Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Thermalright HR-02 Macho Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 09:19 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Thermalright HR-02 Macho Review

Muddocktor takes a close look at the Thermalright HR 02 Macho, a heatsink designed for use with and without a fan. As a revamped and low price brother to the original HR 02, how does it perform...?

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by David; 10-19-11 at 09:39 AM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-19-11, 09:24 AM   #2
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Another excellent article, which is a pleasure to read.

Thanks Jim!

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-19-11, 11:13 PM   #3
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Thank you David.

I figured this one would gather some attention right away, especially with it's performance for the price it sells for, but I guessed wrong.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-11, 01:24 AM   #4
snowbrdd

Great read, GJ as usual.
snowbrdd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-11, 02:41 AM   #5
Charpy
Registered

Interesting.. Never seen a heatsink with holes/slots in the fins before.. Are there any others that are like that as well?

Also, what size are they? Ok its a slot and not a hole, but if you drill a hole in a plate, you actually lose surface area when the hole diameter is twice that to the plate thickness, so something similar will occur if too big slots are used. At least from the pictures they seem big enough to do that..

Wouldn't losing surface area be bad for dispersing heat, or am I getting something wrong here.. Or! Is it to, again, reduce cost?

Argh.. Have to stop thinking too much into heatsink design. It's hurting my brain.
Charpy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-11, 08:45 AM   #6
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

The big hole in the middle area of the heatsink is to give you access to the mounting screw with a long shank screwdriver to mount the heatsink. The slots are there to help promote airflow between the fins I guess, in fanless mode. This heatsink was originally designed a year ago or so to run without a fan; just using normal case airflow for cooling. I'm no thermodynamics engineer that can give you a scientific reason for them though.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-11, 09:58 AM   #7
GoD_tattoo

This is an impressive cooler. Especially at that price. Great review as usual. Looking forward to more availability of these. I may have to pick one up.

i7 3930K @ 4.5 GHZ
2X XFX Double D Black Edition 7970's
Crucial M4-256gb boot drive, 4x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
24gb G-Skill 1600
PSU Buying Guide Core 2 Overclocking Guide Miah's i3,i5,i7 O/C Guide Classified Rules

My HWBOT My Heat
GoD_tattoo is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-27-11, 12:29 PM   #8
Omsion

I had wanted to use this HS for a build ~1.5 months ago (think it was announced 3-4 months ago), but was disappointed to discover it really was unavailable anywhere, which still appears to be the case

Well, not that I would have any use for one now =p

Seasonic X650 | Fractal Design Define Mini
Omsion is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-27-11, 02:05 PM   #9
fatlardo
Registered

I would have picked this up, but I was offered a good price for the Noctua. This thing looks huge! So Im sure the cooling is very very good.
fatlardo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-27-11, 02:19 PM   #10
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

If you are worried about buying from Nan's, they also sell through Amazon too and for the same price. That way you have Amazon guaranteeing that you will have your goods delivered.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool