Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community
Forum Jump

Live Benching: AMD FX-6100 Bulldozer on Liquid Nitrogen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 07:22 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Live Benching: AMD FX-6100 Bulldozer on Liquid Nitrogen

Overclockers.com has already published benchmarking results for AMD's new Bulldozer this morning in our FX-8150 review. Now, OC Forums administrator and Benching Team member I.M.O.G. will be putting the new CPU to the test. Using the latest hardware and liquid nitrogen cooling, I.M.O.G. will take Bulldozer as far as he can tonight...

Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:27 PM   #2
mdcomp
Classic Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Looking forward to checking it out!

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:37 PM   #3
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

I'm in.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:38 PM   #4
Convicted1
Premium Member #2

I'm already there waiting...

xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT
Convicted1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:39 PM   #5
capttripppp

Woot Woot! Be there or be square

"I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1
capttripppp is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:39 PM   #6
Metallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
I'm in.
If you're like me, and you have no clue when 10pm EST is, I looked it up. 1 hour and 21 minutes from now!

BTW, am I the only one who loves steel reserve?
Metallica is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Mario1 (10-12-11)
Old 10-12-11, 07:48 PM   #7
Mario1
Grammer, its my favoriate thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica View Post
If you're like me, and you have no clue when 10pm EST is, I looked it up. 1 hour and 21 minutes from now!

Oh great, he added an extra hour to it... 1st it was 9, now 10...
Looks like I'll just sit here like an idiot an extra hour... 3:47AM already.
I'll kill my spare time by raging at AMD (already sent a disturbing email to their 'tech support').

CPU Cooler; Box AM2 cooler
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance & 1x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 804mhz 9-9-9-24 1T CR
Graphics card: HD3650 1GB DDR2 (400/400, runs at x4 for some weird reason)
HDD: WesternDigital Caviar Black 1TB, SATA III, 64MB Cache
PSU:Corsair CX430
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 (3x 120mm Thermaltake intake fans; 1 front, 1 side, 1 bot. 3x 120mm Thermaltake exhaust fans; 2 top, 1 back)
Mario1 is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 07:51 PM   #8
Metallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1 View Post
Oh great, he added an extra hour to it... 1st it was 9, now 10...
Looks like I'll just sit here like an idiot an extra hour... 3:47AM already.
I'll kill my spare time by raging at AMD (already sent a disturbing email to their 'tech support').
He got caught in traffic
Old 10-12-11, 07:55 PM   #9
capttripppp

Quote:

Yuck! How do you drink that stuff? Granted half way through the second you can't taste it, but you have to get 1 and 1/2 down first

"I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1
capttripppp is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 08:02 PM   #10
Metallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttripppp View Post
Yuck! How do you drink that stuff? Granted half way through the second you can't taste it, but you have to get 1 and 1/2 down first
Ehhh, ATM I'm drinking for the effect, not taste. It's the the second most cost efficient way to get drunk. 1 40oz for $2.20 @ 8.1% ABV is like .. 6.7 standard beers for $2.20.

And ... malt liquor grows on you! XD It's so gross, but gives me a warm tingling feeling, that I actually like the taste. Anyways, on to tequila, brb
Old 10-12-11, 08:06 PM   #11
capttripppp

Quote:
Ehhh, ATM I'm drinking for the effect, not taste. It's the the second most cost efficient way to get drunk. 1 40oz for $2.20 @ 8.1% ABV is like .. 6.7 standard beers for $2.20.

And ... malt liquor grows on you! XD It's so gross, but gives me a warm tingling feeling, that I actually like the taste. Anyways, on to tequila, brb
You do have a point, and malt liquor will put hair on you for sure. Tequila is better

Old 10-12-11, 09:01 PM   #12
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

First... @ you drunken slobs... I despise Malt Liquor with a passion...
Only had it once in my life -> 1 x 40oz of Old English was enough for me to learn that I would rather drink antifreeze than any of that crap ever again.

