• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But WHO is doing the gouging? Not AMD. They set their price at $245...so should we hold AMD accountable or the retail chain?

But WHO is doing the gouging? Not AMD. They set their price at $245...so should we hold AMD accountable or the retail chain?

That's true. No, we shouldn't hold AMD accountable for it. I've edited the comment to reflect the following:

EarthDog does bring up a good point though. While I can't recommend this CPU at $280, AMD is not the one gouging right now, the retailers are. I don't blame AMD for what their retailers are doing, nor do I think AMD themselves set the price too high. At the same time, that's what they're selling for and I can't recommend the CPU at that price point.

Once prices drop to MSRP (or, hey, lower would be even better!), all will be well and I'd recommend this CPU as stated in the conclusion to the article.

So while you're right we can't hold AMD accountable for their reseller's gouging, they're still selling there and should not be purchased at that price point. Once retailers bring the prices to a reasonable point, then Bulldozer has my blessing. :)

Hell, you can't even find any 8150 or hardly any 8120 procs in stock right now either. To me, it looks like not only is the performance low, but they can't even manufacture enough to do a decent hard launch of these furnaces.

Well lets hope ivy bridge delivers, as of right now it seems like the only reasonable upgrade for me, not that my 920 @ 4Ghz was slowed down by anything, just wanted BD to live up to all the hype

Hell, you can't even find any 8150 or hardly any 8120 procs in stock right now either. To me, it looks like not only is the performance low, but they can't even manufacture enough to do a decent hard launch of these furnaces.

I wish they hurry up and restock its suppose to be a cold winter:)

Hah hah this reminds me of an old joke.

An Elderly couple goes to a restaurant and after they finish their meal the conversation went as follows.

Waiter: "How was everything tonight?"
Old Man: "Absolutely terrible, the food was cold, i think the fish was rotten, the vegetables were burnt and I found hair in everything!"
Old Woman: "Yes, and the portions were too small!"

So the commentary so far is its sucks no one should buy it, its worthless and why can't I find it in stock?

:)

So the commentary so far is its sucks no one should buy it, its worthless and why can't I find it in stock?

Think it's just morbid curiosity. Yields must really stink on those things.

Meanwhile, Ivy Bridge has entered mass production...

Why are the prices so freaking bloated anyways? The prices are all different. New egg sells the top model for $274. NCIX is like $287 plus shipping if they charge it. Amazon may be a bit around that point. And AMD set the price point for the 8150 at 245?!

Dang you retailers for feeding off the demand D<

Hah hah this reminds me of an old joke.

:)

Because no one seems to want to buy a core for themselves if the reviews say it's crap. I unfortunately don't have the money for one just yet. But I do intend to buy one unless AMD does the same to BD like the Phenoms I (Which we all could say that it was the worst thing ever on silicon since the first pentium). I honestly don't see the point of believing a review to the exact dot just because the reviews say it's a few points, fps, or seconds behind a 2700.

The difference is very minuscule and you will hardly notice the difference honestly. Though I do prefer that AMD fix the BD up, I am not really disappointed.

Last edited:
Why are the prices so freaking bloated anyways? The prices are all different. New egg sells the top model for $274. NCIX is like $287 plus shipping if they charge it. Amazon may be a bit around that point. And AMD set the price point for the 8150 at 245?!

Dang you retailers for feeding off the demand D<

Because no one seems to want to buy a core for themselves if the reviews say it's crap. I unfortunately don't have the money for one just yet. But I do intend to buy one unless AMD does the same to BD like the Phenoms I (Which we all could say that it was the worst thing ever on silicon since the first pentium). I honestly don't see the point of believing a review to the exact dot just because the reviews say it's a few points, fps, or seconds behind a 2700.

The difference is very minuscule and you will hardly notice the difference honestly. Though I do prefer that AMD fix the BD up, I am not really disappointed.

There is a very large difference in performance/watt and heat generation though, especially in comparison to the 2500k and 2600k.

I still don't think I would be able to recommend Bulldozer at $245-250 when it only sometimes competed with the 2500k, if it was around $200 then I would consider it for people who heavily favored AMD and were only going to be doing heavy multitasking (no single-threaded applications).

Oh, and I searched the entire thread and didn't see anyone use this term. I shall now coin this chip *drum roll*

Dulldozer

Looks like Dulldozer will be Phenom1 style, may as well wait for Piledriver which we can hope would be akin to a Phenom2 and have the performance to finally beat a Phenom2

The price is per thousand. That is usually the way they set price, not retail. $245,000 per 1000 units. Get 999 of your friends to go in on a batch and you get it for $245. That is still pretty high though IMO.

Here, fresh off the press. All about Bulldozer. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/can-amd-survive-bulldozers-disappointing-debut.ars

The stated price is not per thousand. The MSRP is for a PIB (processor in a box). $245 is what AMD suggests. Retailers charge what they want based on availability and demand. They know many early adopters aren't that price sensitive, and I would guess availability is limited. By Christmas I would expect to see prices drop closer to msrp.

The price is per thousand. That is usually the way they set price, not retail. $245,000 per 1000 units. Get 999 of your friends to go in on a batch and you get it for $245. That is still pretty high though IMO.

Here, fresh off the press. All about Bulldozer. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/can-amd-survive-bulldozers-disappointing-debut.ars

the price isn't per thousand units.

:bang head:bang head:bang head
Also why does everyone think that because bulldozer isn't as perfect or efficient as we had hyped it up to be that this is the end of AMD. AMD still has the GPU market in a good place and BD isn't all that bad. in the OEM market it is likely to sell good and that is a much larger portion than us. AMD also has the Llano APU's going into the mobile market and from the reviews I have read they are excellent!

before someone accuses me of being an AMD fanboy save your time. I am far from an AMD fanboy, I have up until this point only owned Intel and nvidia products. yes I bought BD, but I purchased everything after the NDA was lifted so I am not some poor sucker trying to make myself feel better about my spent money. I knew the performance and bought BD anyways.

bmwbaxter How do you like your BD is it doing good for you, i read in one post it's having trouble gaming.:)

bmwbaxter How do you like your BD is it doing good for you, i read in one post it's having trouble gaming.:)

I don't game. I bench :rock: gonna be running it under a full pot of ln2 next weekend going for a nice cpuz validation.

but just from using it I can't noticed any downsides to the CPU. for everyday use it is just fine, thats why I am confident it will do fine in the OEM market.

as for how it does gaming check this out. Its not terrible but its not great, it performs about where it is priced. power consumption is going to be its biggest problem i think.

Sorry guys, when they set a price it is for OEMs and the price was per thousand. Here's a ss of intel and amd prices, notice 1k tray prices. That's 1000 pieces. Why jump on me when you can see for yourself. I've been in this a long time. Put in over 500 cpus myself. Like a megabyte and a million kinda thing.

intelprices.JPG amdprices.JPG

Last edited:
Back