• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't followed the latest quarterly reports out of AMD, but I believe in 2009 they were on a tear of 9 consecutive quarters that they posted a loss in their report. That's been a couple years now, so maybe they aren't doing that every quarter any longer... but the odds are likely not on AMD's side.

Well, since then, they've come out with their APUs, which they're selling as fast as they can make. So their earnings are in the positive now, but still below expectations, due to supply issues from GlobalFoundries. AFAIK, they're also doing very good in the GPU market, but I have not seen any specific data to back that up. Once they get the supply issues, and more importantly, the management issues ironed out, I think they'll be back in the game, as a corporation....even more so if they can fix up bulldozer's single threaded performance/IPC for Piledriver, but they have a lot of work to do there :(

Well, since then, they've come out with their APUs, which they're selling as fast as they can make. So their earnings are in the positive now, but still below expectations, due to supply issues from GlobalFoundries. AFAIK, they're also doing very good in the GPU market, but I have not seen any specific data to back that up. Once they get the supply issues, and more importantly, the management issues ironed out, I think they'll be back in the game, as a corporation....even more so if they can fix up bulldozer's single threaded performance/IPC for Piledriver, but they have a lot of work to do there :(

And a huge lack of corporate direction. Part of AMD's problem is not being able to retain a leader. Leadership is everything in this business and AMD has had little to none.

And a huge lack of corporate direction. Part of AMD's problem is not being able to retain a leader. Leadership is everything in this business and AMD has had little to none.

I still believe they should have retained Dirk Meyer. The company getting back to where it is now is primarily down to his leadership. This new guy is an unknown. :-/

I still believe they should have retained Dirk Meyer. The company getting back to where it is now is primarily down to his leadership. This new guy is an unknown. :-/

Samuel J. Palmisano was an unknown IBM executive who single handedly restructured IBM and got them back into the green... way into the green. Its possible for AMD too. They just need the right stuff. I mean, AMD's board can't be as bad as Yahoo's.

I feel it's the perfect time now for Intel to kill off AMD, if it so wishes. AMD surely didn't give itself much of a fighting chance.

HP, AMD, yahoo...they're all going down under due to **** poor leadership...they need a savior like steve jobs (sarcasm...he wasn't destined to be the next jesus people) just a genius businessmen

I feel it's the perfect time now for Intel to kill off AMD, if it so wishes. AMD surely didn't give itself much of a fighting chance.

They could but that would be bad for Intel. Without AMD, Intel would effectively be a monopoly. You know what the US gov will do to monopolies.

Nope the way I see it, Intel is happy to let AMD have 10% or less of the sales. They only need to innovate enough to be a generation ahead of AMD.

They could but that would be bad for Intel. Without AMD, Intel would effectively be a monopoly. You know what the US gov will do to monopolies.

Nope the way I see it, Intel is happy to let AMD have 10% or less of the sales. They only need to innovate enough to be a generation ahead of AMD.

Besides, I see Apple taking over AMD in the next 2 years anyway.

I wish Microcenter would give me a HUGE deal on an 8150...

AMD really angered me. .Im done with them. Intel from now on unless they can pull something out of their rear to fix the BD.

Mind the language please. -hokie

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if Intel had cut their prices by some 15 - 25 % for all the current processors - AMD doomed.

I do not see a takeover but perhaps a parternership or merger. Now that Jobs (RIP) is gone it may be a possability. But there again if PD does not show that it can readily handle the Intel monster it may just be a pipe dream. Apple left motorola did they not? Why?

I do not see a takeover but perhaps a parternership or merger. Now that Jobs (RIP) is gone it may be a possability. But there again if PD does not show that it can readily handle the Intel monster it may just be a pipe dream. Apple left motorola did they not? Why?

I don't think it would be in Apple's best interest to do business with AMD (partnership/merger-wise). They charge a premium for their computers and, since they use Intel CPU's, they can rightfully claim to have fast machines. Perhaps they might arrange something with AMD for the low end of the market, say the Mac-Mini and perhaps a special deal on graphic cards, but other than that, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. If they used AMD chips and prices stayed the same, that = higher profit margins.. OR they can actually LOWER the price and be more competative in the pricing of their units. ;)

Quite the contrary. If they used AMD chips and prices stayed the same, that = higher profit margins.. OR they can actually LOWER the price and be more competative in the pricing of their units. ;)

Apple can spin anything positive true, but it's easier to use Intel and say, at least semi-seriously "The fastest computer $9,000 can buy!!!!", even if one could build it themselves for 1/3 that :D.

Why are we talking about apple & AMD in a review thread? It's probably time to steer this one back on topic folks.

Back