• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have an FX-6100 available locally, 50L of LN2, and I just found there's a beta bios for the Asus CIVE... On my way to pickup gear, then setup an OS, and I should have some more results this evening.
Great! I was considering picking one of these up for myself so it will be cool to see how it performs. +1 for livestream:thup:

Just to let you know, legionhardware have reviewed the quad core and hex core if you want to see the numbers, although the quad is emulated by disabling half of the modules, this is exactly what it will consist of and should give an accurate representation.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8150fx_8120fx_6100_and_fx_4170,3.html

Unsurprisingly the bulldozer quad and hex lose out to the last generation counterparts. Even worse is that the FX4170 uses 50W more at load than the 2600k!

Last edited:
who bought my 8150 off of the egg....
came home from work set down to order and thier out of stock....
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sticking with my PII x6, my next upgrade won't be the 8150 like I thought. I can see the Ivy Bridge on the horizon :)

I have an FX-6100 available locally, 50L of LN2, and I just found there's a beta bios for the Asus CIVE... On my way to pickup gear, then setup an OS, and I should have some more results this evening.
Sweet!!!
Just to let you know, legionhardware have reviewed the quad core and hex core if you want to see the numbers, http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8150fx_8120fx_6100_and_fx_4170,3.html

Unsurprisingly the bulldozer quad and hex lose out to the last generation counterparts. Even worse is that the FX4170 uses 50W more at load than the 2600k!
I found that review moments after I posted here. Very disappointing.
Sticking with my PII x6, my next upgrade won't be the 8150 like I thought. I can see the Ivy Bridge on the horizon :)

Yup. I'm going to wait until Piledriver is out, and see how IB and PD compare to one another.
Looks like I'll be upgrading my GPU this holiday instead. Oh well, suits me just as well.

Just to let you know, legionhardware have reviewed the quad core and hex core if you want to see the numbers, although the quad is emulated by disabling half of the modules, this is exactly what it will consist of and should give an accurate representation.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8150fx_8120fx_6100_and_fx_4170,3.html

thats what I was looking for. Looks like the 980be is still going to be the best budget bang for the buck for gamers...

I can attest to how much work a review is. I have only done one and it was fun but way harder than I thought at first. the actual testing was the easy part. it was all the writing and formatting and editing that goes in before it even reaches the frontpage that was hard.

So again I want to say great job on this review Hokie :thup:

Fx-6100 was $199 before tax from microcenter.

2500k had a $70 instant discount, making it $179 before tax.

So retailers are inflating msrp, and Intel bottomed out SB prices. At these prices right now, I don't know what normal person would buy this chip...

Fx-6100 was $199 before tax from microcenter.

2500k had a $70 instant discount, making it $179 before tax.

So retailers are inflating msrp, and Intel bottomed out SB prices. At these prices right now, I don't know what normal person would buy this chip...
2500k's prices didn't drop in Bulgaria.. :cry:
P.S Do a livestream if you're benching the 6100, please. :attn:

Funny thing, I guess I'm too old for hype or no hype anymore. The lack of PR from AMD said to me "this chip is not what people are expecting." Last year I was ready for the 990fx and a new cpu. As time went on I could see the bulldozer had water in the diesel fuel. Sorry guys, really, but there is a limit to the way we manufacture and our engineering is not where it could be. That's why we still make cars with gas engines after more than a hundred years and burn coal to run our computers.:cry:

Sad deal, but at least something new to bench. Let's see 8GHz.:attn:

AMD bulldozer is more disappointing than the original AMD Phenom, AMD HD2900XT, AMD 700 series chipsets all combined.

Nuff said.

8GHz. That would be nice.

I haven't ran this board since our microcenter event. I have frozen the crap out of it a couple dozen times. It has literally had puddles of water sitting on it, because I forgot to tell a friend that it wasn't conformal coated - vaseline is the only insulation it has ever had.

So the board has been thru some crap, but it has taken two Phenom II's to 7GHz and those chips really did not want to get there.

I am a dangerous man though tonight. This FX-6100 only has one hope of making it to sunrise tomorrow, and that's with 8Ghz under its belt. So long as it keeps scaling with voltage, the voltage will keep going up. :rock:

Well it looks like there aren't any CPU-Z uploads on HWBot yet, Matt. So go for the gold :popcorn:

8GHz. That would be nice.

I am a dangerous man though tonight. This FX-6100 only has one hope of making it to sunrise tomorrow, and that's with 8Ghz under its belt. So long as it keeps scaling with voltage, the voltage will keep going up. :rock:

Awesome deal, I will be tuned in. Good luck and make us all laugh.:clap:

Targeting 9pm for livestream (eastern). Need to drop an image on the drive and flash the cive BIOS.
Could you please link us to the livestream when it starts in this topic or something :confused:
2:47AM here so yeah, no idea when its going to be 9PM EST.

Could you please link us to the livestream when it starts in this topic or something :confused:
2:47AM here so yeah, no idea when its going to be 9PM EST.

1hr and 15 minutes from now.

Odds are he will link it here and have it streaming posted in the benchmarking section.

Well I decided id try it out just for a review even though its a waste of time and money but frys wont have it instock till the weekend at the earliest my local store said. So much for a launch.

Back