inventory in, they'll probably keep the prices high.

Back