Name:  130.png
Views: 292
Size:  9.8 KB

And getting back on the topic of tonight's session.. I just noticed something.
Name:  huh.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  99.1 KB
I did not know the CHVIE supports AM3+ CPUs.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Old 10-12-11, 09:06 PM   #13
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

He's using the beta BIOS on Asus's website for AM3+ (Bulldozer) CPU support on the C4E.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 268
Size:  9.0 KB

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (97-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 09:09 PM   #14
Sentential
Contributing Member

Anyone taking bets to see if he blows a FET benching this thing?
Sentential is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 09:10 PM   #15
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

Oh wow... I was convinced that the PIN layout was different on the BD chips.

I done got Pinked...

Old 10-12-11, 10:19 PM   #16
cold.nut

NOTE: AM3+ is not support on the Crosshair IV Extreme

after matt having some hassle tonight trying to get his Bulldozer chip running, i finally gave in and called Asus support. they said that it is currently unsupported because it is a Beta BIOS release. i guess there word isn't worth anything on the support website ! +1 to Asus support!

what a joke!

"If you aren't having fun, then you're doing it wrong!"
cold.nut is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 11:19 PM   #17
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold.nut View Post
NOTE: AM3+ is not support on the Crosshair IV Extreme
huhhhhhhhhhh.... what

OH, crosshair 4... wow. So crosshair 4 users won't be ready for BD tomorrow? That sucks man

PSU: Antec 650
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB
CPU Cooler: Noctua D-14
HDD: WD-Caviar 1tb
SSD: Plextor PX-M2 120GB
Sammich is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 11:36 PM   #18
cold.nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
huhhhhhhhhhh.... what

OH, crosshair 4... wow. So crosshair 4 users won't be ready for BD tomorrow? That sucks man
unfortunately yes..

"If you aren't having fun, then you're doing it wrong!"
cold.nut is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-13-11, 02:02 AM   #19
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

To make this clear:

The Crosshair IV Extreme using Beta BIOS 3107 or standard BIOS 2002 does NOT support AM3+ CPUs. On the Asus website, it clearly states BIOS 3107 supports AM3+, however the CIVE is unable to post with an FX-6100 installed.

From what it looks like to me, Asus released that BIOS so they could claim support, but it was a false promise. Glad I already have 990FX board coming, if I was counting on the CIVE I would have $200 paper weight of a CPU until I dropped the money on a new AM3+ mobo. What crap.

So anyways, I tried to kill a 965BE instead. Gave it 2V and 1.7V on the CPU-NB, but the best it could muster was 6.8GHz in CPU-Z, but I also got some solid SP1M and PiFast runs in. A few points for our benchmarking team at least. As it wasn't enough to kill the chip, but frequency wouldn't go any higher... The 965BE lives to die another day.

I should be up and running on the FX-6100 tomorrow or Friday, whenever the Crosshair V Formula arrives. We'll put out a new notice for that, and I'll do pretesting to make sure it's ready.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-13-11, 09:01 AM   #20
Mario1
Grammer, its my favoriate thing

Really hope its on Friday, since I have school.. Had to skip today just to watch the livestream (since it started at 5AM), but that can't happen again, my doctor is kinda pissed off at me for taking poop(censored enough?) load of notes from her.

CPU Cooler; Box AM2 cooler
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance & 1x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 804mhz 9-9-9-24 1T CR
Graphics card: HD3650 1GB DDR2 (400/400, runs at x4 for some weird reason)
HDD: WesternDigital Caviar Black 1TB, SATA III, 64MB Cache
PSU:Corsair CX430
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 (3x 120mm Thermaltake intake fans; 1 front, 1 side, 1 bot. 3x 120mm Thermaltake exhaust fans; 2 top, 1 back)
Mario1 is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > News & Community Announcements
News & Community Announcements Overclocking news and information regarding the Overclockers community