• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a question towards hokie/Dolk:
How did you guys get AMD to send you the board & the CPU?
Looks like they don't send free stuff to random guys, how did that happen?

They are reviewers for Overclockers.com, which requested review units to be sent to us (them). And with OCF's notoriety and history they were able to send the unit(s).

That's how they get the majority of the things that get reviewed, if I'm not mistaken, making it much more difficult for joe-schmo to say "i can haz free chip to review plz?"

I feel bad for AMD. This was supposed to be something special and it turned out to be mediocre. This is not a processor for gamers especially games that are single threaded like World of Tanks.

they were involved in the record-setting overclock earlier. This is a fairly well known review site, several hundred were sent out for that.

They are reviewers for Overclockers.com, which requested review units to be sent to us (them). And with OCF's notoriety and history they were able to send the unit(s).

That's how they get the majority of the things that get reviewed, if I'm not mistaken, making it much more difficult for joe-schmo to say "i can haz free chip to review plz?"
Gosh, I wish I was a reviewer... Wouldn't mind getting the newest hardware available for FREE for doing reviews that I love.. :salute:

Gosh, I wish I was a reviewer... Wouldn't mind getting the newest hardware available for FREE for doing reviews that I love.. :salute:
You gotta start somewhere. Start writing reviews about stuff you already have, submit it to websites as a free-lance. Move your way up the food chain and eventually you'll be able to get free stuff.

But you have to be two things. Good making your thoughts clear through the written word, and objective.

There is hella work in it and most reviewers go in the hole on stuff. Some spending as much of more than what thay actually get.

When I do a review I generally get less than min. wage if you count the hours spent and the value of the product. Hell that does not count the pile of things you need to keep around for a while in case you need to folloow up.

There is hella work in it and most reviewers go in the hole on stuff. Some spending as much of more than what thay actually get.

When I do a review I generally get less than min. wage if you count the hours spent and the value of the product. Hell that does not count the pile of things you need to keep around for a while in case you need to folloow up.
The current value of the Bulldozer is $280, water cooling unit costs ~$100 too, no idea about the Crosshair V, but my guess is that its around $300.
So yeah $680 worth of products aren't THAT bad, plus I'm pretty sure hokie loved reviewing it.

The current value of the Bulldozer is $280, water cooling unit costs ~$100 too, no idea about the Crosshair V, but my guess is that its around $300.
So yeah $680 worth of products aren't THAT bad, plus I'm pretty sure hokie loved reviewing it.

Yeah it is fun but at times you can get something and then find out they want a faster than expected turn around. That would be fine if it was all one did but most of us have a life and some still have a wife.

Many sleepless nights as well when you have kids and the AC will not cool you lab/shop in the summer.

It is not easy being a reviewer, especially turning out the quality reviews Hokie does, it is under tight deadlines and a lot of editing goes in before publishing, plus he makes no profit from it, whatever he sells from it he re-invest in equipment to do other reviews, hence the reason why he could do extreme cooling in his reviews, LN2 aint cheap.

It is not easy being a reviewer, especially turning out the quality reviews Hokie does, it is under tight deadlines and a lot of editing goes in before publishing, plus he makes no profit from it, whatever he sells from it he re-invest in equipment to do other reviews, hence the reason why he could do extreme cooling in his reviews, LN2 aint cheap.

If he would actually sell anything. Hokie is a packrat, and most things he needs to be because in the next review he'll need the parts to re-run the comparisons.

Many sites use databases of past results to do comparisons - thats how they can compare a dozen different components in a single graph. We never re-use old scores - we rerun all the tests to ensure there aren't other OS, update, or driver differences and the scores are legit.

Nobody said its easy (at least I didn't).
I do respect all of the reviewers in here, since I know it must be hard for them, but why does every review have to be considered as some kind of a 'job'?
I'm pretty sure hokie was eager to share this review with us, since there's so much hype going around the Bulldozer and all so he must of had a good time.
You're making it look like its a bad thing to do... It isn't like AMD forced anyone to review anything. He decided to do it, because he has a fetish for hardware, don't we all? :attn:

Guys is there any incentive to get an 8150 over an 8120? If they're both unlockable then I don't see the point in spending more on the same exact thing essentially. Let me know your thoughts!

Guys is there any incentive to get an 8150 over an 8120? If they're both unlockable then I don't see the point in spending more on the same exact thing essentially. Let me know your thoughts!
No point of getting the 8150 if the only difference is the stock clock.

Binning possibly between the 8150 or 8120, depends if the 8120 clocks as well or not - I'd compare it to a 1090T or 1100T, probably a similar situation. The FX-6100 is probably the best deal though, as far as bang for buck.

I do respect all of the reviewers in here, since I know it must be hard for them, but why does every review have to be considered as some kind of a 'job'?
I'm pretty sure hokie was eager to share this review with us, since there's so much hype going around the Bulldozer and all so he must of had a good time.
You're making it look like its a bad thing to do... It isn't like AMD forced anyone to review anything. He decided to do it, because he has a fetish for hardware, don't we all? :attn:

Nobody said it was not enjoyable:) It is an investment and it can give you satisfaction.

Binning possibly between the 8150 or 8120, depends if the 8120 clocks as well or not - I'd compare it to a 1090T or 1100T, probably a similar situation. The FX-6100 is probably the best deal though, as far as bang for buck.

Yeah it will be interesting how the binning turns out. Does anyone know if the6100 is designed to be just three modules or does it have a disabled/deactivated module on the die?

It's not just about getting free gear, and reviewing it. Hokie has earned his way to get the opportunity he gets. Getting to his status is expensive. You have to start somewhere, and you do not get anything for free. That "$680" is a lot less than I'm sure he's spent in his years here at OCF. Also, having the knowledge to do a review takes time. Anyone can become a "reviewer". But gaining respect is the hard/expensive part. In time it may become rewarding, but if they are getting free gear, there is a reason for it.

I know of people who buy gear, review it, submit it, sell it for %20 less than they bought it for, and get the next best thing to review. They never get free stuff. Maybe when they gain some reputable respect, they will.

This is what I was getting at. Although it still may not be better bang/buck compared to intel. Waiting on prices to settle, and seeing some benchies will determine that.

I would love to see benchmarks comparing the 6100 and the 1100T, since they both have the same stock clock, and they are both the same price (on Newegg, atleast).

Back